THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Broadway Dec 21: Hugh Jackman & Porgy and Bess

WilliamM
This topic is 4665 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hugh Jackman Back on Broadway was well into the second act before I realized why I was not enjoying the show. Jackman had just completed a nice medley of Peter Allen songs as an introduction to singing songs from the films that he loved. Most of the songs were sung in movies by Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly or Judy Garland.

By age 43, Hugh's current age, the three film performers had decades of experience in TV, Broadway or concerts as well as movie musicals. Jackman has very little experience in those fields, because action films are so important today. He's arguably a better natural singer than Astaire or Kelly, but there is no place for him to gain experience without taking a huge pay cut. Hugh Jackman seems like a great person, but I would not call him a great entertainer...not yet.

I enjoyed Porgy and Bess much more at last night's performance. It's hard to beat the Gershwins, George and Ira. This production has three notable stars (Audra McDonald, Norm Lewis, David Alan Grier) giving amazing performances. Many people may not know or remember the story, so I do not want to go into detail, because it would mean spoilers. This was the fourth or fifth preview & there is significant room for improvement. The setting is drab...most appropriate, but it's difficult to look at for 2.5 hours. Some supporting cast members are not getting the most out of those Gershwin songs (My Man's Gone Now, especially). At times, the story is slightly difficult to follow.

For me, there were often too many people on stage, but once Audra, Norm and David are up to full speed, it is less of an issue.

All in all a great night (and I hope for many others in the coming weeks and months) on Broadway.

Archived