THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

DUMB WINDOWS QUESTION

trilingual
This topic is 7206 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Being a Mac person, Windows is something of a mystery to me. I've got some middle-aged Windows software (like graphic programs) that work with Windows 95/98/NT. Will there be any problem installing/operating them on my boyfriend's computer, which has Windows XP? Thanks for any guidance!

Tri,

You shouldn't run into any major problems running that software on Windows XP.

If the programs are still made, you might check the manufacturer's web site first and see if they have any free updates available especially for Windows XP.

The latest service pack for Windows XP does cause some programs (especially if they access the Internet) to fail, but it seems unlikely that your graphics programs would be effected.

...Hoover

Hey not dumb at all! I like all others used to have WIN95 ofcourse over the years I have upgraded to XP.

Some software will be incompatable as alllot of software makers often make new software and stop updating the old one. If your program used DOS you might have a problem, even though XP can use DOS. I prefer to buy new software all said and done due to less troubble.

My sugjestion try to install the software and see how it goes if it is having some serious problems then pitch it, its not work spending hours tinkering on a peice of software that you can go buy a new one in 20min.

>The latest service pack for Windows XP does cause some

>programs (especially if they access the Internet) to fail, but

>it seems unlikely that your graphics programs would be

>effected.

I downloaded the new Windows XP Service Pack #2. The only problem I see it makes my Norton AntiVirus run a lot longer. Before it took 15 to 20 mins. now it take's about 45 mins. to scan, ever since I downloaded Service Pack #2. The one good thing I like about the service pack is that it gives you a firewall and now I have no problems with any spyware since it seems the firewall stops it.

When in doubt I whip it out :+

>The latest service pack for Windows XP does cause some

>programs (especially if they access the Internet) to fail, but

>it seems unlikely that your graphics programs would be

>effected.

Actually, I'd expect graphics programs to be MORE likely to be affected. Graphics apps often play fast & loose with memory in order to tweak just a hair more performance out of whatever machine they're running on. SP2 clamps down EXACTLY on playing fast & loose with memory.

Also, a graphics app *MAY* fun afowl of the recent GDI+ security update, although if the app is old enough to pre-date XP it probably uses plain GDI.

Bottom line: try it and see.

A lot of this is just stuff like clip-art with some browsers to find stuff on the CD-ROMs. I hate to throw it away because some of the artwork is good! And there's quite a lot of it! The clipart will be useful to the BF, because he's a teacher and can use it to prepare lesson materials. Oh, well, I guess we'll just have to try it and see how it works on his machine. We can always get a more up-to-date graphics program, I suppose (like the latest Corel) and just use the clipart in that. . .

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

The software that comes with most clipart collections is basically for viewing. The art itself is often just normal jpg files on the CD that you can even use Windows Explorer to copy elsewhere, and any web browser to view. (It's a trick they use to make you *think* you have to use *their* software -- AOL has done it for years.)

Sure some clipart is in proprietary format and needs its own software, and that could be hosed. But buying Corel won't help if that's the case.

Archived