THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Report on Fort Lauderdale

Guest jamier
This topic is 7306 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Here are a few thoughts on a long weekend in Fort Lauderdale. Not my original choice of destination, but it ended up being a lot of fun by day and night...

Fort Lauderdale Airport is cute. I loved the cool contemporary styling. But there was something I’d been thinking about for ages – would I need a car? I much prefer not to worry about driving in new places, to drink vast quantities of alcohol and get around on buses and taxis.

In Fort Lauderdale take the WATER BUS. At just $10 for three days of unlimited travel it’s great value. Luckily my hotel (about $45 a night on Priceline.com) was only about 15 minutes walk from one of the stops and it was a pleasant 20 minute ride along the New River into downtown Fort Lauderdale – Las Olas Riverfront, the shops, cafes and the Museum of Art.

In the other direction, heading up the Intercoastal, a relaxed ride of over an hour takes you to the huge air-conditioned Galleria Mall for great shopping. Or carry on a further 30 minutes to Shooters restaurant – the furthest stop for the Water Bus. The beach is located a few minutes from the Water Bus Base on both of their routes, where you will find miles of sandy beaches, and great value dining especially before about 5pm. And these Water Buses run until after Midnight.

You can pretty much get to two of Fort Lauderdale’s three strip clubs on the Water Bus too if you don’t mind a bit of walking…

DUDES – http://www.dudesbar.com - at 3270 NE 33rd Street, is only about three blocks from Shooters restaurant. This bar features two rooms – one with a pianist singing show tunes (actually very cute!), and the other with the strippers! Seating along the bar on one side, then three podiums with dancers along the other side of the room. I only briefly stopped at Dudes on Saturday, just after the dancers had started at 8.30pm. The place was dead but, hey, chance to chat to some of the lads and enjoy an amazing private dance in the curtained off lounge area! Plus the Margaritas were very cheap! Dudes seemed the most ‘upmarket’ of the three strip clubs.

JOHNNY’S – http://www.johnnysboys.com - at 1116 West Broward Boulevard, is a bit of a walk from the Water Bus stop at Las Olas Riverfront. Again, two rooms and two bars, one with the dancers. The food served after 8pm is great and good value. The dancers a good mix – at least eight when I was there late on a Saturday night. Love the ‘goth’ looking dancer with the eye-liner and scary eyes!

The third strip club, and in my view definitely the best, is BOARDWALK – http://www.boardwalkbar.com - located a short taxi ride from Johnny’s, and not close to the Water Bus. Boardwalk opens earlier than the other two at 4pm and has much more of a ‘dive-y’ feel. Sunday afternoon they had a grill outside serving free hamburgers and hotdogs – the chef extremely good looking too, and 2-for-1 drinks. Cool! With a lot of tourists staying away after hurricane warnings, it was pretty quiet. But with around 20 dancers and possibly less customers, I was talked into doing a couple of $20 private dances that seemed to last forever ;-). The place has a bar in the middle of the room, with a stage at both ends. The dancers were introduced by an old drag queen who also mimed along at random moments to some of her pre-recorded cabaret hits. Funny. The dancers were a great mixture – a gorgeous guy from Chile and a more muscular lad from Hungary two of my favorites.

Just remember that the dancers have to PAY THE CLUB to dance there. And they keep the tips given as they dance or circulate the room, or for private dances. TIP THEM WELL.

I also went to a couple of the dance clubs in Fort Lauderdale. COPA was a lot of fun, unpretentious and with some cute go-go dancers. CATHODE RAY on Las Olas Boulevard was less about the dancing and more about looking good, full of pretty boys and lipstick lesbians.

So actually, Fort Lauderdale has everything – good shopping, beaches, fun strip clubs and dance clubs. One of the best things I've ever done was the 'Everglades day safari' on an airboat, seeing some aligators up close. Not bad for a long weekend with cheap flights and hotel!

Jamie.

Thanks for a really wonderful and useful post. I have a place in Miami Beach and go there three to six times a year. I am planning on going down for a break soon, and you have made me think about getting up to Lauderdale.

Also reminded me of a conversation I had with a cab driver. He told me that the gay scene in South Beach (I am at mid-beach) was slowing down and that it was really happening more in Lauderdale.

Anyone know if that's the case?

Anyhow, Karl, I will be visiting Lauderdale soon - and its thanks to you!!

hg

>Thanks for a really wonderful and useful post. I have a

>place in Miami Beach and go there three to six times a year.

>I am planning on going down for a break soon, and you have

>made me think about getting up to Lauderdale.

>

Although I think the strip club scene overall is better in Montreal, my favorite individual dancer in the world dances at Johnny's in FLL. So I am going there just after Black and Blue myself.

Since you aren't making it to Montreal, meet you in Florida??

LOL!

Someday, someday.

:-)

Hey Marc Anthony!

My first chance to get up to Montreal will be in November, like the weekend after Thanksgiving. Can't wait. Do you know if anyone else will be there? Also, any recommendations from among the latest talent?

And yes, I really hope to meet you!

hg

>Hey Marc Anthony!

>

>My first chance to get up to Montreal will be in November,

>like the weekend after Thanksgiving. Can't wait. Do you know

>if anyone else will be there? Also, any recommendations from

>among the latest talent?

Hey Happyguy:

hmmmm.... don't have a calendar right in front of me, but won't the weekend after Thanksgiving be December already? Cold brrrrr.......

Anyway, not sure who will be there. Winter travel to Montreal is pretty sporadic and depends a lot on weather.

As for new dancers, will have more to offer after I return there next week. In fact, you have been there more recently than I have!

I am sure I will be posting a report.

Hi Marc

Good Saturday morning!

Sorry I wasn't clear in my post. Must have been late! I am planning to go after Thanksgiving Day (November 11). Probably arriving on November 12 for the weekend. I realize that family obligations also complicate this timing - not to mention the weather as well. But it is the absolute first time I will be able to be there.

Look forward to your latest info during your trip next week... I am so jealous.

hg

>Hi Marc

>

>Good Saturday morning!

>

>Sorry I wasn't clear in my post. Must have been late! I am

>planning to go after Thanksgiving Day (November 11). Probably

>arriving on November 12 for the weekend.

I am afraid you have me even more confused now, happy guy! LOL

I was pretty sure that Thanksgiving always falls on the 4th Thursday of the November month, so I checked just to be sure... and it is on Nov 25. Are you referring to Veteran's Day as the Holiday that you will come up on?

OMIGAWD!

I am changing my name to FUCKEDUPGUY!

You are absolutely right. It is just after Veterans Day. After manking such a stupid mistake, betchya the gods send me a majoy montreal blizzard during my trip. Originally, my first chance to get up was after Thanksgiving, but things changed - and it is, in fact, after Veterans Day.

Sorry for the mistake!

hg

Guest zipperzone

>I was pretty sure that Thanksgiving always falls on the 4th

>Thursday of the November month, so I checked just to be

>sure... and it is on Nov 25. Are you referring to Veteran's

>Day as the Holiday that you will come up on?

Some incidental intelligence - Canadian Thanksgiving falls on October 11th this year which coincides with your Columbas Day. Which by the way is also "Health & Sports Day" in Japan (just in case any of you are planning an Asian trip this month)

Why not join us in Montreal on Oct 11? There will be lots for you to give thanks for........

>

>Why not join us in Montreal on Oct 11? There will be lots for

>you to give thanks for........

>

Columbus Day is always the day of the Black and Blue Festival in Montreal... so yes, I will be in Canada during that time.

And yes, I am VERY thankful for all that wonderful city, province, and country have to offer.

:9

>Does Sammy Case still dance in Ft. Lauderdale?

Last I talked with him (and this was a few weeks ago so things may have changed by now), he was "taking a break" from dancing, but intending to start up again when the high season began.

So in answer to your question.... maybe and maybe not.

:-)

Archived