THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Why not open your own Gaiety franchise?

Cooper
This topic is 6906 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

With the Gaiety now gone, I often wonder why no NY entrepreneur has taken on the challenge of opening a similiar place. The Gaiety Theatre didn't close because of police activity but because the building was sold and all it's tenants had to vacate. As for available space, perhaps the Times Square area is too pricey, but walking around 9th Ave. will prove a lot of space is available and close to hotels. There's no question that the format at the G worked and could be profitable for someone who's got the money, drive and willingness to take on the risk. Anyone interested?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cooper given the price of a lease in any major metro area let alone NYC I just do not see this being possible.

While there may not have been(ahem)illegal acts going on in the G their was undoubtedly an understanding behind the owners of the G and the authourities.

Whu would anyone with the sufficiant capital want to invest in a (sadly)dying buisness.

Open a pet shop instead and sell beautiful parrots!

Sadly, There was a great "Bird Fancier" Shop in the Village.

BUT like alot of other small businesses,it closed due to the High and Ridiculous Commercial Rents, some of the "Greedier" Manhattan Landlords are asking! The only creatures spared the "High Rents" are the Rats & Pigeons...LOL

:+

BGinP: Your tag line says, "We are all in the gutter - but some of us are looking at the stars." O.W.

There are many New York business men who are looking towards the "stars" and willing to take on any type of risk... Anyone can open a "parrot" store, but how many can keep the parrot alive for 30 years? Ms. Denise did.

Sir Cooper,

I think the reason that no one has has the balls to open another Gaiety type club is the POLICE....Stellas, the short lived bar near the port of authority....The police seem to have a hobby of closing Gay strip orientated clubs due to silly mistakes by dancers. I would love to open a strip club BUT it doenst seem to be a good investment in NY, a unfriendly gay city. When you travel to montreal gay strip clubs are out in clear view and welcome, the only way i see it happening in NY would be to open a private club making the rules a little diffrent.

"I've said it before and i'll say it again... If you don't like 15 Minutes, then simply ignore it."

BN 2005

http://www.15minutesmore.com

Hey Taz, Your search has ended and not in MTL. Just got the official word, OW Bar is up for sale. I think 58th St. is a lot more gay friendly than Times Square. The bar is across the street from the Townhouse, one of the last remaining bars where you still can find a working boy.

Taz puts his finger on the main reason why there will be no new Gaiety. Denise obviously reached an understanding with the police about just exactly what would be allowed and what would not, and enforced it with ruthless efficiency. But hers was an establishment of long standing and was grandfathered in for the new regime, making adjustments to allow her to continue in business (and to continue to pay taxes). But a new business would face an entirely different zoning and approval situation, and a much less favorable prospect as a new approval.

Perhaps Stella's would still be in operation if the management had made clear to boys and patrons alike what the boundaries are and made them stick. But they didn't. My personal feeling about it is that the boys at Stella's were really not professionals in the sense of looking forward to a career of some length, and so they just blew off whatever rules were laid down, which were probably the same no touching business as at Gaiety. And the inevitable happened.

Coop,

hehehehehe....Not the original person that we were talking about, but his friend. we had a chance to talk about a lot of stuff including the business. Some of the biggest hurdles would be a steady stream of dancers, contacting them and getting them to show up. Otherwise, it might be more like a review Chippendales style with pretty much the same guys with a little variety.

There is definitely a way to do it, but the person would have to have an incredible amount of patience, be able to work very well with others (even freaks, both clients and dancers) and be backed by some serious money. I have no doubt that if someone really wanted to do it and had the resources, then it would become a reality...I think that person would have to deal with a lot of shit though, so they would really have to love doing it.

Like Cooper I would like nothing better than for someone to open a Gaiety type club in NY. Unfortunately the atmosphere isn't very encouraging in today's climate. More than money however it would take someone who is really willing to put in the long hours to make it work. What kept the Gaiety going for so long was that Denise put in 12 hour (or more) days, 7 days a week, 360 (or more) days a year for 30 years, all the while sitting in a little box office.

Find another individual who is willing to do that and I'll buy you dinner. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

I would love to be proven wrong.

IMHO..Foxy has said it all! Dealing with the "Eye Candy" day in and day out, I am sure is not easy! You could end up with a hell of a Stomach Ache! Stroking Ego's isn't like Stroking Dicks!

Just the Amount of Shows per day, had some of the "Hottest Guys" saying "No Thanks" to any return engagements..Especially if they Advertised their Services elsewhere, like Rentboy/NYC..

They didn't make any money doing the Stage routine...Pvts still was what pulled the $$ in.. :+

JT is right. The Gaiety may look like an easy business to run, but it isn't. Denise is a workaholic who ran the place almost singlehandedly and had not taken a vacation in 12 years. She was accustomed to handling the myriad problems associated with managing the place and keeping it running. Not many people are willing to put up with that sort of thing. There are easier ways to make money if you don't have the experience or the taste for that sort of thing.

The idea that the Gaiety has not opened again althought there are a lot of available spaces is based on the assumption that Denise is no longer interested. That is not true. At present she has 3 agencies looking for a suitable place. It may seem like there are lots of suitable spaces along ninth ave. but that ignores the zoning restrictions which do not allow a theater with a show such as the Gaiety had to be within a certain distance of a church or residential structure. If you walk along the side streets of the Times Sq area you will see churches on practically every block. In addition there are new high rises either built or in the planning stage along both Eighth and Ninth Avenues. If you go farther west you are no longer in a favorable transportation zone. Nobody else has tried to open a new Gaiety because they will meet up with the same problems Denise has.

I know I don't post much but I felt the need to share this with you all. Interestingly (and semi-related to this thread), I got a call out of the blue from one of my favorite people -- Tyler of G fame (he's back in NYC, btw). He is working with someone to use an established club on Sunday for a "male" night. Not that I'm an expert or anything but he asked me a few questions and got my opinion on a potential ad -- which I suggested be changed lol. Things are still in a preliminary state but I think you will start to see word of this in the coming weeks. He said the plan was to have this up and running by January.

He said it was okay to drop the word and since this was the place that helped provide me guidance with the G and various MTL clubs, I thought I'd share with you all first. I'll be sure to keep you all posted as he tells me more.

PS - anyone been to TO lately? I'm going 11/10-13 and hoping Remingtons is having good run ;-)

"Tyler is working with someone to use an established club on Sunday for a "male" night...Things are still in a preliminary state but I think you will start to see word of this in the coming weeks."

Hey Dude, Thanks for the heads up on Tyler's project. It sounds very promising. Please keep us posted.

>Has anyone heard of a new NYC male strip bar called Club 20?

>Located on West 20th St?

LOL - this is the place Tyler is working on/with. I believe it will be called The 20 Club. Accoding to Tyler, it isn't up and running yet but if you know different, Cooper, please let us know (I'm in DC, so I'm a bit out of the loop - ;-) ). I have a call into Tyler. I'll let you know what he says when we speak.

"I have a call into Tyler. I'll let you know what he says when we speak."

Hey Dude, This is all very good news. When you speak with Tyler see if you can find out where on W. 20th it's located. Taz, Foxy, and I will check it out.

Archived