THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Artist

foxy
This topic is 4598 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Michel Hazanavicius has created something brand new... a black & white silent film. I thought it was terrific with amazing attention to detail of the period from the opening credits and all the way through. Wonderful performances by Jean Dujardin, Bernice Beju and John Goodman. Looks like an Oscar winner to me.

I just didn't get it. I still can't figure out what all the fuss and bother is about. Did the critics and I see the same film? Yes, a lovely story but hardly an earth shattering film. The story borrows a bit from "A Star Is Born" and perghaps "Singing In The Rain". The sets, costumes and acting are all first rate. Personally, I thought the dog stole the flick!

ED

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw this finally over the weekend. An incredible change of pace, both in scope and acting. The amount of detail given to each framed scene provided a lot for me to take in and color my perspective of the tale as it unfolded. As someone whose hearing is failing and has a hard time tracking quickly delivered dialogue, it touched me and was very enjoyable. I am in lust for Mr. Valentine. And the dog was adorable and a star.

and the winner is...

I have watched this movie over and over.

The more I watch it , the more I see in it, and the more I like it.

Most recently watched it with my friend in the desert. This film grows on me.

Tonight the Academy awarded it Oscars for;

Best Picture

Best Director

Best Actor

Best Costume Design and

Best Original Score.

Not bad. And of the 9 films nominated for Best Picture, it was the ONLY one filmed entirely in Hollywood (Los Angeles).

I enjoyed "The Artist" very much, but I thought it was basically a very clever insider's joke for film students, which is why it would appeal to members of the Academy. I wonder how many outsiders appreciated it, or how many will watch it again after the buzz has died.

Archived