THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

What's this new spam crap???

Trixie
This topic is 7483 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The past two days my e-mail address has been flooded with "Delivery Failure" messages of all kinds, suggesting that messages I'd sent did not reach their intended recipients. Nonsense! None of those messages were actualy from me. I can only guess that this is some sort of new spam technique, but I can't imagine what it's leading to.

Anyone have a notion what this is all about?

Trix

I've had this happen too with one of my hotmail accounts. In every instance, the failure-to-deliver has originated with AOL. I suspect this is part of their anti-spam tactics.

The only other thing I suspect is that a real spammer is sending things out using your e-mail addy in the "reply to" field.

Sounds like one of the "SoBig" viruses that were running rampant a couple of months back. Update your virus protection software, and if you don't have any, get some soon! If you use MS Outlook, you might want to consider using a more secure program. Outlook is notorious for being the target of these viruses. Also, check your Microsoft Security Updates. These updates close some of the security holes found in MS products.

RE: Viruses

It serves a number of purposes for the spammer:

- It avoids any filters that have been set up to block the spammer's own address,

- The origin of the spammer is concealed,

- Any rejection letters or complaints get sent to some victim, not the spammer, and

- For those spam messages that don't get rejected, the original victim thinks the spam is from someone they know (you!) so they are more likely to read it (or worse, run any attached virus program).

Did I tell you I think spammers are evil? x( :-)

...Hoover

Archived