THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Start up problem~~

Samai139
This topic is 6916 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Help!!! Please don't "sneer" at me when I post this?? I still use Windows 98 and since I'm retired, don't really want or need to upgrade, so if anyone could help me, I'd be very, very grateful.

When I turn my computer on I get a message which says that, in brief,

a file needed to run Windows or some of its devices is missing---either been deleted deliberately or somehow. I don't think I have deleted any files, but my SpyDoctor program might have??? At any rate, the problem is involved with SYSTEM.INI program, and then I get this: C;\PROGRA~1AVEO\MegaPhon\Portshar.vxd

I have no idea how to reinstall whatever has been deleted. When I did some investigating about reinstallying stuff, I was told, by my Owner's Manual that I needed a System Restoration CD. I looked in the materials that came with the computer--didn't see one. Can these be purchased at any computer store? Is there a "fix" I could get on line somewhere? RIght now the speed and jerkiness of this thing are driving me nuts.

Thanks for any and all help. Please send replies to my private e-mail address.

Buzz

Restore CDs are typically customized to the PC (and video card, sound card, etc.) so you really need to get it from the maker of your PC. Many vendors will have them on their websites, or call your vendor. Many only charge shipping & handling, if they have them. Windows 98 is old enough you may be out of luck. :-(

Another thing to check for is a "recover partition" on your hard disk. Some vendors include them. Again, call the maker. You might be OK if you purchase a retail copy of Win98 (if you can find one) and install that.

Either way, you will lose all files so make sure you have good backups of anything important.

This actually sounds more like a virus than spyware. Once you've recovered make sure your virus protection is current, and update it regularly.

The problem with making something foolproof is the universe keeps making better fools.

Archived