THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

"bathing suits"

Guest painpigslave
This topic is 5210 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest painpigslave

As a late-comer on to this message forum I'm sure this has been asked dozens of times. But what ever happened to Speedos? I don't ONLY mean whateever happened to them in pictures on this site--they do sometimes appear--but whatever happened to them generally? Why the favoritism to boxer-like bathing suits--mid-calf length or even longer?

And on a not totally-unrelated subject, whatever happened to "baskets?" Once in a while a "bulge," yes, but the old (pre-Stonewall?) definition of a "basket," even among the "men of leather," seems a thing out of the past. Well, in New York, anyway.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speedos Out!

Simplist Answer..VERY VERY Few look the way they should in them from the Front or Back! :rolleyes: They make it no further than the Runways nowadays!

I guess the General Population finally realized the fact! :D

A nice BOD looks good on a beach in any style, that are low waisted of course! ;)

Europeans are more open minded on Speedos. Americans in general are more prudish and tend to be fatter so Speedos not looking nearly as good, though god knows I have seen some hefty Frenchmen stuffed into a speedo you can't see because the belly is covering it.

at the risk of incurring the board's wrath, Speedos are now seen as too "gay" by the general public (at least in the US)...and the tight jeans thing is just not the style these days....

I just returned from Italy, and tight jeans are very much the style among teenagers there--so tight that one wonders how they even get them on.

For Once The French Have It Right

In France, you cannot use a public swimming pool unless you're wearing speedos. The regulation is enforced rigorously, as it is considered a matter of hygiene. Young men wear shorts in the Summer and it's considered that otherwise they might wear longer swim-trunks both to walk around and to swim.

Even if I do know what you mean and have noticed that much, I am glad to report that that happens mainly in the States. All over the place, the unquestionable supremacy of the speedo is evident in beaches, pools, advertisement, television and film.

I only hope that american television and film will fail to spread their speedo-phobic views.

Nothing's quite like a wet speedo affectionately enveloping a tight set of glutes...

Woof!

Guest painpigslave

Back again about speedos

Oh, sure, speedos werent/aren't for everyone. But even the well built, youthful, straight/or/gay fellwos on the beech are still opting for the loose trunks--their "packages" caefully hidden inside an inside pouch. Right whre they ought NOT to be? (Good Lord, can you imagine Steve Reeves in a loose legged bathing suit? And I'm sure it is an American puritanical "thing.' Not only are speedo-and-bikini suits the choice in France--think of Brazil. Young and youngish guys show their stuff just as the gals show theirs.

Yes, this is part of the puritan heitage which bedevils so much of this country. But what I still don't understand is WHY it was not bedeviling it in the '50s, '60s, and '70s, and then the speedo climing form went away.

Which is why I also brought up "baskets." A "matter of style"? Well, yes, but what changed the style? I remember going to the opera and while very few leather types were among the audience, those who were were certainly "showing all." What made guys--gay guys--leather-and-jeans gay guys--hide their baskets? (And it certainly isn't lack of "material" since in those days some guys would enhance their briefs to reinforce the baskets).

Thanks for the memories.

They lay down on the bed and pull the zipper up with a pair of pliers.

Back in the day, there was this cute blond kid in my dorm who wore jeans so tight he had to lie face up on the bed, elevate his backside and jerk and wriggle 'til he got his pants up. Quite the show! :D

Europeans are more open minded on Speedos. Americans in general are more prudish and tend to be fatter so Speedos not looking nearly as good, though god knows I have seen some hefty Frenchmen stuffed into a speedo you can't see because the belly is covering it.

I have the same experience in Europe.

First, in underware, Europeans are not into white ones, or even the structured types we have. I was amazed - especially in Central and Eastern Europe, how very colorful and skimpy types are de rigeur.

I have also witnessed the speedo on the sea shore in Europe -- amazing to see enormous men and women wearing something so tiny that it reminds me of Eddie Murphy playing that ENORMOUS FAT WOMAN in one of his recent movies, who tried to get into a public pool and had so much fat covering her stomach, the attendant asked if she had a bottom on - they look like tiny thongs!!! But then again, on the same beaches you can see amazingly handsome guys in the same amazingly beautiful and tight speedos too :-)

i marched in the dc pride parade this year, in my speedo. i had a handful of people pull it down as i passed them - and about 20 others slip dollars into it. all i wanted to do was march - jeez! (i was the sole "out" representative for bisexual men in that parade.)

oh yeah, i almost made 20 bucks! until i started having people ask me, "can i have a dollar?"

by the end of the parade i think i netted $4 ;)

Guest jaighbos

Let's hear it for Speedos!

I'm with you. I just returned from two weeks in Hawaii and everyone - and I mean everyone - whether they needed to or not - were wearing long, baggy trunks. I'm of the mind (age?) that when you get to the tropics less is more (or something like that). And while I still fit in to the category of looking good in my speedos, I'm also welcome to and understanding of the desire/comfort of wearing one no matter what the physique. Wearing next to nothing in the tropics is a joy to experience, and I say "go for it!".

This thread reminds me of novels written by Somerset Maugham about Christian missionaries going to the South Pacific and proselitizing to the natives. When these puritans encountered these natives wearing very little to cover themselves they were horrified. In no time they were urging the women to put on "Mother Hubbards" (you can imagine what these looked like) and the men to wear trousers and tops. The "Garden of Eden" was never the same!

Recently spent ten days in Provincetown and nearly every day went to the Herring Cove Beach and/or the pool at my hotel. On the beach young, fit men---whether gay or straight---invariably wore surfer-type bathing suits, board shorts, longish low-waisted suits. Quite often on the part of the beach where we frequented, those concealing suits would come off and the guys, usually gay, would sunbathe in a much more revealilng suit---speedo, thong, ''50's type tight boxer. The Europeans, on the other hand would show up in their Speedos and have no hesitation in showing it all.

I agree that it is a cultural thing---Americans/Canadians are much more hesitant, at the moment, to show off their masculinity--waist down---they have no hesitation to shed their shirts and show off muscles, abs, tats but when it comes to the "junk" NO NO NO.

I have noticed recently a trend in very young men towards very tight jeans---but they are tight from ankle to thigh and then worn so low, with baggy boxers, that the basket, if there is one, is hidden from view. Strange, that baggy underwear, exposing some hidden shapely ass is OK but a bulging basket is not. Hopefully things will change---all fashions come to end---don't they?? Baggy trousers, shorts, bathing suits have had their day----please young guys lose them---it needs not be done radically, but slowly and with taste, and maybe, just maybe we can enjoy the sights of the land :)))

Speedo's have bit the dust for two reasons. As mentioned earlier men who wear them "scream" GAY! And the biggest reason(at least for me) is most men I have seen wearing speedos SHOULD NOT BE WEARING SPEEDO'S:confused:! I mean good god what are some of these guys thinking?

Guest painpigslave

And then, yet a further thought--filmatic underwear

When male underwear was on view at all in early films, they wre always boxers--or at best, ALMOST only boxers. I'm sure some of the group can pinpont earlier, but one of the first exceptions to that rule in my memory was John Travolta in SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER. I also remember, with a certain fondness (because, among others, of age similarity) that the earliest white briefs I saw worn in a movie by a well proportioned but NOT young fellow was William Holden in FEDORA--he was wearing tidy whities. Still, though, I know I've seen a few gangster-ish films whre the "good guys" wore boxers; the bad guys wore briefs. That's disappearing now I think, but it's, to me, a interesting "cultural" cinematic phenomenon.

To Speedo or NOT!

It's also a cultural thing that MOST ( I know not all) Women consider the PENIS the ugliest part of a mans body! Therefore it NOT popping out in public on beaches in a Speedo is the norm.

Most Homosexuals have a very different out look apparently they are always looking for it to Pop Out :D

BUT Damn it is always the wrong guys that decide they look REMOTELY good in a SPEEDO :( Especially the guys trying to recapture their LOST SPEEDO YOUTH when they were somewhat popular!

Give me a "Tight Set of Buns" in THE NEW low waisted Board shorts with a little Butt crack showing and I am a Happy Beachgoer!

I agree that it is a shame that more people don't wear speedos, tight revealing swimsuits and snug basket bulging jeans etc. Of course one still sees plenty of speedos and sexy swimwear at a "gay" or gay friendly beach, like KathyOsterman/Hollywood beach here in Chicago.

But when wearing a speedo or sexy box cut one does get noticed. While at hotel swimming pools and at "straight" pool parties in sexy swimwear I have had someone (men and women) at some point invite me to their room or a party. Once a "straight" couple came up to me and said they were interested in me because I was the only American in a speedo.

Frankly no matter how out of shape, one ought to be able to even swim naked. If a fat guy should hide his belly, or legs then are you saying the punishment for being overweight should be restriction of fashion and being forced to be more uncomfortable than a fit folk on a hot day?

How about someone with an ugly face? They should always wear a veil? No matter how hot or awkward if your hands are ugly you ought to wear gloves?

Fuck that, wear anything you want. I welcome everyone to bare their bodies for comfort, or even exhibistic expression no matter what their imagined or actual fitness or lack thereof.

http://raulgmanzo.com/AussieJoe9496.jpg

Fuck that, wear anything you want. I welcome everyone to bare their bodies for comfort, or even exhibistic expression no matter what their imagined or actual fitness or lack thereof.

http://raulgmanzo.com/AussieJoe9496.jpg

Beautifully said, Raul!

Often, when I see someone wearing a revealing outfit regardless of the fitness expectations people normally see as pre-requisite to wear it I feel nothing but admiration and respect. I find that kind of self-acceptance and bravery infinitely much sexier than abs.

The human body is incredibly beautiful in all its different shapes. I wish one day we will be able to live in appreciation of our bodies, without shame, without trying to make it be different to what it is. I hope that one day we will be able to celebrate our desire to wear something slutty and scandalous or something elegant, and think those two desires are as valid part of who we are as the need to eat and sleep.

I think that day, a lot of people will live much happier lives.

I say, let it all hang out!

I have always worn speedos, my tan line proves it and I think its sexy. Now that I am a little older (harumph) , I still wear speedos at pool parties or the beach because I like to even though I am not a gym perfect body anymore. I just like maintaing those vintage legacy lines with a glow in the dark white butt. If I discover myself to be in a wierd social situation while wearing them, I affect a European accent (French or German) and then people relax again because we all know how crazy those older European tourists are, YAH?

Archived