THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Why will I regret purchasing a Macbookpro?

Rod Hagen
This topic is 6838 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

4 years ago this last October I spent $4000 on the first G4 powerbook. That next January Powerbook a "new version" of G4 powerbooks rolled out at 1/2 the price of mine and boasting a super drive, DVD-R/Cd-R, which my three-month old computer did not have (still doesn't. Let me repeat, I cannot burn regular Cds, much less DVDs, on my $4000 computer). I've regretted the lost $2000 ever since, but have been more seriously inconvenienced over the last 4 years by not having the superdrive they said, at the time, could never be implanted. Turns out never was only three months long. Fuckers.

If I ditch that now dithering and dottering dino for a MacBookPro what will be my biggest regret, and how soon after it arrives in February will the regret set in? What's on the visible horizon, in other words?

If the potential pitfalls don't seem so large, and I end up buying one ('bout time) what's the significant difference b/w buying the $2000 version with $200 more going into improved 1G memory (rather than standard 512mb), for a total of $2200 (plus $350 for AppleCare--the best!!--of course) as opposed to the slightly faster, more memory, but also better graphics capabitlity $2500 version? How appreciably faster is 1.8 Ghz over 1.67 Ghz?

Welcome to tech-world. When I bought my first IBM PC/XT in 1983 it cost the US Government something like $7,000 used. Within two years, the fuckers at IBM released the faster PC/AT for less money and with more features.

Here's the (secret) rule: every computer you buy has a timer on it. After three years it will be quite obsolete. It won't be able to handle features that you'd really like to have after 3 years of service.

A PC is worse than a car when it comes to depreciation! A PC is no longer capital. It's a consumable office supply like copier paper.

I can walk into Costco any day and buy a perfectly usable Windows notebook for under $1,000. (And it will have more RAM than that original XT had disk space.) Desktops are even more reasonable. My current desktop is an x64 box from Costco. Computer, 17" LCD screen, and all the fixings were about $900.

Prices are going to continue to drop. That's just a fact of life. You need to decide what you need to do *NOW* and get something that does that, whether Mac or Windows. If the machine you bought today doesn't do the latest hoo-hah tech-whiz thingie a year from now, well, you bought too soon (or you waited too long).

There's no crystal ball that will help you.

You can't buy a computer for tomorrow's need. You have to buy for today's need. If you need a computer now, buy a computer now.

Deej, thank you and I understand. Generally it's a bad idea to buy the first generation of anything (windows '95 v. 1 ring bells?). Last time I did so, buying the G4 powerbook, I learned why. So, because once burnt, I'm understandbly edgy. I do need a new computer and I do love this one.

What's the noticeable difference b/w 1.67 ghz and 1.8ghz?

I think the biggest issue for the MacBook Pro will be software compatibility. It's the first Mac to move to the new Intel processor, and includes Rosetta software that will translate "most" of your existing software to run on the Intel processor. The trick will be figuring out which of your software will translate, and which will need to be upgraded to the "Universal" version that will run on both PowerPC- and Intel-based systems. If you're planning to buy all new software, or just use what comes with the MacBook Pro, you'll be fine. Here's a link to the Apple page explaining all this: http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

One option you might consider is getting one of the current PowerBook G4 models. It won't be as fast as the dual-core Intel MacBook Pro, and you'll miss out on the built-in camera and the remote control; but you'll avoid any software compatibility issues. My Powerbook G4 is about eight months old; but it's got a 1.67ghz processor, 1gb of memory, and a 100gb hard drive, and is plenty fast.

Whatever you do, get at least 1gb of memory. I'd also recommend a 100gb hard drive, or larger. That will let you work with large video files, and help keep your system useful longer.

As Deej said, there will always be something better or cheaper a few months down the road, but I think trading in your four-year-old system for one of today's models should keep you happy for quite a while. Best wishes!

Glad someone who knows the Mac product line chimed in!

I hadn't heard about Rosetta. It sounds worrisome to me. You gotta love the marketing chutzpah on that page, though. They say "most applications will work", and then continue on to say their own apps won't but upgrades will be available shortly. LOL

Archived