THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Side Lying Massage, anyone had one?

glutes
This topic is 4959 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My current massage therapist (private stock) recommended a SLM for my next session. Anyone have experience?

(and yes, I do have lower back pain)

Why and when side lying massage may be appropriate. First, the side lying position provides greater access to muscles of the shoulder joint, hip joint, trunk, thigh and inner outer legs and other areas. For example, a muscle called quadratus lumborum (QL) is best accessed in the side lying position. Quadratus lumborum can be a common source of back pain in clients, since one of its functions is to stabilize the low back. Another example would be the IT (iliotibial) band, which runs from your hip to just below you knee. The IT band may reduce in flexibility particularly in athletes who cycle or run as well at folks who sit or stand excessively during work. Side lying position during massage allows the therapist to treat the IT band while simultaneously controlling the amount of pressure applied to the thigh for an effective therapy session.

http://www.transformationsmassage.com/side-effects-the-benefits-of-side-lying-massage

Archived