THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Arcadia?

foxy
This topic is 4879 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Funny coincidence. I downloaded Arcadia to my phone and listened to the first two acts on a recent plane trip. I haven't seen any Stoppard for some time and had forgotten how clever his use of language is. I was laughing out loud repeatedly -- the woman next to me probably thought I was demented.

One of my favorite plays and this production is supposed to be very good. Saw the original at Lincoln Center twice.

There have been some complaints about volume - some people are having a hard time hearing everything.

For all things New York theater check out Talkin' Broadway. Go into the "all that chat" section for the latest buzz.

Some people post impressions during the intermission of the first preview. Currently very positive buzz on Priscilla Queen Of The Desert,

The Book Of Mormon, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying, Jerusalem and War Horse.

So/so on Catch Me If You Can.

• 1 month later...

Saw this tonight and am always astounded at how learned Mr. Stoppard can be. It's a brilliant man who can make someone recognize that something very intelligent is going on onstage, and understand that it's going on, even if I don't really understand it myself.

This mystery/supposition about the life of Byron, the Newtonian theories of the universe and the use of sexual context in literature makes this play to which you must give your attention. Don't split a bottle of wine first with your theater partner.

The current cast, including Americans Billy Crudup, Raul Esparza, Margaret Colin and Grace Gummer and the British stars of last summer's revival of the same play, Tom Riley and Bel Powley, are top notch. There have been complaints of Ms. Powley's whiny teenaged voice, but since she is playing a girl who grows from 13 to 17, she can be easily forgiven for her authenticity.

I had the great good fortune to see it in 1995 at Lincoln Center with Victor Garber, Blair Brown, Robert Sean Leonard, Billy Crudup (making his NY debut) and Paul Giamatti (also making his Broadway debut.) And while I loved this production, and went back to see it again to try to make heads or tails of it, the current production has finally allowed some understanding. I suspect that this is as much because I am older and somewhat wiser, but also because the production has been directed with such simplicity.

If you want an evening where you truly feel edified, treat yourself. I still don't understand every subplot, mathematical algorhythm, or Newtonian reference, but I laughed often and came away feeling I had seen something that was trying to educate while entertain.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw it this afternoon. I had also seen the Lincoln Center production back in the 1990s, which was much more sumptuous in terms of sets and costumes. This time around the sets were less lavish but quite effective. I agree with those who complain that the acoustic of the theater (the Ethel Barrymore) is less than ideal for this play. Understanding the dialogue is important, and the resonance of this house makes it a bit difficult at times. Also, some of the actors speak very fast and don't always clearly articulate their lines.

All that said, I found this a gripping theatrical experience, nonetheless. It is written with great intelligence. The main difference I felt between this and my earlier exposure was that the style of acting was quite different this time around. I don't remember all the shouting and vocal dramatics - the earlier production, to the best of my recollection, was much more restrained. Also, I was wondering whether Stoppard did some rewriting to make the dialogue a bit less complex, since - even with the acoustical problems - I found it less challenging than I had recalled.

Unfortunately, there was not a very full house for a Saturday matinee. I was in the mezzanine, where beyond the first two rows there were few in attendance, and from glancing down to the orchestra, I saw lots of empty seats on the sides. On the one hand, that means that tickets are available and there are probably good on-line discounts to be had. On the other hand, it probably means they can't sustain the run for very long, which is a shame, because this is an intelligent show worth seeing.

In the eye-candy department, Billy Crudup and Raul Esparza are always fun to watch. Crudup has a Tony nomination as "best featured performer." They seem to be treating this as an ensemble cast - fairly so, given the allocation of lines - so he's not "best leading performance by an actor." I thought his performance very good, but I could have stood some clearer enunciation and less shouting from him. I found myself wishing that the role played by Esparza was better developed by the author, as he had much less to do.

Archived