THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Problem with foreign hotels.

Guest Merlin
This topic is 5137 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Merlin

Just back from Rome. I didn't realize that when one registers as a single, they feel obligated to give you half a room. The smallest sliver of space with a twin bed. Not a place you could use for an outcall.

Merlin2, did you try to change rooms with the font desk to get a more spacious room? Outside North America space is at a premium so what we are used to here just do not always translate overseas. Boutique properties and pensiones tend to really have smaller rooms. I'm often amazed at the um...efficient use of space in some of these places. Like door clearances of just a centimeter or two between the bed and the closet. If there's a closet.

Often times I advise travelers to stick to the US based chains, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, if they expect certain amenities. But for me it depends on the type of trip, business or leisure in my hotel selections overseas. For business, more spacious tends to be the focus with internet and good security. For leisure I'm often willing to give up certain expectations for a good deal and local flavor experience. Some times that local flavor winds up being a bellman or, in one case the front desk clerk. Yum! ;)

(Btw, I know you are well traveled so I’m not picking on you, just asking if changing rooms was an option.)

Merlin, I've been in Rome a fair amount. What hotel were you at?

I had this problem for years, in London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Venice, Edinburgh, Istanbul. I finally got so tired of it I actually did something about it. First, I examined why I always, always, went for the cheapest room. It was to save money, of course. Which I did. But I was miserable.

So I changed my attitude. I decided to be sure in advance that the room I was booking was in fact decent sized. Priceline is very helpful in this. They have never sold me a too-small room, although the one I had in Rome the last time came close. It was in fact big enough for a good sized bed and a chair, but that's about it. The bathroom was where the space was. But it was nice and plush.

When I don't use Priceline I use TripAdvisor, which has very specific reviews. Used in conjunction with Expedia etc., which will tell you what kind of room you are getting (as you have learned, when they say single, they really do mean single!), you can tell pretty exactly what you are getting into.

The third thing I learned is to stay away from the smaller private hotels. Many of them are charming, the people who run them are charming, they have many advantages, and are well reviewed. But the nice rooms are for couples, or for singles who pay couples prices. The "we" is the first thing I look for in hotel reviews. If all the happy ones are "we" then I will look elsewhere. It means that I usually end up at larger commercial places, often one of the chains, but, hey... Charm only goes so far when your elbow grazes the doorknob when you try to turn over in the middle of the night.

At one point in London I got so tired of the well-reviewed small hotel with single rooms the size of a Velveeta cheese box routine that I mentioned it to a friend. She promptly gave me the name of the Swedish YMCA-affiliated hotel in the Paddington area. If you want simple, inexpensive, but also room to turn around, clean, and a decent breakfast, and you don't want to do Priceliine or endless research, try the Lancaster Hall Hotel. Rock bottom prices, clean decent rooms (a little like college dorm rooms), en suite bathrooms, good breakfast. I'm not sure it would do for bringing clients in on a regular basis, but I have brought more than one working boy in with no trouble.

http://www.lancaster-hall-hotel.co.uk/

Guest greatness

oh my

I'm sorry for your experience. But you had fun in Rome right? What did you do? Did you do something special there? :)

Just back from Rome. I didn't realize that when one registers as a single, they feel obligated to give you half a room. The smallest sliver of space with a twin bed. Not a place you could use for an outcall.

Guest Merlin

Thanks BgMtr, for some good advice and a good London hotel. I allowed and agent to choose the hotel, which is a mistake I will not make again.

I had a great time over all, Greatnes, but it was my first time so I was mostly doing the usual sight seeing. So much to see in Italy.

I bought a Nikon L110 digital camera before going. 12.1 MP, 15x. Uses 4 AA batteries. Amazingly, I took 434 photos, mostly great, with one set of batteries. They are still in the camera and still working. I couldn't believe it. I carried a set of batteries around for two weeks, thinking I would need them any moment, based on other cameras I have owned. About $275, and I would recomend it to anyone.

Guest greatness

oh my

Please post some pictures like Leo did... I'm glad that you had fun and took a lot of pictures.. :)

Rome

I take little interest in the size of my hotel room when travelling as a tourist in Europe, preferring to spend my resources on other things. However, Rome is the only city in Europe where I have ever had difficulty with bringing someone back to my room. I was staying at a 3 star hotel in the Trastevere district. I returned late one night with a hunky bartender to encounter absolute refusal to allow him entry. I was determined to have some alone time with him, so ended up checking into a different 4 star hotel for a few hours for an exorbitant amount. The next day, he gave me a hair-raising tour of the city on the back of his Vespa!

Guest greatness

oh my

If a guy looks like you, I don't think he won't have any difficulty at picking up guys.. sigh.. Guys run away from me lol.. Anyways, why have you been so quiet these days? Busy traveling? Missed ya..

I take little interest in the size of my hotel room when travelling as a tourist in Europe, preferring to spend my resources on other things. However, Rome is the only city in Europe where I have ever had difficulty with bringing someone back to my room. I was staying at a 3 star hotel in the Trastevere district. I returned late one night with a hunky bartender to encounter absolute refusal to allow him entry. I was determined to have some alone time with him, so ended up checking into a different 4 star hotel for a few hours for an exorbitant amount. The next day, he gave me a hair-raising tour of the city on the back of his Vespa!

Guest Merlin

Was the cleark's objection that you were trying to us a single room for two people? Was it a money question with him? Or some rule of no visitors? Or did he suspect sex-for-hire?

Was the cleark's objection that you were trying to us a single room for two people? Was it a money question with him? Or some rule of no visitors? Or did he suspect sex-for-hire?

It is unclear what the objection was due to a language barrier. My companion attempted negotiations in Italian to no avail. It may have been that 2 people were going to a single room, though I did offer to pay for another occupant. The lateness of the hour and homophobia may have been factors. I doubt they suspected sex-for-hire (which it wasn't). I tried a number of hotels before I found one that would accomodate us, but he was worth the effort. :)

When in Rome...

I was determined to have some alone time with him, so ended up checking into a different 4 star hotel for a few hours for an exorbitant amount. The next day, he gave me a hair-raising tour of the city on the back of his Vespa!

That's a hot story, Mark. What an awesome way to experience all Rome has to offer--riding up against the hot butt of an Italian hunk on his vespa. Now, that makes me conjure up loads of sexy images! yummmmmm.

Goodfella

• 2 months later...

"Bed sizes vary considerably around the world, with most countries having their own standards and terminology. U.S. terminology refers to a twin bed to mean what is known as a single bed in other countries, whereas other countries understand twin beds to be two single beds in the same room."

I've been traveling extensively in Europe and my weirdest experience when it comes to bed sizes was in Switzerland. One need to pay attention and not to book the most inexpensive rate (single room), because you risk to get a tiny room with a small twin bed with size 39 in × 75 in.

Archived