THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Double booking clients...

glutes
This topic is 4948 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Double booking can be in the massage industry, but is also done in the airline industry. The main definition of double booking would be reserving the massage table or the same airline seat to two different people of two different reservations at the same time or date. Since these industries both want to utilize all of their massage tables or seats for the maximum amount of profits, these industries may at times double book. The goal is to ensure the seats or tables are all filled

Do some massage therapists double book? And if two clients show-up at the same time, how do therapists fairly compensate the client that gets bumped?

Double booking can be in the massage industry, but is also done in the airline industry. The main definition of double booking would be reserving the massage table or the same airline seat to two different people of two different reservations at the same time or date. Since these industries both want to utilize all of their massage tables or seats for the maximum amount of profits, these industries may at times double book. The goal is to ensure the seats or tables are all filled

That's total crap. Don't know where you got your lack of information but the airlines don't 'double-book', reserving the same seat for two people. Airlines 'oversell'. And with the approval of the FAA.

After they've sold all the seats on a flight, they keep selling tickets - but not the actual seats. They disclose in the ticket sale that a seat has not been assigned. All airlines track their no-shows by flight and based on a statistical analysis of past passenger shows on those particular flights, they have determined that they can sell more tickets - while not assigning seats - up to a certain number. Since their statistical analysis shows that a certain number of passengers with assigned seats will no-show the flights, they can safely sell these unassigned tickets.

They are also highly regulated as to how they handle passengers who are denied boarding. If they sold a ticket for which they do not have a seat, they, by regulation, must accommodate the passenger with meals and motel rooms and guaranteed next flight out status. But the incidental costs of these accommodations is more than offset by the airlines ability to send the flights out full.

if a person keeps an appointment book I think double booking would be difficult. I personally leave a 1hr gap between clients. say someone books for a 2pm session. that means 1pm and 3pm aren't available either. I book 3 a day at most. normally 1 morning, 1 middle of the day and 1 evening being finished by 10pm

That's total crap.

Airlines are aware that scores of less-savvy travelers are unaware that if their arrival time is critical they must INSIST on a seat assignment when booking, that a mere ticket is NOT a guarantee of departure flight.

Airlines and retailers obscure this distinction, and so Overselling is unjust.

p.s. Jetblue's general policy is NOT to oversell.

Define Double Booking

double booking. The practice of booking and confirming two or more reservations when only one will be used.

http://www.travel-industry-dictionary.com/double-booking.html

What happens when two massage clients show-up, and one gets bumped?

Gee Glutes, that's like asking if a guy is still beating his spouse (LOL)....If a masseur can tell you what happens to the bumped guy, you would rightly assume that he indeed double-books.....I have never had this happen to me. Maybe some massuer clients here can chime in on their experiences.

Well, There's Double-Booking and then there's Double-Booking

the definition Glutes linked to in his post: http://www.travel-industry-dictionar...e-booking.html refers to a customer double-booking. For example,

Flying through a major hub is less expensive than flying to a major hub. I buy a ticket from LAX-ATL and it costs $1,000. If I buy LAX-ATL-Birmingham, the airfare is only $700. So I buy the LAX-ATL-BHM flight and exit the airport in Atlanta. I've save $300 and the seat to Bham goes empty unless the airline has oversold the flight.

Jet Blue does not 'oversell' their flights, but the only way to avoid this kind of double-booking is to sell point-to-point flights adding up the total for each segment.

Another idea on booking flights.

Southwest and JetBlue among other airlines follow a point-to-point scheme of flying. Living Southern California, I can fly Burbank to Las Vegas or Phoenix, then change planes and fly on to other cities back east.

SouthWest awards their 'Rapid Rewards' frequent flier credits based on one-way itineraries flown. Sixteen one-ways and you get a free ticket. If I buy Burbank to Raleigh-Durham, I get one credit each way, even though I stop in Phoenix both ways. If I buy a round-trip Burbank-Phoenix and a roundtrip Phoenix to Raleigh-Durham, I can earn 4 credits instead of two and generally there's no pricing difference in the two tickets versus the one ticket.

Shhh, that's our little secret!

public CHARTER massage therapists...

Then I ask fellow massage clients, have you ever been a subject of 'overselling' from a therapist?

Overselling refers to selling of a volatile good or service in excess of actual capacity. In the travel industry, the term overbooking is used instead. In telecommunications, sometimes the term oversubscription is preferred. The practice occurs intentionally where sellers expect that some buyers will not consume all of the resources they are entitled to, or that some buyers will cancel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overselling

Archived