THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Financing overseas travel?

JoeyBryant
This topic is 4904 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

OK, this is a question that has been nagging me for many months now and now I'd just like to have an idea.

I travel relatively often but most times it's driving and within a few hundred miles or so. However, I have looked into going overseas this summer but I can't get past the cost for flights and then trying to make double that to make sure I come out with something. Even with gas prices the way they are, I still come out better than flying. $40 takes me over 350 miles.

For example, I just looked up a flight on HotWire from Denver to Sydney roundtrip for July. $1,500. And even if I'd be able to come up with that amount (plus a hotel for a minimum of 3 nights) it's like I'd be spending money that I made for the prospect of making twice that amount to get back to the 1,500 I spent going on the trip in the first place.

I know some people who have relatives in the airline industry where they get free flights. I mean, is that not one of the ultimate resource in this industry or what? Suggestions?

The most obvious answer that comes to mind is to use frequent flyer miles to redeem a free ticket.

If you have friends in the airline industry, you might be able to snag a standby ticket but even those come with some costs and require flexibility in terms of travel schedule. Do a search on craigslist and you'll sometimes see people selling their buddy passes (which i don't advocate unless you want to run the chance of getting caught). With airlines filling up seats as much as possible, i would think the chance of getting a standby seat would be more challenging.

My friend once gave me a buddy pass and i tried to use it on a flight to Buenos Aires. What was supposed to be straight forward process turned out to be a nightmare of delayed travel for 2 days until I decided to throw in the towel and used my own miles to get the ticket.

OK, this is a question that has been nagging me for many months now and now I'd just like to have an idea.

I travel relatively often but most times it's driving and within a few hundred miles or so. However, I have looked into going overseas this summer but I can't get past the cost for flights and then trying to make double that to make sure I come out with something. Even with gas prices the way they are, I still come out better than flying. $40 takes me over 350 miles.

For example, I just looked up a flight on HotWire from Denver to Sydney roundtrip for July. $1,500. And even if I'd be able to come up with that amount (plus a hotel for a minimum of 3 nights) it's like I'd be spending money that I made for the prospect of making twice that amount to get back to the 1,500 I spent going on the trip in the first place.

I know some people who have relatives in the airline industry where they get free flights. I mean, is that not one of the ultimate resource in this industry or what? Suggestions?

You would think that buddy passes would be a free pass in this industry, but it's actually an enormous headache. My Dad's a retired pilot for one of the major airlines, and I almost never use my flight privileges. You just never know when you're going to get on a flight, and if you miss a day or two waiting at the airport, you lose money on hotels not to mention days of lost revenue. The one exception to this rule is the shuttle between NY/DC and Bos, which almost always has open seats.

You're absolutely right. A buddy pass only gets you on the standby list. Still you have to go the airport and be ready at the gate to board if there are seats available. Contrary to popular belief the buddy pass is not free of charge.

Australia sounds like great fun, provided you can sit on a plane for 24 hours.

You're absolutely right. A buddy pass only gets you on the standby list. Still you have to go the airport and be ready at the gate to board if there are seats available. Contrary to popular belief the buddy pass is not free of charge.

Australia sounds like great fun, provided you can sit on a plane for 24 hours.[/color]

ok, this whole buddy pass thing is kind of new for me LOL. First time hearing of it. I've heard of standby but for the hassle might as well just book early or bid on the flight (I've never tried bidding for a flight before).

Yes, the flight there plus the layover would be very long. 18 hours flight time from LA. But 24 hours isn't all that bad. I've spent upwards of 3 days inside a car LOL.

You know what...I think I'm just going to go to Toronto. Where's Mark Gordon?

A buddy pass is basically an employee benefit for airline employees. They're allowed something like eight a year or so to give to whomever they want. Airline employees, their partners, and their children use what's called "non-rev" travel. It's basically the same thing as a buddy pass, but they don't need the actual "pass" and they're unlimited for life. They're also a higher priority for boarding than a buddy pass.

It can be worth while if you have a lot of time and flexibility, but more often than not, it's kind of a hassle.

He's happily settled in Toronto. Drivable and no seas to cross (except for Niagara Falls). I'll buy you a beer and give you an orientation if you make it up this way.

We should hangout during pride or 4th of July! But seems like it'd be better off to fly to Detroit and drive the rest of the way...

You could drive from Detroit or take the bus across the Channel to Windsor and catch a train to Toronto for $100. The 4th of July (aka Independence Day) is an American celebration. However, this year's Pride Toronto will coincide with the Canada Day (July 1st) long weekend.

You could drive from Detroit or take the bus across the Channel to Windsor and catch a train to Toronto for $100. The 4th of July (aka Independence Day) is an American celebration. However, this year's Pride Toronto will coincide with the Canada Day (July 1st) long weekend.

You've got to be kidding me? That would be perfect! It'll be my 1st 4th of July out of the country and I won't miss a thing! I'm hoping by end of May-mid June everything will be finalized and ready to go...I'm glad to be able to go somewhere and have a forum member to hangout with too! I'll keep you posted as time goes on.

Joey,

Your Toronto trip will be great. I love Toronto and try to go there at least once a year. It is a beautiful and fun city, especially in the summer.

However, you should think about going to Sydney for the Gay Mardi Gras. You will be able to "work on the side" with thousands of gay guys in town of all ages, sizes and shapes looking for a great time. I have been to Sydney several times and have always had a wonderful time, and only once was during Mardi Gras. The flight from LA is not really that bad, as my trips there have usually originated from Chicago, but a couple of times have been on the last leg of an "around the world" trip with an amazingly low fare. If you want more info, send me a PM.

DD

Archived