THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Priscilla

edjames
This topic is 4635 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Based on the hit gay film, this musical literally rolls into Broadway on Sunday night. I saw the London production last year and I went for another look last night on Broadway and thought it was wonderful. A lot of fun. Probably not the best musical ever made but what it lacks in some areas, it more than makes up with fun, creativity, and high energy. the costumes are wonderfully gay and pure camp. the audience loved it. The cast is terrific. Kudos to Will Swenson and Tony Sheldon. Sheldon gives a little comedy and camp to the otherwise dour screen portral by Terrence Stamp.

There are some minor changes in this Broadway production, most evident was the absence of the Abba tunes. Apparently they were unable to get the musical rights for this version. In their place some of Madonna’s greatest hits have been added and included into the story line as Felicia is now a huge Madonna fan and performer.

Beware...there are some truly hunky and good looking chorus members in this cast and they gleefully strip sown to Speedos or less in some numbers! Most importantly, Broadway hottie, Nick Adams, plays Felicia and gets to strut his gorgeous toned body around the stage in a state of almost "undress."

Run and get tickets it is a really fun gay night at the theater.

ED

The cast did a couple of numbers on the TODAY show on NBC this morning. Looks like great fun.

The only thing that worked against some of the "drag" costumes was that they're low-cut enough in front that you get distracted by the dancers' ripped abs, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! ;)

Had the great good fortune to get to see this tonight. And for basically a jukebox musical, with two good, but not great singers, as the leads, this is a joy from start to finish. Supporting cast goes far beyond supporting...the three divas, in particular, are sensational.

I don't want to give much away, because even though it's very close to the original movie...I hadn't seen that in years and so there were many lovely surprises. The cast was having a ball, clearly, and Priscilla herself is truly one of the stars of the show.

I will be going to the box office this week to get tickets again. And there were huge glass containers of pink Priscilla ping-pong balls at the party...I grabbed a handful. A marvelous evening.

I have spoken so several friends who were very disappointed in this because there wasn't enough heart, and who felt that it was just too much a disco-dance jukebox show.

Well, to clarify...this is simply a disco-dance jukebox show...with a little taste of heart thrown in.

It's all about the fabulous costumes...(and that word is truly the only word that fits) and the cast having a ball...

• 2 weeks later...
I have spoken so several friends who were very disappointed in this because there wasn't enough heart, and who felt that it was just too much a disco-dance jukebox show.

Well, to clarify...this is simply a disco-dance jukebox show...with a little taste of heart thrown in.

It's all about the fabulous costumes...(and that word is truly the only word that fits) and the cast having a ball...

I agree with skynyc; I liked "Priscilla," but not as much as other musicals and plays on Broadway now. This is essentially a revue with fabulous costumes. Nick Adams is ADORABLE, and I couldn't take my eyes off him when he was on stage, which is most of the time. There's no book or plot or character development in this show; if you see it, sit back, enjoy the spectacle, but don't expect more than that.

Saw it tonight. Those who say there is no plot must be asleep. There is a plot. It is minimalist, but there is a plot, and there is at least some slight character development.

But it's not great theater. It's great spectacle. The costumes are a hoot. The dancing/choreography induces toe-tapping. The music is too loud.

But the bodies on display are stunning. Nick Adams has the most riveting abs I've ever seen on a Broadway stage and he thrusts them out at every opportunity. He had me salivating all evening. Wow!

Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Not much more I can add to the fine reviews already provided. It's a wild and crazy show that will make you laugh and cry. Very colorful staging with outrageous costumes, toe tapping songs, amazing dancing/singing, and a very likable cast... Love the bus, aka Priscilla, being on stage. Definitely, a feel good type of show. Just sit back and be entertained. Glitz has returned to Broadway!

Coop :cool:

I just watched the movie on Netflix. Hadn't seen it since it came out in 1995. I was surprised how much the play captured the movie. Whole pages of dialogue were used along with the costumes and plot. If anything I think the play added to the movie. I just may go see it again.

Granted, I found the story to be a bit dated, but I defy anyone who goes to not leave with a BIG smile on your face. The music is fun, the choreography amazing, the actors and cast adorable (especially Nick Adams!) and the costumes beyond description. A fun, fun time.

• 3 months later...

I was able to see this twice- once from the front row of the mezzanine, and once in the fifth row orchestra. Nick Adams was stunning wither way. He sure is an exhibitionist.

Overall, the show is a lot of fun even if a bit silly at times.

• 4 weeks later...
I was able to see this twice- once from the front row of the mezzanine, and once in the fifth row orchestra. Nick Adams was stunning wither way. He sure is an exhibitionist.

Overall, the show is a lot of fun even if a bit silly at times.

I saw it as well, and Nick Adams sure is limber... I agree that Nick Adams is one of the most handsome men ever to walk the face of this planet. I think I'd give my left arm for one night in the sack with him... :-p

http://i2.cdnds.net/08/20/270x405_nick_adams1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the show in London a few weeks ago. It was fun and entertaining. I am happy I went.....but I would probably not go again. I would give it a 6 out of 10. By the by, I undersand it is struggling on Broadway in terms of ticket sales. Lots of heavily discounted tickets available.

I saw the show in London a few weeks ago. It was fun and entertaining. I am happy I went.....but I would probably not go again. I would give it a 6 out of 10. By the by, I undersand it is struggling on Broadway in terms of ticket sales. Lots of heavily discounted tickets available.

A NEW BLOCK OF TICKETS RECENTLY WENT ON SALE THROUGH MARCH 2012.

YES, DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE, SO TAKE ADVANTAGE. I'M THINKING OF SEEING IT AGAIN.

ALAS, THE LONDON PRODUCTION IS CLOSING SOON.

ed

• 4 months later...

I saw it last December before Christmas, so you're not the only one who's behind schedule when it comes to Broadway. I didn't really like the movie, but the play was loads of fun. I hope you had a good seat, because I got an eye full of Nick Adams, and he was ripped just right.

Archived