THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Art of Fielding- a great book with a great gay subplot

Lucky
This topic is 4474 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The gay novel has taken it on the chin as gay people have increasingly become part of the mainstream. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harback is not a gay novel, but what it is is a sign of how far we have come, for it has a strong gay subplot of young love, and no one seems to find that controversial. Well, maybe they do. Once I knew I was going to read the novel, I didn't read anything about it. I knew it was doing well on the charts, I knew it focused on a skilled young baseball player, Henry Skrimshander. Henry's relationship with the team's captain and catcher is rather homoerotic in itself, but no more so than many straight guys who play sports together in a close knit team.

Henry's roommate is Owen Dunne, the openly gay and scholarly teammate on the baseball team,known as the Buddha for reasons you will discover if you read the book. The cast, as it were, is rounded out for the main roles by the young girl Pella, 23, who has come to live with her father, Guert Affenlight, who is the president of this midwestern college where most of the story takes place.

College novels are red meat for authors, because they can make a lot take place in a known, finite time. Once college is over, those folks who just could not do without each other tend to move on. There is an ending to their relationship as their lives will change, and no matter how much they say they will keep in touch, we know that this is likely the highlight of their time together.

The love interest for Owen is, at first, a studly young jock. But his affection for the president began when he was 14 and read a book that Affenlight had written. Then Affenlight got him the scholarship to attend the college, oddly named Westish. So it is not a surprise when it turns out that they might have affections for each other too. Could a 60 year old man truly be loved by a young college guy? You sure think so in this novel, and that fact alone makes it a good read for many of the guys here.

Over the 4 year span of the novel, romance happens, victory then defeat then victory as the team comes together, crisis, more romance, and it all leads, in its 500+ pages to a very satisfying story, one that you will be sorry to see end. Now I can go and read the reviews, see what folks are saying about the gay subplot, and then return here to see if I motivated any of you to read this fine novel.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky - Thanks for your comments on this book. I purchased "The Art of Fielding" & "The Leftovers" well over a month ago to read while I was on the plane for an overseas trip. I elected to take "The Leftovers" with me and left the other behind. It sounds like I have left "The Leftovers". Honestly, I never would have picked up "The Art of Fielding" when I did, in advance of any reviews, but a friend who knows the author's parents recommended it. Based on your comments I am now motivated to pick the book up and start reading it.

You are right that The Art of Fielding has taken it on the chin, especially on Amazon. Since the book is 500 pages, may I ask a question? How would you compare The Art of Fielding with Peter Lefcourt's The Dreyfus Affair, which was a sucess financially & with readers? I understand that the two novels may only share one thing: baseball. The Dreyfus Affairs was seemingly a more in your face gay novel, or I wrong about that?

First of all, I am thrilled that my post received some responses, as I truly liked this book and hope others read it. But I might not have made myself clear. I said the gay novel has taken it on the chin, not this novel. By that I mean gay bookstores have closed, gay book sections at Barnes & Noble and the now defunct Borders had little to offer. It seemed that the market for a "gay" novel has dried up. I did not know the responses on Amazon when I got this book. Once I decide to read a book or see a play or a movie, I read no reviews so that I can make up my own mind. Afterward I rush to read the reviews to see if they agree with me, or what I missed. I cannot compare this novel, which is essentially a "straight" novel with a strong gay subplot, to The Dreyfuss Affair, since I did not read the latter book. However, if you think it is worth a read, I will add it to my list. I do have one strong objection with The Art of Fielding, but I can not state it without revealing a major plot turn. I did hint at it, and in a few months we can discuss it after others have had a chance to read the novel unaware of the plot turn.

As for the negative comments, they are clearly from people uncomfortable with homosexuality. I discard them as I am not. Reviewers seem to love the novel as the reviews are quite favorable.

"The Dreyfus Affair" is about a second baseman and a shortstop---team mates---who fall in love will each other during a pennant race. It's a well-written interesting gay novel. Dreyfus is a sports writer...gay friendly...but he begins to notice how friendly the two players at on the field. I recommend it strongly.

I look forward to reading The Art of Fielding...sorry it took me so long to respond.

I enjoyed the Dreyfus Affair very much. In face, at the time, I was reading it, I developed an on line comradeship with a Miami of Florida baseball player who was considering whether or not to come out. After completing it, I sent my copy off to him. Never heard from him again. Wonder what happened to him and if he came out. Ships that pass in the night without unloading any cargo.

• 2 weeks later...

Colin Cotterill

Lucky -- Thanks for starting this thread which has added two books to my reading list. Got to pick up some things on hold for me at the library today, so I'll look for The Art of Fielding and The Dreyfus Affair.

As payback, knowing your interest in SE Asia, let me recommend an author I discovered a couple of months ago: Colin Cotterill. He has a series of mystery novels set in post-revolutionary Laos that give a vivid look into a culture I knew nothing about. They feature a 60-something year old coroner. His latest novel, Killed at the Whim of a Hat, is set in southern Thailand and has a new main character. I think you'll enjoy them.

newatthis, I enjoy our book sharing threads, and thank you for thinking of me. But, I did read Killed at the Whim of A Hat a few weeks ago.

It didn't match up to the other Thailand novels we talk about, but it has been a bit of a drought, so all are welcome.

Speaking of gay novels, but not a Thai related one, The Stranger's Child is Alan Hollinghurst's first novel in several years.

It is not a smooth read, but is ultimately interesting.

...I did read Killed at the Whim of A Hat a few weeks ago. It didn't match up to the other Thailand novels we talk about, but it has been a bit of a drought, so all are welcome. Speaking of gay novels, but not a Thai related one, The Stranger's Child is Alan Hollinghurst's first novel in several years.

It is not a smooth read, but is ultimately interesting.

I agree with you about Whim of a Hat. His early Laotian books are more interesting (though pretty much without gay content) just because the culture is so unfamilar (at least to me).

Funny -- one of the books I'm picking up today is Hollinghurst's new novel!

The Stranger's Child is Alan Hollinghurst's first novel in several years. It is not a smooth read' date=' but is ultimately interesting.[/quote']

I was about 200 pages into The Stranger's Child when I had to put it down for a bit to read Tolstoy's 120-page novella, Hadji Murat. I agree that The Stranger's Child is not a smooth read, but I was still enjoying it. Hadji Murat is a brillant piece of writing. I should probably take a short time off before going back to Hollinghurst's book. I know my comments are unfair to The Stranger's Child (I have liked his other books), especially since Tolstoy's novella has no gay theme. Hollingsworth is in good company; few author are as good as Tolstoy.

You know, I interrupted my reading of The Stranger's Child to take a stab at Proust. A few minutes later I was back at Hollinghurst.

I wonder if Tolstoy will take as long to come out with his next novel as Hollinghurst did!

OK, kidding, but you are a bit late in getting around to Hadji Murat!

No doubt Hollinghurst will be a breeze after that.

You know, I interrupted my reading of The Stranger's Child to take a stab at Proust. A few minutes later I was back at Hollinghurst.

I wonder if Tolstoy will take as long to come out with his next novel as Hollinghurst did!

No doubt Hollinghurst will be a breeze after that.

Interesting response, since I essentially agreed with you about The Stranger's Child.

My sense of humor was either on vacation, or asleep! Hadji Murat is an assignment for a Russian History class, a Tolstoy novella about Russia's Chechen problem over a 100 years ago. Very good, but I thought it would not be read outside of a Russian History course.

My sense of humor was either on vacation, or asleep! Hadji Murat is an assignment for a Russian History class, a Tolstoy novella about Russia's Chechen problem over a 100 years ago. Very good, but I thought it would not be read outside of a Russian History course.

WilliamM, I read all of your posts after this, and see that we are both gay men who like baseball, theater, and reading. So we have a lot in common, but perhaps you are not ready for my humor. Someday, maybe?

I enjoyed the Dreyfus Affair very much...
For me, it was a very quick read. I enjoyed it, but it didn't make me want to go out and read any more of Lefcourt's considerable body of work. Level of writing was competent, plot was pretty predictable, and it lacked the redeeming virture of explicit, steamy sex :(.

The Stranger's Child

...The Stranger's Child is Alan Hollinghurst's first novel in several years. It is not a smooth read, but is ultimately interesting.
There's no "ultimately" in it for me; I've been enjoying it immensely since picking it up. I'm about halfway through right now. His dense prose is just delicious; I savor every phrase and sentence.

I'm about halfway through right now. His dense prose is just delicious; I savor every phrase and sentence.

I am about where you are in the book. I agree about the delicious pross. I was savouring every phrase as well, but now it is getting in the way of the story. I hope that changes soon.

Due to be Published....

It's interesting to have posters reading the same book at the same time, or close to it.

Maybe a book club could work here.

There are two potentionally interesting books coming up after the first of the year:

'Jack Holmes and His Friend: A Novel' by Edmund White (400 pages)...publication date January 17, 2012

'Eminent Outlaws: The Gay Writers Who Changes America' by Christopher Bram (384 pages)...publication date February 2, 2012

Both books could be interesting, and could probably be read at such a pace that others could keep along and report in on their thoughts.

With fiction my tendency is to read to the end, but with nonfiction, I can take breaks to discuss it.

• 2 weeks later...

The Art of Fielding" 5 stars

Lucky, I want to thank you for recommending "The Art of Fielding." I enjoyed it very much. The book also gave me a huge amount of respect for a Cardinal rookie pitcher (circa 2000) who last season played for another National League team -- trying not to give away too much of the story in "The Art of Fielding." I do not know how I missed this book when it was published. But, I do know that I almost most certainly would not have read it without your mention. Thanks so much!

WilliamM, I am pleased to hear this! I should update some of my comments on other books:

11/22/63- I raved about the first half of this novel, which was a romp in the late fifties. Then he got into Oswald and it didn't all work for me. Didn't ruin it either. Can't say more.

But, he did not discuss what Kennedy would have done if had lived.

newatthis: Vulture Peak is the new John Burdett novel. Not at my library yet.

Archived