THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Revival of Evita

justaguy
This topic is 4531 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just got an announcement of pre-ticket sales for a Broadway revival of Evita. The cast will be Ricky Martin (Che), Elena Roger (Evita) and Michael Cerveris (Juan Perón). The director will be Michael Grandage. It’s set to run March 12 through June 8.

It’s been so long since I’ve seen the musical that I don’t remember much of Che’s role. If you know the music, do you think Martin will be good in the role?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got an announcement of pre-ticket sales for a Broadway revival of Evita. The cast will be Ricky Martin (Che), Elena Roger (Evita) and Michael Cerveris (Juan Perón). The director will be Michael Grandage. It’s set to run March 12 through June 8.

It’s been so long since I’ve seen the musical that I don’t remember much of Che’s role. If you know the music, do you think Martin will be good in the role?

Whether he's good or not, he is eye-candy with mass GAY appeal and i believe he will bring in the audiences. He is also well Loved for his philanthropic involvements and his work with abused kids in the slave trade.

I agree that Ricky Martin does look to be an example of celebrity-casting but it is worth noting that this is a transfer of the 2006 London revival of Evita directed by Michael Grandage. Elena Roger was the star of that and won rave reviews so it could be worth seeing just for her.

In the London production, Che was played by an actor who - though not gay as far as I am aware - was physically slighter and less obviously macho than Antonio Banderas. I imagine the director was anxious to put his own stamp on the production so it did not appear as a carbon-copy of the original. Of course, that does not mean Mr Martin will be good but I am fairly sure that the director wants a different take on the part

I am fairly sure that Elena Roger will make up for any possible doubts about Ricky Martin. Many people in London thought she was the best Evita ever.

I know she has done quite a bit of work on Broadway already but this could be her really big breakthrough.

I bought my ticket from this advance offer, and commented to friends it's one of the few times in years that I have paid full price.

I think Martin will be sensational as Che...he has the Latin fire, the voice, the sex appeal, and having seen him on Broadway in Les Mis years ago, he did a great job....

I have heard nothing but raves about Elena Roger, and cannot wait to see her, and of course Michael Cerveris will be terrific as Peron. (When is he not terrific?)

And a friend of mine who both danced in one number, and choreographed another in Broadway Bares this year, is in the ensemble.

I cannot wait.... And am pleased to say there's a lot of theater in between.

• 4 months later...

I saw Evita tonight. It's currently in previews.

Let's start with Ricky Martin. He's a solid and likable Che. I thought he

gave an excellent performance. His job isn't to steal the show but to

provide a strong spring board for the fantastic role of Evita. I was

very afraid it was going to be "she bangs, she bangs...", but it was far

from it. He really is a terrific dancer, actor, and singer.

Michael Cerveris as Peron is everything you hoped he’d be.

Strong and masculine. The powerful alpha male, who falls under

Evita’s all-encompassing spell. Full of Argentinian pomp and flare,

he makes a perfect mirror for Evita’s aspirations.

A brief mention of Rachel Potter who plays the mistress that sings

“Another suitcase in another hall”. Her performance of that one song

is worth the price of admission alone. Absolutely stunning.

The staging is beautiful and inventive. The use of the balconies

is amazing. They practically become a part of the performance.

The score is unstoppable and as beautiful as you remember.

Now for the bad part. Elena Roger is a horrible Evita. Her voice is

weak, hollow, and nasal. Her stature is miniscule and almost comical.

I know she got rave reviews in London for this roll a few years

ago, but I can’t imagine how. She is disastrously miscast. Period.

Everyone in the cast (and I mean everyone) gives a better

performance than she does. The only bright side is her dancing

is excellent. But do you really go to see Evita for her dancing abilities?

The show is 80% amazing.

Unfortunately the 20% that is horrible is Evita herself.

I predict they will replace Elena Roger soon or it will close quickly…..she’s THAT bad.

I saw it in London with Elena Roger, and have to agree about her singing> I saw it on three occasions over the course of the year, and her performance was terribly inconsistent> Dancing always amazing, acting fiery, but with diction difficult to decipher, but singing was really sub par, and here she has some big shoes to fill> I will see it on Monday and am curious to hear if her stamina and vocals have improved, but from the previous poster's review it would seem not...... I would be surprised if they replaced her as they seem to have a lot of faith in her, but I don't think American audiences will be so tolerant of her bad singing-especially with memories of how great Patti was in the role

Saw it on Monday night, thought Roger was an unmitigated disaster, much worse than when I heard her in London 6 years ago> Totally out-sung by Rachel Potter as the Mistress> Martin is very likeable but for me he is too sweet and soft-grained to play Che-his vocals also don't quite have enough edge or bite for my ideal of Che-and he plays it with very little sense of irony. Most people like Cerveris, but I found him bland and lacking in charisma and stature to play Peron> production looks beautiful, and choreography excellent, but I will be curious to see how Elena Roger is perceieved> I get that some people think Patti is too brash, but Eva Peron was no shrinking violet. I loved the Magaldi too!

There are 3 reader reviews at the NY Times, and all 3 comment on how bad Ms. Roger's singing is.

And to think I paid full price for my upcoming visit to see this show.

Ricky had better be darn good...and sexy too!

Rogers did get a good write up in the Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/theater/elena-roger-brings-native-touch-to-broadway-evita.html?src=me&ref=theater

I bought my ticket early, got amazing seats and thenm four months later, discovered that Ms. Roger doesn't perform on Wednesday evenings or Saturday matinees. Of course my ticket is for Wed evening. Went to the box office and of course they couldn't give me great seats on another evening.

So I bought a cheap single in the back for a Roger night. With the buzz circulating here about Roger's singing, I am really looking forward to seeing the alternate on Wednesday evening. (4/18)

I didn't read the above comments about Evita till after I saw it... Had no problem getting discounted tickets at TKTS. My seat was in the orchestra row J.

Nice review by nycman... I enjoyed the singing, acting, and dancing, but not Elena Roger (Eva Peron). She's very small, perhaps 4'10" and couldn't weigh much more than 100lbs. She's not attractive, her voice is powerful but wasn't pleasant to listen to. I didn't feel she connected with the audience and wasn't a believable Eva Peron. Not sure what they were thinking when they selected her for the starring role.

Ricky Martin does a fine job but not excellent.

Once this show officially opens, it will be interesting to read the reviews.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/07/03/arts/03evit_lg.jpg

ELENA ROGER as Eva Peron

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/tsminteractive.com/files/2012/03/ricky-martin-evita-revival-mustache.jpg

RICKY MARTIN as Che

Totally agree. Rogers was awful. Can't imagine what anyone saw in her. When I think of all the talent out there. Saw the original production with Lupone who is not my favorite but she was a million times better than Rogers. Rachel Potter's number was beautiful I thought. So much better voice. She was Wednesday in The Adams Family. Ricky was good and had a lot of fans in the audience and on the line in the men's room.

Totally agree. Rogers was awful. Can't imagine what anyone saw in her. When I think of all the talent out there. Saw the original production with Lupone who is not my favorite but she was a million times better than Rogers. Rachel Potter's number was beautiful I thought. So much better voice. She was Wednesday in The Adams Family. Ricky was good and had a lot of fans in the audience and on the line in the men's room.

The original production starred Elaine Paige not Patti LuPone. Actors Equity refused to allow Paige to come to NYC to re-create her role from the original production so the producers cast LuPone.

The original production starred Elaine Paige not Patti LuPone. Actors Equity refused to allow Paige to come to NYC to re-create her role from the original production so the producers cast LuPone.

thanks for spelling her name correctly. amazing how so many folks can't take the time to use 'the google' and figure these things out.

thanks for spelling her name correctly. amazing how so many folks can't take the time to use 'the google' and figure these things out.

And I didn't need Google. I actually knew how to spell it. Reminds me of a story of when the great director William Wyler accepted a life achievement award and in his acceptance speech he started talking about the "auteur" theory of filmmaking and said .... "and I'm one of the few in the film business who can actually spell auteur."

Archived