THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

how often does your table 'break'?

glutes
This topic is 4657 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In searching around for a good massage therapist, I always ask if they use a table.

Over 50% of time time I get "well my table just broke last week, we'll have to use a bed", this is always a turn-off for me.

How often do massage tables really break, and what parts of them fail?

(BTW: I realize some never had a table, and tend to stay away from them)

I'm glad you posted this. In 10 years I only replaced my table once. My first table had a weight to 450lbs and I wanted something with a higher working weight. I'm sure tables can break but its not a common thing.thai massage is normally done on a mat on the floor. A massage on a bed comes with the risk of injuring a persons back, A deep tissue massage done on a bed serves no purpose because any pressure applied will be absorbed into the mattress.

3 most important thing when hiring are table certification from a credited school and having liability insurance. I use to get at least 1 client a week who needed help due to being injured by someone who wasn't certified or didn't use a table. there's a big difference between deep tissue and deep pressure no one can give true deep tissue unless they have been properly trained to do so. Iv noticed lately those without training are charging more than those who are. I always took extra steps to being clean by sanitizing the table after each client and b4 putting a new sheet on the table.. you cant do those steps with a bed.

Guest OCBeachbody

Wow... thank goodness a table never broke down on me. There was only one time I felt uncomfortable on a table, I remember as I was been massaged the table would move too a bit.

Just from a mechanical perspective I think the joints would fail first on the portable massage table or the legs (wobbly). Since they have tendancy to be folded back and forth again and again, and the legs worn out. Just m y guess

Iv had number of guys the 400lb range get on the table with no problem. however I had to make some changes. normally there were parts of the back work that required me to get on the table, I normally had to skip that part with anyone weighing more than 250. when I had a 450lb working weight table it did creek and make noise a few times and i was like god please dont let this table fall. then in 2008 i replaced it with a table that supports 800lbs of working weight.. that's one reason i carry insurance. there are some people you can't give a massage to for medical reason. And i doubt those who are not certified have a clue to what those conditions might be. such as a certain type of Hernia like a inguinal hernia, Osteoporosis,

area's with Varicose veins,or cancer of the lymph nodes

Guest OCBeachbody

Whats another interesting tangent to go on is how often do you clean your table? I know most of the guys I have frequent haves used "sheets", disposable sheets and towels as a cover lining for the tables. (Personally I prefer the clean smell of a cotton towel under me... sheets feel to doctorish).

Glutes bought up a great topic.... any care to chime in on this more?

I normally purchased cotton twin sheets. they are a good fit for a massage table. Id normally buy 15 then i had 15 of the fitted face cradle covers. for giving the massage I used water based cream. I never liked oil it was to oily and i found lotion to absorb to fast. A creams a good combo of both. I purchased the cream by the gallon and put the amount i figured id need in a disposable cup. after the massage I removed any remaining cream or bodily fluids lol with hot steamed towels infused with eucalyptus

Great responses

Hey Joseph,

I guess I need to come to Georgia for a massage from you. I like your responses. The best massages I have had over the years use tables like you described, use cotton sheets and lotion/creams that are water soluable yet have many of the characteristics of lotion. I hate lotion as I am quite hairy, and I always feel like I have been dipped in oil after such a session. I also love it when a masseur can climb on the table and use his body to assist in the massage... very effective and sensual too. I have never experienced being on a table when it broke, and hope never to have that experience.

I was mostly known for my leg and glut work. allot of massage therapist concentrate on the back. But the glut muscles are the biggest muscles in the body and sometimes get ignored. some people ask me what kind of massage do I like to get for myself? I say deeeeeeeeep not deep but deeeeeep lol I like for it to hurt a little. But most guys don't buy those types of massages most wanted a medium touch

Beachbunny brings up another point of the 'table', the sheets that are on it.

More than once I've gotten on a table and had a nagging thought if the sheets were 'used'.

And I have walked-out of more than one massage when I determined those sheets were dirty...

Beachbunny brings up another point of the 'table', the sheets that are on it.

More than once I've gotten on a table and had a nagging thought if the sheets were 'used'.

And I have walked-out of more than one massage when I determined those sheets were dirty...

I don't blame you I would have walked out too. I bought mine 15 at a time washed them in hot water and bleach and trashed them every 6 months. when guys shower i had that hotel size soap that's still sealed that was trashed and never used twice. I wouldn't get on a nasty table, use a nasty shower and wouldn't expect clients to do so either

Yes, tables DO break!

One of the first massages I ever received -- the table buckled a bit -- well, more than a bit, and the masseur was really pissed! He said it was a new table. No big deal for me.

Recently, however, a table jack knifed while I -- and NOT the masseur -- was on it, and I could have been injured. My ass and the small of my back hit the floor, with my hands and feet in the air. Fortunately, no harm, no foul. He apologized. I didn't ask if he had liability insurance, but had I been hurt, he would have needed it! He wasn't on the table, just me, and I weigh 180. I guess injuries aren't common, since the client isn't falling from a great height. But, yes, it happens.

Guest OCBeachbody

Glutes so are you a masseur as well? Sounds like you might be getting into the business side of things? I know just from reading about the different styles and modalities....it might be a great career choice. I know myself I love massages. Closest I been to given a massage was just a foot rub and should rub.

Guest OCBeachbody

I was reading up on those a few months ago... "tui na" has like a couple of different fields? There were internal and external massage techniques, manipulation of the chi trough pressure points, and a book I found on head massages. To be honest I got confused as there seem to be a large amount of info on Traditional Chinese Massage styles!

Well good luck, that should be fun! I know myself switching and trying out different massage styles was rather invigorating and an eye opening experience.

Guest OCBeachbody

I tried acupuncture once and it was not for me. Getting stick with the needles didn't even hurt, but the odd feeling of them just hanging there and not being able to move was mentally discomforting. However the one I did enjoy was the

"Fire Cupping" done with the glass balls. That was a little more easy to take.

I did that about four times.

Guest OCBeachbody

lol..... when did Lee turn into a girl.... lol

I had that done once in NYC and the other times down here and it was a man...

never been too comfortable with the ladies.... just feels awkward...samething with my Doc... just has to be a guy.

Although since we are on the subject and making jokes.... what can one say about this Thai version?

http://www.thaimedicalnews.com/wp-content/uploads/Man-receives-horn-cupping-treatment-Nanning-Guangxi-Zhuang.jpg

• 1 year later...
I don't blame you I would have walked out too. I bought mine 15 at a time washed them in hot water and bleach and trashed them every 6 months. when guys shower i had that hotel size soap that's still sealed that was trashed and never used twice. I wouldn't get on a nasty table, use a nasty shower and wouldn't expect clients to do so either

Most people don't realize it but bar soap is a big vector in transmitting nasty stuff, I never use bar soap at someone else's place. It says a lot that you realize this, another alternative is shower gel or liquid soap, no transmital that way.

Archived