THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Embedded Videos

Guest ryan2552
This topic is 5554 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest ryan2552

Hey daddy - deej is it possible to consider allowing users to post embedded links to share appropriate 2257 content? For example youtue videos.

No

You can certainly post links to youtube videos now. There is nothing stopping you and never has been.

If you want to steal video content from youtube (or other sites) and use this site to distribute the stolen goods, um, no. Won't happen. It may sound harsh to phrase it that way, but it's exactly what you've asked for.

On the other hand, if you legally own content you'd like to share and cannot do so via any other site then please do feel free to write to daddy@daddysreviews.com to arrange for paid hosting. We're willing to help, but we're unlikely to be the only (or even best) option.

If you can't host it elsewhere we probably can't show it here.

Ryan or deej, either one, can you tell me if the video on youtube is available to the public? Or is it all copyrighted? I thought people posted their stuff there hoping it would catch on, thus letting anyone take from it.

The answer is still no

YouTube content is most definitely copyrighted, if nothing else through a compilation copyright. Start a new site called LuckyTube made up entirely of content stolen from YouTube and I suspect you'll die a slow and agonizing death plucking Google's lawyers out of your butt.

They have more money and people than we do. And they pay their people, too!

Fortunately there is no need for us to compete with them. The pay wouldn't be a bad idea but I gave up after the first decade.

Guest ryan2552
Ryan or deej, either one, can you tell me if the video on youtube is available to the public? Or is it all copyrighted? I thought people posted their stuff there hoping it would catch on, thus letting anyone take from it.

Just an additional thought to deej comments. While I am certain their is some type of copyright one does have the legal ability to post the videos on other sites. This is why YouTube provides the embedded and share links.

My question was more of a technical one. I was wondering if daddy would allow embedding the videos in our posts instead of having to leave the site via a link. Currently the MC software's format doesn't accept the embedded code. If it does I can't find it.

:)

Can someone explain to me is there a differance copyright wise if a video is embetted into a thread or just a simple link? If there is no differance & the user of the video allows embedding I don't see why it couldn't be allowed here. Of ourse legally there is no difference between embedding & a simple link.

Hugs,

Greg

Still no

It depends on what you mean by "embed". I hate this, but there are several different meanings.

The YouTube meaning, when they say "embedded" is a link that displays the first frame of the video and a player. It's still a link, not an embed. (There's a LOT going on in that link and a lot goes on here that might mess with it.) The Windows/Mac version means Daddy has to pony up disk space to actually store the video. He becomes the de-facto host.

The latter will NOT happen. The former, I'm not sure. Haven't tried, and probably won't. It just means one more thing to police. ::sigh::

It depends on what you mean by "embed". I hate this, but there are several different meanings.

The YouTube meaning, when they say "embedded" is a link that displays the first frame of the video and a player. It's still a link, not an embed. (There's a LOT going on in that link and a lot goes on here that might mess with it.) The Windows/Mac version means Daddy has to pony up disk space to actually store the video. He becomes the de-facto host.

The latter will NOT happen. The former, I'm not sure. Haven't tried, and probably won't. It just means one more thing to police. ::sigh::

Thanks for clearing that up for me Deej. What I meant was what you described about the first frame of the video and player.

Hugs,

Greg

Thanks for clearing that up for me Deej. What I meant was what you described about the first frame of the video and player.

Hugs,

Greg

Sorry about the confusion, Greg. My bad!

In that case, the video stays on YouTube's servers, the link goes to YouTube's servers, the player even comes from YouTube's servers. Tech guys like me hear "embed" and we think embed, not the Youtube baby-speak version that doesn't embed a doggone thing. ;-)

There may not be any problem using one of those links here EXCEPT for the fact that there's software that makes up these pages, and it messes with stuff (for very good reasons). YMMV. As I said originally nothing is stopping you from posting a YouTube link now, and you now know that what they call "embed" is actually just another form of link.

Archived