THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Post-coup Thailand

Richard
This topic is 6554 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am planning a Christmas-New Year's trip to Thailand. It has been two years since I have been there. From news accounts, things seems fairly stable in post-coup Thailand, but do we have any friends of Dorothy there who have been recently or who are there now? Is life different for gay visitors to Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, etc?

Thanks for your input.

I've also spoken with my Thai SO and the bar scene was back to normal the day after the coup. The new Bangkok airport is bigger news. There was a minor scare this week when there was a proposal to raise the minimum drinking age to 25, but that seems to have been set aside.

I was there during the coup. And yes, I would say that by the day afterwards things were returning to normal. Or at least normal for tourists. I think the civil liberties situation with regard to the rights to protest and free media is a bit of a concern. But the people in charge do seem to have the best interest of the country at heart. At least that's according to the self-censoring news reports anyhow. I think the people there are as happy to welcome tourists now as ever.

At the moment I think the biggest worry is all of the flooding. There are a lot of people's homes and fields underwater at the moment and things have been bad in various parts of the country since August. Everyone might want to take a minute to donate to the Thai Red Cross to help those folks out a bit.

In addition to the gaythailand.com forums you can keep up with the news at the Bangkok Post and The Nation websites.

Archived