THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

XP Update

catnip
This topic is 7209 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's well past time to update my home PC from Windows 98 to XP. I think I only need the home version. I haven't done an update before and am not very knowledgable about computers, so I just wanted to get some feedback. There are lots of XP Home updates for sale on ebay, and there's also a guy who sells a CD for about $10 that guides you through the process. Before I go ahead and try this, does anyone with some hindsight recommend another way, like hiring a technician to do it, buy the update direct from Microsoft or get it from a retailer like Amazon? Thanks in advance for any help.

>It's well past time to update my home PC from Windows 98 to

>XP. I think I only need the home version. I haven't done an

>update before and am not very knowledgable about computers, so

>I just wanted to get some feedback. There are lots of XP Home

>updates for sale on ebay, and there's also a guy who sells a

>CD for about $10 that guides you through the process. Before I

>go ahead and try this, does anyone with some hindsight

>recommend another way, like hiring a technician to do it, buy

>the update direct from Microsoft or get it from a retailer

>like Amazon? Thanks in advance for any help.

I've been around computers and computing for ages. But, when I get ready to do anything complex these days, I hire someone to take care of it for me. There are people advertising in one of the local gay pubs that do upgrades, maintenance and PC checkups. The prices are not outrageous (at least here) and the people doing the work are competent.

The guy I hire (Art) is smart, has tons of experience, knows his stuff and has a ton of happy customers. Before hiring anyone, I do suggest you check a couple of their references.

Projects like this usually take experts only an hour or two. (Or, they'll give you a project based fee if it is bigger.) I find I have a lot of peace of mind having someone do it that has some specific training on the ins and outs of the latest from Microsoft. Art, my expert, backs everything up on to a DVD first, then goes to work. In a typical year, I see Art once or twice. Art is also great on training me to do things like delete crap from the disc that accumulates up and so on.

Never thought I'd ever be advising someone to do this, much less doing it myself. But, computers are to important and to complicated to leave much to chance.

--EBG

Archived