THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Havana Cuba

Guest Magnus
This topic is 4946 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Magnus

I posted this query on the "South of the border" forum last week, but have had no response. I'm hopping that, since this forum gets more traffic, someone here will have some info (fyi, I am traveling there legally with an arts group).

Has anyone been to Cuba recently? The only thread I could find here is about 5 years old.

I would appreciate any tips about visiting Havana and any other cities in Cuba. Hotels, restaurants, etc., and of course the gay scene. For example I know that locals cannot come back to my hotel with me, and I must rent a room in a "casa particular" (unless they live alone, which is rare).

I have not been to Cuba recently; my one (and unfortunately only) visit was in 2004. But (also unfortunately) I don't think Cuba changes much. If you're traveling with a group, I'm assuming that your hotel choice is pre-set. Regarding restaurants, STAY AWAY from any "state" restaurant (any establishment that calls itself a "restaurant" is owned and operated by the state). I stayed in one of the nicest hotels in Havana, and the food was AWFUL. The state does allow little private restaurants (forget the word for them), where the food is true Cuban cuisine and absolutely delicious, not to mention very reasonably priced. Note that you will be charged a service fee, which is NOT the gratuity! These private dining spots must pay a rather hefty sum to the state to remain in operation, and that's what the service fee goes toward. I don't know what the expected gratuity is, but go ahead and tip whatever you tip here in the States. Trust me, the restaurant workers are not getting rich, and every dollar means so much to these people.

Actually, I think that locals can indeed come back to the hotel with you. There is always a security guard posted at the elevator, but a US dollar (maybe now a Euro, or whatever currency is in use now that the USD has been dropped as official Cuban currency) easily got the guard to turn a blind eye. If that doesn't work, una casa particular shouldn't be too expensive. While you should keep your guard up wherever you go, stealing from or ripping off a tourist is an extremely serious offense in Cuba; so don't be paranoid about scams and rip-offs. Havana ain't Vegas.

I was in Cuba to attend the wedding of my Canadian cousin. Because I was surrounded by family pretty much 24/7, I didn't have the chance to take in some of the local flavor, if ya know what I mean. But man oh man, I hope you do because so many cubanos are so bleepin' scorching-HOT!! I think prostitution is legal (not absolutely sure), but don't ever worry about getting busted. Castro knows that prostitutes are an "amenity" that gets tourists to spend plenty of money, and if it's not actually legal, then it's unofficially encouraged.

I believe Lonely Planet's guide to Cuba/Havana lists the most popular gay bar in Havana (didn't get a chance to go because of the family thing). Go there to get a lay of the land. Sooner or later, but probably sooner, you'll find a guy who is very eager to work as your "facilitator": whether you want guys or girls, stolen cigars, the best private dining spots, whatever you want, this guy will happily procure it for you. Ask him how much he wants for his services, and if it's reasonable, that's your guy. Final note: I don't know what you look like, but if you are obviously foreign, then expect to be stared at a lot. Maybe the scorching-hot cubano is cruising you, or maybe he's just making eye contact in hopes of selling you some stolen cigars (every Cuban has two jobs: his official state job, and stealing from his official state job). Also, it's apparently socially acceptable in Cuba for men to adjust their package, anywhere, even in mixed company. Again, just because a scorching-hot cubano is staring at you and adjusting his package, don't take it as a sign for hotel-room fun. If you chat him up, he might be interested, but at the very least he'll gladly hook you up with someone who is.

Damn, I am so envious. I gotta start planning a trip soon!!!

Check out Yunior's blogspot at http://gaytourguideCuba.com. He has an interesting blog. Also go to http://www.cuba-junky.com/cuba/cuba-nightlife.htm Both of these are a good beginning.

In conjunction with your arts tour, is it being sponsored by 2011 Cuba...something tours? ...went to it the other day if this is the one and am indeed impressed. Although I am quite interested, I cannot go at that time but would truly like to in the future.

<...was in Cuba in the '90s for 8 days on a teachers' union tour. ...had a great cultural time and "zero" sex because I did NOT know the ropes in this restricted country.>

I posted this query on the "South of the border" forum last week, but have had no response. I'm hopping that, since this forum gets more traffic, someone here will have some info (fyi, I am traveling there legally with an arts group).

Archived