THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Disney On The Cheap: Budget "Newsies" To Hit Broadway

Lucky
This topic is 4428 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Disney has announced a 3 month run for the musical Newsies, which was a success at the Paper Mill Playhouse in New Jersey. Disney will only expend $5 million on the show, compared to $14 million for the flop Tarzan, and $15 million for the disappointing Little Mermaid.

Jeremy Jordan starred in the Paper Mill version, but he is now cast in Bonnie & Clyde, replacing Stark Sands, who is in the musical Hair, but had played Clyde in the LaJolla Playhouse debut of the show.

It would be ironic if Sands now took the part that Jordan made popular in New Jersey.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/11/16/arts/16newsies/16newsies-articleLarge.jpg

Read all of the behind the scenes gossip here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/theater/disney-starts-small-for-newsies-the-musical.html?ref=theater

(pic from Times article.)

• 4 months later...

The reviews are in. The NY Post liked, as did the Daily News. The Times not so much, and Terry Teachout at the Journal gave it little space, calling it a "loser" except for the "knockout tap ensemble at the top of the second act."

It sounds like one big song follows another, with the performers constantly dancing, doing flips, and generally exhibiting youthful energy. Jeremy Jordan is widely recognized as an upcoming star. The story itself sounds like a big yawn.

My reaction to the reviews is that the show sounds a bit tiresome, with songs that go on and on and choreography that wears one out. I only have two slots left in my theater schedule, so one will likely go to The Columnist, and one will likely go to...Newsies?

(Teachout gave Lost in Yonkers such a good review today that I added it to my list of ticketed shows.)

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't know what to expect when I went to see the Disney Production of "Newsies, the Musical". Friends had told me the movie was a "bomb", I never saw it but take their word on it...

Newsies is a play about NYC paperboys in 1899 and their struggle to survive. When the owners of the newspaper, "The World", decide to increase the paperboys' cost for selling the papers, the boys decide to strike and form a union.

The play has a very youthful and energetic cast. What keeps your interest is the amazing dancing and singing. More dancing than I've ever seen in one show. I was exhausted just watching them perform. Enjoyable songs that were excellently sung. From the opening number to the very last, they had won me over.

Jeremy Jordan played the part of Jack Kelly, the leader of this crew. He had his role down to a tee. As the show unfolded, this very likeable lead became a star with the audience. He did an amazing job. He can sing, dance, act, and fall in love. Kara Lindsay, making her Broadway debut, played Katherine Plumber/Pulitzer, the unsuspecting daughter of the paper's owner. She was perfect for this Disney Production.

This is a very good looking and talented cast. They put their heart and soul into developing these roles. The end result, a play worth seeing.

It's good entertainment. Just sit back and enjoy!

Coop

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Jeremy Jordan exits Newsies on September 4th to concentrate on his role in the tv show Smash. His replacement is Corey Cott, who joined the Newsies ensemble in July after graduating in May from Carnegie Mellon University. Poor kid. The Times used Jeremy's picture in the article about the change. This is Corey:

http://newyorktheater.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/coreycottnewsies.jpg?w=630

Archived