THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Boardwalk May be Demolished

Karl-G
This topic is 7197 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Fort Lauderdale newspaper on Monday reported plans to demolish the Boardwalk Bar. A large developer, the Tarragon South Corp., would like to raze eight acres of buildings, including the Boardwalk and the GLCC (Gay-Lesbian Community Center) across the street, in order to build 400 living units, apartments, condos, and townhouses, as well as stores to create a center called "Uptown Village." The GLCC president has signed an agreement to sell and the GLCC will receive a good sum of money to pay off its debts and also a new location and building. According to the article, all the other property owners have also agreed to sell, except for the owners of the Boardwalk. The stripper bar would not be allowed to continue operating in such a location. There is a picture of Sean David, one of the owners of the Boardwalk, and a statement that he and his partner are considering the offer. Title of article: "Single Holdout resists 'Big Deal'." Page B1 of Sun-Sentinel.

I don't know what the restrictions are on dancers are in FL these days, but if they relocate will the governments involved be able to crack down on them more as far as lap dances, distance from patrons, etc., or is that kind of stuff grandfathered?

Victor has shown amazing resiliancy in keep the Boardwalk alive. I first visited his other place in what has now become Sunny Isles some years ago. For me, it was wonderful. Somewhat seedy, but not much light and lots of intimacy. I even had the startling experience of being there one night when the cops raided the place.

The current location in Fr. Lauderdale has been less a favorite of mine. The whole bar area is much larger, and has way too much light. The friendliness of the dancers seems to have diminished as well. Now, after shaking you down for a tip, they can't wait to quickly move on to the next guy. I know that commerce and making a living is involved here, but my initials are not ATM.

However, having said all that, I do get the perception from having recently visited their site that a new atmosphere may be in place. Therefore, I plan to visit there on my next trip to SoFL. Hope it's still in time before they are closed or moved.

Ft Lauderdale would not be the same without the Boardwalk bar. The new location is definitely not as dark as the old but the old was not a place you really wanted to see! I recall being in the old Collins Ave. location when pepper spray was released into the AC by a disgruntled dancer. The rescue squad was called as all of us ran out of the bar coughing and gasping for air! What a scene as scantilly clad dancers stood outside with a wide range of fully clothed older men--all wondering what the hell was going on. (I shudder to think what would happen if something like this occured today)! The new Boardwalk is a much nicer establishment (including an attendant in the restroom). It is also located in a far more gay friendly area. I hope Boardwalk continues to thrive and I trust Karl will keep us updated on this important matter.

Archived