THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Montreal Photo Album III

Karl-G
This topic is 7305 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Montreal Photo Album III [p]

is now posted at the Epson site. This walks along Ste. Catherine Street from St. Andre Street in the west past Dunkin' Donuts, Cora's Restaurant, Piazzetta Restaurant, Campus Bar, Stock Bar, Bistro Restaurant, Beaudry Metro Stop, Internet Cafe and Subway, Relaxe Bear Bar, Priape Gay Store (clothing, underwear, leather gear, magazines, videos, CDs, calendars, gifts, lubes, toys, etc.), Black Eagle Leather Bar, Le Planete Vegetarian Restaurant, Second Cup of Coffee Shop, Sky Complex of bars, discos, restaurants, Bourbon Street Complex and Club Sandwich, Donatella Restaurant, La Strega Italian Restaurant (very good and moderate in price), Idem's and Rocky's Gay Country Bars for dancing, singing, and having a good time, Adonis Stripper Bar, Stud Bar, Taboo Stripper Bar, and some typical Montreal houses just off Ste. Catherine, featuring the wrought iron exterior staircases going to the second and sometimes third floor. Many of these homes/condos are owned by gays.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4222791&a=31305056&f=

I hope you enjoy the visual tour. A fourth album with photos from "Old Montreal" will be up by this evening, and that will be the end.

Karl

Thanks for the great pics and for keeping Montreal alive in my mind. I have been home from that great city for just over a month now..IT was my first of what I hope to be many visits..Just have to save up enough to return... Ahhhh... to quote from Fiddler on the Roof... "If I were a rich man..."

Montreal Photo Album IV

[br] is now up on the Epson site. This album is all photos of "Old Montreal," the area down by the harbor where the original settlement was located. All of the city's business came by boat, so this was crucial. By the mid 20th century, however, the port facilities, new, had all moved to the far east of the city, and the harbor and its many warehouses were abandoned. But for the last severl years this has been revitalized and is now a center of city life. The major area is called Place Jacques Cartier and is a pedestrian zone with no cars or trucks allowed. It starts at the top of the hill with the Palais de Justice/Courthouse and Hotel de Ville/City Hall, with a beautiful fountain between them. Horse drawn carriages are lined up outside. On Saturdays there are often weddings at the Hotel de Ville and you can watch them take pictures by the fountain. All along the Place coming down to the water there is a continuous line of cafes, with both outdoor and indoor seating, on both sides. Mussels (you get 48 steamed!) with fries and a beer and "Fraises au Poivre" for dessert make a wonderful lunch. (That's "Strawberries with Pepper" - it's the most refreshing dessert you will ever have.) In the center there are street entertainers, flower stalls, print stalls, caricature artists, tattoo artists, people who will braid your hair with colorful yarn, etc. The "Bicycle Boy" is one of my favorite entertainers. Then the waterfront has been cleaned up and the wharves are now filled with restaurants and shops and places to rent bicycles, skates, little carts on wheels that you pedal, etc. This is all pedestrian zone, and on weekends there are tens of thousands of people here. There is a path which goes along the harbor, to a bridge, out to the islands, across several islands, back across another bridge, and returns you to this area - all without vehicular traffic. It is wonderful. Meanwhile, these days the warehouses are all being converted into chic lofts/condos and boutique hotels. There are lots of very good restaurants on the side streets on both sides, plus art galleries, tourist shops, and the fabulous "Excalibur," a shop which sells medieval products only. It is certainly worth spending a day down here.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4222791&a=31305627&f=

This is the end of the photographs of Montreal; I hope you have enjoyed them and will take advantage of the real thing soon.

Karl

Dear Karl,

I got back from a long trip to Europe last night and I am just getting caught up on the MC. REALLY enjoyed your four photo albums of Montreal. It is a great city - just love it - haven't been there for a long time - but your albums made me want to go back.

Although Old Montreal makes your heart soar - I think the two photos of the reversible comforter should win some sort of prize.

By the way, is today not the Canadian Fourth of July? If it is, Happy Birthday Canada (and especially to the Boys of Montreal!)

Thanks again!

hg

Today is Dominion Day in Canada and, although they would gladly take the day off, not all native French-speaking Quebequers/Quebecers wave the red Maple Leaf flag on this day. June 24 (St. Jean Baptiste) is the 4th of July for French-speaking Quebequers/Quebecers and 'tis the day that they wave the blue Fleur-de-lis flag.

As the Canucks celebrate Dominion Day, let us not forget that two of greatest Canadian figures (in my opinion) in this century are from Quebec: Loyalist Pierre Trudeau and his rival Nationalist Rene Levesque. Both of them (in my opinion) contributed to what we now know of and enjoy as Oh Canada! and Montreal.

To quote Charles de Gaulle: Vivre to Quebec livre!

>Two great french Canadiennes-Kevin Dean and Tristan Paris!

A little piece of trivia for all of you Montreal aficionados -

Tristan used to work at Taboo in his pre-Falcon days and was actually "M. Taboo" in (I think) 1997 or 1998.

Karl,

Just curious, what camera were you using in your Montreal album photos? Digital or film camera? While the photos need to be a touch brighter, they're evidently of a high quality (no noise, CA,..etc.), which is obvious despite the small photo file sizes.

Good work!

They are digital, Canon Power Shot A 300, and I take them in a large format but present them here in smaller size so they load quickly and don't take up much storage. I just printed a bunch at Walgreen's, and they are absolutely clear. If anyone is interested, every Walgreen's store now has a special machine for printing photos from digital cameras; this is a different machine from the one they have long had for printing duplicates from prints. Take your memory device, of whatever kind your camera uses or a digital disk, and go to the machine. Insert and then say you want to customize. You see an image and you can crop, lighten, darken, zoom in or out, etc. It is very easy. Then print only the ones you want. If you get 1-49, they cost $ .29 each; if you get 50 or more at a time, they cost only $ .20 each. They are very high quality; you get them instantly so you can print the images you just took two minutes ago; and they are very easy to do. You can print multiple copies for gifts of friends who are on pictures or who would enjoy memories.

KARL-G,great minds think alike!A friend told me yesterday about these new digital photo kiosks and they sound just great!So yesterday I went to officemax.com(using a FFmilage portal of course!)and bought a 4 mp no name for $100 after rebate.

Using the kiosks I don't have to buy a special printer/paper and I only have to print the photos I like.The normal 4x6 prints cost $0.23 each here in the LA area-looking forward to trying it out.

Guest msclonly

Beautiful pictures

are due to the fantastic accurate exposure meter of the Nikon D70.

I tried for years with several of their top models to get perfect color exposure without success until I got the N90 Auto Focus.

It is amazing what a little difference in F stop will make in the color saturation of the film and now much easier with the digital models. But all that electronics make for a heavy piece of equipement.

Am debating if I should trade in all my F3's, N90, and full Hasselbald system with 3 lenses and multiple film backs for the new Digital technology. At least HP could print the pictures for me, since the Photo Labs are aging due to digital technology.

Peary Rader of Iron Man magazine did send me a letter stating, that my pictures and color Cover shots were the best of all the materials he received. Everything I sent him was published until he sold the magazine to the present Editor and publisher.

Keep up the good work.

:+ :+

Archived