THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Multiple cuts and pastes

Kevin Slater
This topic is 5821 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Often I fond myself doing a task where I want to cut and paste three or more different phrases. Say I'm using Craig's List and want to copy the link to the ad, the reply-to address, and the header so I can then go to my web-based email and write a reply. As I understand it, the Windows clipboard can only save one item at a time, so I have to toggle between browser tabs three times to compose my reply. Is there some way to be able to save three snippets from one page then go to another and paste them separately? Seems like there should be a way to save one thing as F1, another as F2, etc. and then paste them elsewhere using those keys. Not a major hassle, just a minor annoyance that I wonder if someone's solved.

Kevin Slater

You're pretty much describing the intent of the Office clipboard services, but the implementation leaves a LOT to be desired and prevents broader use.

For this kind of thing, I have an empty txt file open in Notepad almost all the time. (It opens in my startup group.) Notepad is also handy for "cleaning" HTML poisoning when copying source code from a website.

There are various 3rd party clipboard utilities, but I've always found the solution worse than the problem. So far, anyway.

Guest backbaygayguy

I don't know a keyboard trick, but I use a variation of what deej said. If you want to keep the format, paste into a Word file or e-mail (if you use Word as your editor) -- but don't save the file or e-mail, just copy from it and then delete it. Depending on various, you might keep an active link URL or lose it in the paste -- individual settings and systems make a different, I think.

>I think that's exactly what I was asking for! (Although I

>had in mind it working across apps; but even if it works just

>within Firefox that's 60% of my headache gone.)

Hope it works for you.

>Thanks, PWIT. (What's that stand for, anyway?)

Ummm....it's in my profile. ;)

Archived