THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Lyons

skynyc
This topic is 4733 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw Nicky Silver's new play this week starring Linda Lavin, Dick Latessa, Michael Esper and Kate Jennings Grant covers territory that we've seen time and time again. Silver has long populated his plays with impossible, dysfunctional families, and the Lyons are the granddaddy of them all. The first act was just funny, funny, funny, especially if you like black humor. Linda Lavin can make more of a "hmmmm" or a "tsk" than imaginable. Opens with Lavin sitting in her husband's (Latessa) hospital room, where he is imminently dying of cancer. Their two children are on the way, having just gotten the news that he's sick, but no details. As family untruths unravel, and we see just how screwed up the kids are, it's almost like watching an episode of Jerry Springer.

The second act, after a short scene in front of the curtain, spirals out of control, and I was really annoyed at the direction that Silver took his gay son character. The final scene, again handily captured by Lavin, concludes with a pretty cliched wrap-up as each of the characters seek someone, anyone to love.

I haven't given away much because I do recommend seeing this, if only for Lavin's performance, but I was glad that I didn't pay full price. It got mixed reviews, and even extended a couple weeks, but I do have to wonder why Lavin chose this piece to do this fall rather than recreate her sozzled sister to Stockard Channing in the Broadway transfer of Other Desert Cities. (Although I don't doubt that Judith Light will be perfect in the role.)

Archived