THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

How I spent my summer vacation – Taboo

newatthis
This topic is 7335 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

After my dyspeptic Taboo posts in June, firecat offered to mentor me during my next visit. A rendezvous was arranged for last Tuesday night, not without some good-natured grumbling on his part about trying to conserve his capital by visiting Taboo only on weekends.

On my own I dropped by on Monday night, plunked myself down at a table and ordered a beer. The scene was the familiar one: a few dancers sitting with customers along the walls, many more playing pool or sitting in groups chattering among themselves. No one paid any attention to me.

Resigned to watching the dancing in my customary Taboo solitude, I was astounded when suddenly Joey – acrobatic, bundle-of-energy Joey – sat down next to me and began talking a mile a minute. In June, Joey was always with a regular or playing pool, and he gave off vibes of being completely unapproachable. Up close, he looked his age (21), rather than the 15 he appears to be on stage. He was in a bad mood – fuming about “some web site that wrote bad things about my being anti-American” and about “400 pound overweight customers who criticize how I live my life”. At some point I mentioned that I was going to meet firecat there the next night, and he said, approvingly, “I know him.”

When I arrived for the Tuesday rendezvous, I could not spot anyone wearing the distinctive cap firecat had told me to look for. Sammy the waiter said he hadn’t seen firecat. Claude the manager professed not to know who firecat was. I sat down alone at a table in front of 2 cute dancers to wait. Joey appeared and asked where firecat was. When I said I couldn’t find him, Joey disappeared again, returning in a few minutes with the news the firecat was in back with a dancer (so much for conserving his capital!).

Once firecat finally emerged and sat down, dancers started coming over to greet him, including the two behind me (Steve and Max). I was introduced to all of them as firecat’s friend. Several stopped by to drink with us and talk. In between I was treated to firecat’s vast knowledge and interesting stories about the clubs and the dancers. He recommended I try a dance with Allan, and boy, was he right. He recommended against certain others. He said (somewhat wistfully, I thought) “you can’t do dances with all of them,” and suggested that, as a public service, I concentrate on the new dancers and give a report.

On Thursday night I met MTLover and his hubby at Taboo, which they had never visited in their many Montreal trips. I was pretty played out by then and only did dances with Allan (irresistible if you’ve tried him once) and Joey, mostly as a thank-you for all the time he spent with me. However, MTLover stepped up to firecat’s metaphorical plate and did a very long and exhaustive audition of newcomer Jonathan (whose picture has just appeared on their web site) while I kept his hubby company at our table. I hope he’ll post a report on Jonathan in the near future.

My view of Taboo is more nuanced that it was in June. The night after I visited with firecat, almost none of the dancers he had introduced me to were there, and I was pretty much ignored (once again, Joey was the exception; all the more remarkable since I had yet to do more than buy him a drink and chat). On my last night, I did get a warm reception from a few dancers whom I met with firecat, and from some I had done dances with, like Allan and Criss.

I suspect now that much of this behavior is age-related. In general, the more socially adept dancers like Criss and Ghislain were not the 18/19-year olds. While Campus also had some 18/19-year olds, they were much better with customers than their Taboo counterparts; there may be some self-selection taking place. This would also explain why the young dancers at Taboo gravitate to regular customers who are in the club all the time: they feel more comfortable with people they know. (On the other hand, firecat says not to discount the fact that some of these regulars have big bucks to throw around.)

The sheer number of dancers at Taboo – most of whom do interesting and lively routines – can be overwhelming. Three of the 4 weeknights I visited there were over 20 dancers working. On weekends the number can rise into the 30’s.

The level of English was better than at any of the other clubs I visited. Quite a few dancers were native speakers, and almost all had better English than I had French. This was true to a lesser extent at Campus as well.

Many posters have already commented negatively about the essentially wide-open and very off-putting back room at Taboo. Even worse from my point of view, however, is the rigid rule enforcement – essentially NO dancer-customer touching is permitted outside the back room. None of the back rubs or massages, little caresses, fondling, kisses which I’ve come to enjoy at least as much as the private dances.

And there are many restrictions on what can happen in back as well, enforced by hawk-eyed guards who wander through every minute or two checking things out. In the back room I asked one dancer if he enjoyed my fondling his nipples. “Not really,” he said, so I asked what he *did* like, and he replied “really good kissing.” When I motioned him forward for some kissing, he told me that it wasn’t allowed (although he then managed to sneak in some wonderfully soft and hot kisses when the guards weren’t paying attention, real “stolen kisses”!).

I'm the guy who wrote the review in April mentioning Joey. I'm sorry he missed the point of my comment. He went on at some length about how he dislikes the American government but likes Americans. My only point was that he should cool the politics because we go to Taboo for fun, not to engage in unpleasant reality. I happen to agree with him about the American government. I never called him anti-American, but I can see how he might have interpreted my comments here as saying that. I don't believe I said anything bad about him personally at all. I apologize for offending him as that was not my intent. I actually found him to be quite cute with a pleasant personality. I was just suggesting that the dancers should remember that we are buying a few hours of escape and fantasy. I think the phrase that applies to our encounter in April was "buzz-kill." I lost the mood, and Joey lost some money.

I appreciate the posts as I'm heading back in September. And I will probably spend some time with Joey, although I won't mention that I wrote the post.

RE: Joey

I wouldn't worry about it. He seemed to be in a particularly bad mood that Monday night; I never heard him mention any of those things again.

Of all the dancers I spent time talking with, he was the one whose personality I understood the least. He couldn't sit still -- he'd sit down next to me, engage in intense conversation for a few minutes, then bounce back up and either prowl around the room or play some pool. A little later he'd be back again. Over the course of 4 evenings, I learned a lot about him, but really have no clue as to what makes him tick. Though I find his energy on stage very attactive, I didn't feel much connection with him in person -- as I wrote, I took him for a few dances out of a sense of gratitude for his keeping me company when no one else was paying attention.

I'll be interested to hear what you think after you've seen him again.

RE: How I spent my summer vacation ? Taboo

I am back from a long (heavenly) weekend in Montreal and am proud to report, I've lost my Taboo virginity. Having kept pretty exclusively to the St. Catherine clubs, I ventured off (with a kind invitation from newatthis) to find out what I've been missing. I arrived with hubby (who is so patient with my extended private dance times) and looked for newatthis (wasn't there yet) so we stood at the bar for a drink. A great (though unfamiliar to me) song started playing and I found myself dancing with the nearest partner available which happened to be Jonathan who was also enjoying the song. I asked if he knew it, and he did not, but suggested I ask the DJ. We began talking about the dance clubs in town and which ones we enjoyed most. I'm a sucker for beautiful eyes and smile and Jonathan can melt your heart with both. He told me he'd been dancing less than a week and was enjoying it so far. I'm not one for twinks, usually, but Jonathan charmed the hell out of me and soon we were in the back for a wonderfully passionate (interactive as can be allowed) time which made me think he's either a natural flirt or he's done this before. I didn't care. Had a great time. He appeared to be kept quite occupied on subsequent visits and never had a chance to get a repeat private with him.

Saturday I wandered in around 1am and found Jonathan gone for the evening but a cutie named Ike offered to fill in. It was well worth the time. Another hottie.

Returned to Taboo each night thereafter (through last night) enjoying the atmosphere more than anything. What the club lacks in hunk-factor, it more than compensates in the (fun) energy department, something you never encounter in Campus or Stock these days. Last night (Sunday) they had an auction, the proceeds of which were going to a 'retiring' member of the staff (I believe.) It was great fun, though I realized too late that winners were the last bidder, not the highest. I bid $20 on Ike and was disappointed that someone threw in $2 at the end and snatched the private dance away. Next time, I will be more savvy bidder.

Thanks to newatthis for convincing me to try this favorite of all clubs. I now know what all the fuss is about.:-)

Guest msclonly

What is the weather like in Montreal this week, re: temperature and rain/sunshine?

Thanks, arriving Thurs AM.:+

Had incredible weather last week. Warm days and comfortable nights. Temps stayed in the 80's daytime and 60's at night. Rained only briefly Sunday evening but cleared up in time for the club visits. Being from Florida, I was in really enjoying the break from the heat. Have a great time and hope the weather cooperates. :-)

>

>Thanks to newatthis for convincing me to try this favorite of

>all clubs. I now know what all the fuss is about.:-)

I am very happy that both you and newatthis found some energy and fun at Taboo. It really is my favorite of clubs, and nothing helps a club more than a house FULL of happy, horny customers.

:7

> Even worse from my point of view, however, is the rigid rule

>enforcement – essentially NO dancer-customer touching is

>permitted outside the back room. None of the back rubs or

>massages, little caresses, fondling, kisses which I’ve come to

>enjoy at least as much as the private dances.

??? I was there during Pride weekend and engaged in all of these things with some of the dancers in the main bar area with no problems or scolding. I didn't realize that this behavior was "taboo" :-) Maybe the place was just to crowded that weekend for the powers that be to keep up with everything. Thinking back on it though, I was also there on some slow nights during the winter and I was still allowed to engage in this casual flirting/touching activity? Is this a new rule? Sigh...

Hope to meet up with some of you fellow Hoovillians some day.

dances.

>

>

>??? I was there during Pride weekend and engaged in all of

>these things with some of the dancers in the main bar area

>with no problems or scolding. I didn't realize that this

>behavior was "taboo" :-)

I agree. I have never been chastised for having a dancer massage my neck, or give a hug, or a playful kiss.

They don't like it when the dancer sits on your lap (for any extended period of time, anyway), but have not seen problems with the other things.

RE:Taboo rigidity about "rules"

Didn't mean to make it sound as if there is no flexibility at all. Of course there are variations in the level of enforcement at Taboo, and I've benefited from them.

However there are marked differences (in my experience, of course) between Taboo and the other clubs.

What I'm talking about is more than a just a quick kiss or back rub. At other clubs I can give a dancer a 5 minute shoulder/neck massage, or sit with him at a table talking while he caresses my leg, thigh, and points north and/or I do the same to him. Or stand behind him at the bar with my arms around him while we talk. Or vice versa.

Only at Taboo has this issue ever come up. And some former Taboo dancers whom I met at other clubs cited this as one of their reasons for leaving.

Archived