THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Gentlemen, please. . .

Phil_musc
This topic is 4756 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The word for a man who practices massage therapy (of any type) is MASSEUR. Please note the spelling: "E" comes before "U." Furthermore, a male who practices massage therapy is never ever a MASSEUSE unless he is planning on some form or gender re-assignment surgery. I'm not being difficult or prissy here. This is a forum about guys who work in the massage field - let's get it right. Masseur makes me think perhaps another alternate spelling might be massewer. That tells me (maybe) where the massage took place or (subtly) what the client thought it was worth - both of which are probably not true. Maybe a Masseuse is an effeminate massage therapist. I suppose that's possible, but that implies a certain snide sarcastic tone in the delivery that email is ill-equipped to render. Just get it right, guys. For most of us, English is our native language and we're all old enough and educated enough to spell correctly and know the difference. There, enough pet peeve venting. Thanks for reading.

I agree any male that gives a massage is a masseur or any female that gives a massage is a masseuse. However only those who attended a credited massage school and graduated from such a program is a massage therapist. anyone else would be a masseur or a bodyworker

^This. I also get a chuckle whenever some guy who advertises on the oh so visually satisfying massage sites claims that they are certified or what not...and then calls themselves a masseuse. :) Takes them right out of the running for me. Clients will always mix the names up but a bodyworker should know their designation.

Regards,

Lohengrin1979

I agree any male that gives a massage is a masseur or any female that gives a massage is a masseuse. However only those who attended a credited massage school and graduated from such a program is a massage therapist. anyone else would be a masseur or a bodyworker

Potatoe / Patato....... Tomatoe / Tamato. Just rub me down and play with my Balls !!!!

Steven, your English is excellent, especially given that it's not your first language. My complaint was that on a message board that deals with a specific specialty interest area such as massage, our writing habitues should make the effort to use the correct terminology. I would be willing to bet that most of the guys who post on this board are pretty well educated with at least some college experience as a part of their resumes, and for a lot of us, our college years happened before the proverbial "dumbing down of America" that we see and hear about (although not so much any more - lower standards have apparently become the norm here). And for the record, I never took a French class in school (much to my eternal regret - I love the countries, both France and Quebec) and I know the difference between a masseur and a masseuse as well as a massuer. While I'm rambling, though, I'd also like to raise the issue of the usage of the words "your" and "you're." But it's probably enough that I was on one linguistic soapbox this week already.

Steven, your English is excellent, especially given that it's not your first language. My complaint was that on a message board that deals with a specific specialty interest area such as massage, our writing habitues should make the effort to use the correct terminology. I would be willing to bet that most of the guys who post on this board are pretty well educated with at least some college experience as a part of their resumes, and for a lot of us, our college years happened before the proverbial "dumbing down of America" that we see and hear about (although not so much any more - lower standards have apparently become the norm here). And for the record, I never took a French class in school (much to my eternal regret - I love the countries, both France and Quebec) and I know the difference between a masseur and a masseuse as well as a massuer. While I'm rambling, though, I'd also like to raise the issue of the usage of the words "your" and "you're." But it's probably enough that I was on one linguistic soapbox this week already.

My french has served me well: Oui, oui, pommes frites, and Bon Bon....

Archived