THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Windows 7?

Kevin Slater
This topic is 5427 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Windows 7 exists primarily to make people forget they ever heard the name Vista. :rolleyes: By rights, it should have been a Vista service pack but continuing that brand was out of the question.

It's stable and works just fine. Note that it IS a continuation of Vista so it has all the security that people misguidedly disliked. But it feels like it's finally not a Beta any more.

Upgrade or full version??

since I have Vista (which freezes constantly) do I need to buy the upgrade for windows 7 or the full version? I am not computer savvy so is buying the full version is a waste of money or a requirement in order to use it.

or will it upgrade vista to windows 7 ???

any help is appreciated Thanks

Nyuk, nyuk. Now that the Mac bigots have had their chuckles, how about some USEFUL information?

David, you mentioned upgrading from Vista to Win7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

You should be able to purchase an upgrade for less than full price of a new copy. The trick will be figuring out which edition of Vista you have and which upgrade edition matches, and then how to upgrade without blowing away all your data.

For people upgrading from a version of Windows *other* than Vista, READ CAREFULLY:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd446674%28WS.10%29.aspx

It's a sticky wicket. For this one upgrade, it might make sense to let Geek Squad take care of it.

I, personally, always buy a computer to go with a new oprerating system but that's my personal bias. I don't *do* upgrades.

I'll repeat, go Apple. So much better and none of the issues. Microsoft - no more. . .

The 13" MacBook is an amazing device and very affordable. You can always get MS Office for MAC to leverage your own documents. Just DO NOT use Entourage as part of the package. The Mail client from Apple is soooo far superior.

Did I just feel a glove slap across my jowls? Ok, Here's another unbiased vote: http://movies.apple.com/media/us/mac/getamac/2009/apple-mvp-teeter_tottering-us-20091023_480x272.mov (Right!)

Yes, consider yourself slapped.

If a guy asks where to buy parts for a Ford Mustang do you reply "BUY TOYOTA! THEY'RE CHEAP!" or do you answer the question?

Now I'll go figure out what screwed up installer hell the quicktime site just put me into to view that video that I've probably seen before. (No, I *DON'T* want iTunes on this computer, dammit! :eek:)

I just treated myself to a HP mini netbook for my regular travels, to lighten my load (pun not intended :->). It came pre-installed with Windows 7.

It's cute...but being the closet geek that I am, I'm seriously considering loading the Ubuntu Netbook Remix linux distribution on it.

Yes, consider yourself slapped.

If a guy asks where to buy parts for a Ford Mustang do you reply "BUY TOYOTA! THEY'RE CHEAP!" or do you answer the question?

Now I'll go figure out what screwed up installer hell the quicktime site just put me into to view that video that I've probably seen before. (No, I *DON'T* want iTunes on this computer, dammit! :eek:)

Opinionated Nerds

If you've ever been to a standards meeting, you would soon see that there is a fuzzy line between technology and politics (with some attendees being gladiators for their employers, who sometimes have $UBSTANTIAL investments in one of several alternatives being

considered).

And there's also quite a spectrum of personalities, some being very open-minded, analytical, some being boisterous, some being self-centered and arrogant, some being painfully shy and quiet . . .

Archived