THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

The Joys of Gay Brazil

Lucky
This topic is 5421 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Since many travelogues have been written about visits to Brazil, I won't add another. I was happy to learn form a friend that I didn't have to pay to ride the Metro in Rio since I am over 60, and I was glad that I booked my room at the Atlantico through GayTravelBrazil.com, since, after I received a room right next to the construction, I was able to contact them and get moved to a better room. The Atlantico will never be on my list of favorite hotels, but the construction does not help.

What I would like to mention is this: When the local rep for GTB called me to see if I liked the new room, he asked me if I would be willing to be interviewed by a local TV station about gay tourism to Brazil. I declined, not wanting to be a spokesman. The station has taken note of the great popularity Brazil has among gays worldwide.

But what would I have said? Sure, the usual about all of the fine places I have been, the good food, the scenery and the interesting people. But surely I would have blushed onscreen had I been asked to comment on the size of the sex tourism industry. Would I have mentioned the saunas and the comparatively good rates for sexual encounters? Would I have mentioned that Sao Paolo is one of the few places left where you see street hustlers? No doubt I would have mentioned that it has the largest gay pride anywhere, but would I have mentioned that it also has the largest group of young gays that I have ever seen? Surely that might mean that Brazil's open attitudes to gays make it easier to come out younger than I did, but it would also mean that I noticed these teens holding hands! (It's not wrong to look, is it?)

If you want to see the gamut of gays in Sao Paolo, stay at the Hotel Bourbon in Centro, where the street becomes a carnival on weekend nights. One block for twinks, one for middle age, one for seniors. The collegiate types must go elsewhere! Maybe they don't want to see their future all in one street!

Well, I didn't do the interview, so I don't know what I would have said. Someone else will have to go on air to discuss the biggest things they have ever seen in Brazil!

Guest Gringo

Free Ride in Brasil?

I've heard about this guy doing a "thesis paper" or whatever, seeking to interview guys about gay tourism in Brasil. But, quite frankly, it gives me pause. I don't know about Sampa, but in Rio, the required age for a free ride on public transportation is 65---and identification cards are issued should a transit guard ask for proof of age.

Gringo, I realize that you have a lot of experience in Rio, but I showed my California ID to the security guy at the gate and each time they let me pass on the Rio Metro. I am not 65, and my friend who informed me of the rule states that it is 60, and he lives there.

The survey of which you speak is in no way connected to the interview by the tv station.

Guest dreynsol

Hope you Enjoyed Rio

Hi Lucky and thanks for your post about GTB.

I still can't believe they stuck you next to the construction since we requested an upper floor for you.

Our affiliate, once they arranged to move you to an upper floor, took it upon themselves to contact you about the TV segment which is a bit upsetting to me. I wish they would have run it by me first.

Brazil is in the running for the #1 Gay Tourist Destination in the world which was the whole reason for the TV interview, but it was intended to exclude the sexual tourism aspect of visiting Brazil.

You just happened to be there at the right time when they urgently needed someone.

And you're right that the thesis project is totally unrelated.

Sorry again about your stay at the Atlantico. There certainly are nicer hotels in Rio, but unfortunately none with the same visitation policy for bringing guests back to your room.

If you don't desire to have visitors over, it's a no-brainer, but I had 8 guys over during my last trip... not for me of course :) And, that would have amounted to a hunk of change.

- Drey

Archived