THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Any new "Tiger" users out there?

BuckyXTC
This topic is 7006 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Apple Computer released its new operating system, code named "Tiger" yesterday. I installed it last night, and everything has worked flawlessly. One of the new key features, "Spotlight" is a very powerful search engine that will blows away anything I've seen to date. Just to give you an example, imagine that you have a scanned image of a map of Oklahoma. If you do a search on a city name like Tulsa, Spotlight will "see" that word in that image file and list the file for access, as well as every other file that contains "Tulsa". It also categories every file searched for by file category. To top it all off, it is lightning fast.

Dashboard and Widgets are also pretty cool. Widgets are tiny applications that become accessible on your desktop through "Dashboard". You can bring them up or hide them with a single stroke. There are many widgets available on the internet for adding to your collection, that include dictionary and thesaurus, weather with five day outlook, Fedex Package Tracker, Joke of the Day, Calendar, address book, Yahoo Local Traffic Reports, and many, many more.

With most major software upgrades, I've usually lost an application or two to compatibility issues, but not this time. The new version of Safari, Apple's web browser, is much faster in loading, and now has RSS feed capability as well.

Over 200 new features in this upgrade, and no, I don't work for Apple. I'm just a very happy Mac user.

If you have a G3 through G5 Mac, don't hesitate to take the plunge with this upgrade. It's a keeper.

Any other new "Tiger" users out there?

I love it. Installation was remarkably easy. And, as an added bonus, with educational discount, I only paid half-price.

I use Camino instead of Safari, but I'm going to fire it up & check things out.

I switched over to a PC laptop for a while to see if Spotlight will index faster. That's the only even slightly negative thing: since it is so thorough, it takes a long time (a few hours) to fully index.

With six drives, mine probably took all night last night to index. I really like Spotlight. Amazing how easy it is to find things now. It's also given me a clue as to a few things I lost when a drive failed a few months back.

Glad you got the student discount. I've been very fortunate to beta test a lot of major products, hence I've gotten a scad of free software that would have cost a bundle otherwise.

Too bad the moderators moved this....I thought the Lounge was for discussing anything but politics, religion or war. Oh, well.............

Haven't switched to "Tiger" yet, but I've become a big fan of OS X. It's SO great having such a rock-solid stable system. It NEVER crashes, and if an application freezes all you have to do is close and re-open it, instead of having to shut everything down and reboot! That's a huge improvement over the old operating system, which was easy to use but hardly a model of stability. Looking forward to upgrading soon, though.

I've been burnt a few times by installing just-out software. But so far, it sounds as if Tiger is one smooth kitty! I dropped in my local Apple store just before midnight last night and I have to say I really like Spotlight and Dashboard. It will be on my machines within a week or so.

My old 500 Mhz Powerbook recently died on the last day of it's AppleCare Extended Warranty. Apple offered to replace it with a 1.5 Mhz model for free, but for only $300 more I got the 1.67 Mhz model with the SuperDrive! I can hardly wait to run Tiger on it.

>My old 500 Mhz Powerbook recently died on the last day of it's

>AppleCare Extended Warranty. Apple offered to replace it with

>a 1.5 Mhz model for free, but for only $300 more I got the

>1.67 Mhz model with the SuperDrive! I can hardly wait to run

>Tiger on it.

I'm assuming the speed is actually in Gigahertz and not "Megahertz". If that's the case, you've got plenty of speed for Tiger.

>I'm assuming the speed is actually in Gigahertz and not

>"Megahertz". If that's the case, you've got plenty of speed

>for Tiger.

You're right, of course! Just a couple of ours before I wrote that, my BF and I had our very first fight after 1 1/2 years of dating and I guess my mind was still deep in resentments! I obviously wasn 't thinking about what I was writing.

RE: 8086

That should probably be "quick" instead of quick. ;-)

It's kind of amazing to look back. I just bought a tablet PC that has more RAM than any disk drive I could have bought back then.

And they still take too long to boot. ROFL

Archived