THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The new MET Faust

whipped guy
This topic is 4676 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone seen the new production of Gounod's Faust at the MET either in the theater or via the HD broadcast? I listened to Saturdays radio transmission and enjoyed it quite a bit. It had been a long time since I had listened to the piece and was reminded of how many good tunes are scattered throughout the work. Is there anything more catchy or exciting than that final trio? Pape as Mephistopheles and Kaufmann as Faust sounded on top of their game... and Poplavaskaya as Marguerite was decent as well if not quite as plush of voice compared to the very best. But what of the production itself??? White lab coats and a modernistic laboratory setting were mentioned in the commentary... not something that I would necessarily associate with a traditional Faust! Ugh! I just checked out the stage designs in Opera News... does it all really work?!

I'm seeing "Faust" on Dec. 20 with Yannick Nezet-Seguin conducting, so we can compare notes. I have to think that the Met is disappointed in Jonus Kaufmann's review (Times. New Yorker). Hasn't the Met almost declared Kaufmann the next big male opera star...of course, the Met is not alone in that opinion.

Archived