THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Godspell

edjames
This topic is 4548 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The revival of Godspell opened on Nov 7 to mixed reviews at Circle In The Square. I saw the production this past weekend and have to say I enjoyed the show very much.

I'm at that age where I can say "I saw the original production" all too frequently these days, but despite my nostalgic remembrance of the original from 1971, I found this version quite good.

The show, based on the gospel of St. Matthew, with music by Stephen Schwartz, is a lively modern take on the gospel and has some very moving and fun moments. The script has been updated, in what appears to be a daily occurrence, to include todfays headlines, references to Lindsay Lohan and during the weekend the Herman Cain scandals.

Hot and hunky actor Hunter Parrish stars and makes his entrance in a pair of white boxers and a tight a-shirt showing off his chiseled body! He's not bad, but others in cast far exceed his vocal talent. Of special note is Telly Leung, who is a multi-talented young man with a voice that truly soars. He too, is hot and cute. He has been on Glee as one of the Warblers.

This production features an energetic cast. They run up and down the aisles and have a group of folks in the front of the stage that get to participate in the show.

Fun and inspiring.

ED

The show, based on the gospel of St. Matthew, with music by Stephen Schwartz, is a lively modern take on the gospel and has some very moving and fun moments. The script has been updated, in what appears to be a daily occurrence, to include todfays headlines, references to Lindsay Lohan and during the weekend the Herman Cain scandals.

We did this show when I was in high school in the 80s. If my memory is correct, the scripting actually encouraged ad libs and current references to help keep it interesting to current audiences.

• 1 month later...

Will "Godspell" survive the Winter Season...

The revival of Godspell opened on Nov 7 to mixed reviews at Circle In The Square...The show, based on the gospel of St. Matthew, with music by Stephen Schwartz, is a lively modern take on the gospel and has some very moving and fun moments. The script has been updated, in what appears to be a daily occurrence, to include todays headlines, references to Lindsay Lohan and during the weekend the Herman Cain scandals.....This production features an energetic cast. They run up and down the aisles and have a group of folks in the front of the stage that get to participate in the show...ED

Ed, Good synopsis/review of the play. Attended a Wednesday matinee of "Godspell". Show starts at 2:30pm rather than the traditional 2pm....Day of discount tickets are easy to purchase at TKTS (no long lines during the winter) and, at this performance, the theater was about 2/3rds full.

I really enjoy "theater in the round", there are no bad seats. Also, finding the band sitting in the seats, almost right next to you, is rather different and I liked it... Btw, there are a lot of doors that open on that stage floor. The trampoline number was quite entertaining and fun. There is also audience participation and you are invited to join the cast on stage for wine.

I struggled with the first 10 minutes of the play. At first, hard to follow but it gets easier and more lively as it proceeds.

A young, lively, energetic, and very talented cast. Hunter Parish (better known for his role as Silas Botwin on Showtime: "Weeds") plays Jesus. He's a soft spoken actor who has an average singing voice for Broadway. Personally, I didn't find him shinning or taking control of this role, seemed weak. Although he's very likeable, I think he's better suited for romance type roles (as he did in "Spring Awakening") or playing the part of a troubled teen (as in "WEEDS")....however, the stand out performance for me was given by "Glee" actor Telly Leung. Great singing and acting. He's funny, does lots of impersonations, and even entertains the audience during intermission. I think we'll be seeing more of this multi-talented actor on Broadway.

As Ed mentioned, this 70's play has been updated. There's mention to current topics such as the "Occupy Movement", Charlie Sheen "winning", Republican candidates, Donald Trump.. etc...

A few of the songs were quite popular back then, "Day by Day" being the biggest.... The crucifixion scene was well done and rather emotional...

There are better shows to see on Broadway than "Godspell" and I won't put this on the top of a priority list, but, I won't write it off either.

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/S_Z/Wa_Wh/Weeds/season6/weeds-95.jpg

HUNTER PARRISH in "Weeds"

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/hunter-parrish-godspell.png

Hunter Parrish as Jesus in "Godspell"

http://www.playbill.com/images/photo/g/o/godspell460.jpg

http://data.whicdn.com/images/17478692/hunter-parrish-godspell-opening-night-after-party-04_large.jpg

• 2 months later...
The revival of Godspell opened on Nov 7 to mixed reviews at Circle In The Square. I saw the production this past weekend and have to say I enjoyed the show very much.

+1

I did catch this show last night with an old friend of mine and had a blast.

It was Hunter Parrish's farewell performance in this show. Boy, he'll be missed. http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z222/cmoFL/th_hatsoff.gif

Archived