THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Photo Hosting Site Suggestion

ArVaGuy
This topic is 6272 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am looking for a new hosting site for web photos and would appreciate any suggestions. Currently, I am using Photobucket but after this latest issue I am ready to make a change.

I had a photo of Michelangelo’s David hosted on their site and it was removed as "inappropriate" due to male nudity. Granted, The David is a male nude but it's a major Renaissance work of art and considered to be Buonarroti's greatest sculpture.

It would be one thing if this was a photo of some nude guy but come on; I find this a bit absurd. Sure I am clear on their TOS but this just sticks in my craw.

So, anyone out there with suggestions on sites that won't get worked up over Renaissance artwork?

Welcome to the weirding world of relying on free hosting services. They can, and will, decide they don't like you (or your content) at any time that is convenient to them. You can complain, but they have the upper hand.

If you want hosting that you have any control over, register a domain and pay to have it hosted.

Simple hosting at godaddy.com runs something like $4/month (after domain registration). There are a million options out there for this. (I mention godaddy only because they are reputable and reliable. Others are as well.)

If you want to end hosting surprises, take control over it. Otherwise, you're forever on the treadmill of this week's "great" free service that isn't so great six months down the line.

Is it worth $4 a month to get out of the constant hassle of moving from one place to another? That's an individual decision only you can make.

I think godaddy.com is a very cost effective service, and

peruaded a community music organization to use it for their

website.

That being said, if you read through their terms of service,

they can close down a site for objectionable content.

• 4 weeks later...

Another advantage to using godaddy.com is they're a tier-1 registrar.

I seem to see horror stories every week about people using cheaper/smaller lower level registrar/hosting companies and the when the provider goes tits up they play hell getting their own site and domain back. You're unlikely to have that problem with GoDaddy.

Archived