THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Malware Help

ted
This topic is 4835 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Can anyone give a step by step lesson in how to rid your computer of a malware program. Our IT person did it on my work laptop some time ago. Now my personal laptop is hit. This is a program that essentially takes over your computer and is telling you it is infected with numerous viruses and wants you to sign up to get a program to remove what they illicitly put on in the first place. Our IT guy did it so fast that I couldn't follow what he did - he essentially created a "new user" but copied all the good files -my desktop and my docs from the old to the new - although it was an edit command rather than a copy if I remember correctly. Are there any of the security programs that are effective against this? Kaspersky and McAfee are not

help is on the way

I'd be more than happy to help you Ted. What kind of computer? What kind of o/s?

Can anyone give a step by step lesson in how to rid your computer of a malware program. Our IT person did it on my work laptop some time ago. Now my personal laptop is hit. This is a program that essentially takes over your computer and is telling you it is infected with numerous viruses and wants you to sign up to get a program to remove what they illicitly put on in the first place. Our IT guy did it so fast that I couldn't follow what he did - he essentially created a "new user" but copied all the good files -my desktop and my docs from the old to the new - although it was an edit command rather than a copy if I remember correctly. Are there any of the security programs that are effective against this? Kaspersky and McAfee are not

Next step

Although it's not recommended to do, have you tried running the SYSTEM RESTORE wizard and restoring it to an earlier date when you knew the computer was working? The problem with this is potentially that you might be putting the virus back on however this is always a good first step to check.

Second, are you still able to download things from the internet? some malware will lock the system up so you can't download things any longer. IF you can then I would suggest you download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware from here (http://www.malwarebytes.org/products) for FREE and run your system through it to see what it can catch first.

Let's start with those steps and go from there.

let me know if you have any questions,

p.s. Deej is around here somewhere and he'll say you can avoid viruses by installing UBUNTU (hehehe)

Gcursor

Dell Latitude running Windows XP

Some people I trust recommend the free virus removal tool from Kaspersky:

http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner

If your computer is so far gone that you cannot download, borrow someone else's computer and download Kaspersky's "Rescue disc" tool from the same page.

But whatever route you take, please take steps to prevent future infection! (Kaspersky has free tools for that, as do various other vendors. AVG would be another good option.)

And gcursor, don't put words in my mouth.

sorry

Sorry Deej

wasn't trying to be offensive..just trying to be playful is all.

Gcursor

If your computer is so far gone that you cannot download, borrow someone else's computer and download Kaspersky's "Rescue disc" tool from the same page.

But whatever route you take, please take steps to prevent future infection! (Kaspersky has free tools for that, as do various other vendors. AVG would be another good option.)

Sorry

Sorry Deej...I looked back at that previous posting about malware and it wasn't YOU that made the comment about UBUNTU..it was somebody else! No WONDER you had that reaction! So anyway I apologize...I thought the comment came from you...I'll have to check my sources better in the future.

Gcursor

I downloaded the malwarebytes antimalware onto a flash drive with my desktop and then used it on the laptop and that seems to have done the trick. As far as Kaspersky, this malware goes through kaspersky like a hot knife through warm butter. Kaspersky was/is installed and up to date on the laptop when this thing downloaded - nothing. Once it was in, Kaspersky didn't recognize it; when you scan, the scans aborted apparently when they got close to the malware, so if it doesn't recognize it, it doesn't remove it. All the Kaspersky things were green saying everythings fine with your computer. The antimalware is free once, but is only $25 for a subscription - I'm seriously considering signing up to prevent it from coming back again

Happy

Here's the deal Ted:

there are SO many viruses/malware items out there that it's sometimes difficult to get one program that will catch EVERYTHING known to man. My recommendation to you is to use what you feel is best for you AND I would strongly urge using TWO separate malware/virus programs (they don't have to both be running at startup and you can use one only periodically)

I would also look into LAVASOFT Ad-Aware (free version) as one of the alternatives that you could also use. also i think u mentioned you had some other "anti-virus" protective programs...I would urge you to make sure that those are updated with the most recent update.

I'm glad that everything turned out well. please let me know if I can do anything further to assist,

Gcursor

I downloaded the malwarebytes antimalware onto a flash drive with my desktop and then used it on the laptop and that seems to have done the trick. As far as Kaspersky, this malware goes through kaspersky like a hot knife through warm butter. Kaspersky was/is installed and up to date on the laptop when this thing downloaded - nothing. Once it was in, Kaspersky didn't recognize it; when you scan, the scans aborted apparently when they got close to the malware, so if it doesn't recognize it, it doesn't remove it. All the Kaspersky things were green saying everythings fine with your computer. The antimalware is free once, but is only $25 for a subscription - I'm seriously considering signing up to prevent it from coming back again

Archived