THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Sena Jurinac

Charlie
This topic is 4691 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There was a small notice in yesterday's paper of the death of Sena Jurinac, one of the loveliest sopranos I ever saw, at the age of 90. Even when she was past her prime, she could still give a riveting performance, as she did when I saw her as Iphigenie en Tauride at Covent Garden in the 1970's. RIP.

I too read of the passing of Sena Jurinac yesterday. I knew her by reputation and recordings only. By all accounts, her Marschallin was remarkable. The recordings I have heard of her in Mozart are wonderful. Here is a youtube clip of her performing one of my favorite arias, Mi Tradi from Don Giovanni. A truly great performance from Covent Garden in 1962. RIP

[video=youtube;prcZkPIVjE8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prcZkPIVjE8

I also heard about this a couple of days ago. Actually her photo was placed on the Operashare home page as is usually done when a singer of note passes on... and I did not recognize her. For some reason she was one of those artists who was well respected and usually always got good to excellent reviews, but somehow remained on the periphery of the operatic world as opposed to being a superstar. For that reason I was really never overly familiar with her work in spite of having been immersed in opera since my high school days. Interestingly the overwhelming majority of her currently available recordings are live as opposed to studio recordings as she was to some extent ignored by the recording industry... and that included being passed over in favor of some lesser luminaries as well. However, her live work along with her small collection of studio based recordings... Mozart in particular... are a legacy that would make any singer proud. RIP.

Archived