THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Bird Flu

Lucky
This topic is 7210 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Several guys have posted about their upcoming trips and I wondered what you thought of the bird flu problem. Even though it is now limited, the possibility exists according to the experts that it could spread rapidly if it gets a foothold. There is even talk that it could lead to a global pandemic. Considering that many of the go-go guys are from villages where bird flu might be more common, am I overestimating the risk here? Thailand and Vietnam do seem to have the biggest number of cases.

Guest icon513

Three people out of 65 million die from bird flu, with only one suspected (not confirmed) so far of being a case of human-to-human transmission, and you're nervous about it? Yes, I'd say you're overly concerned.

The barboys tend to be from the Northeast (Udon, Ubon, & Khon Kaen are the most common)and to a lesser estent, the upper North. The cases have tended to be in the Central region, away from Bangkok. The most recent death was in Chiayaphum which is administartively considered to be in the NE, but is really a very sparsely settled province that borders the Central & Lower North and has some semi-difficult terrain in and around it which fosters isolation. If you're not worried about West Nile in the US (which has many more reported cases and a number of deaths), there's little reason to be concerned about the Bird flu. Keep away from chicken if you're really concerned. With all the great fish & seafood in Thailand, why bother anyway.

I plan to be in BKK in Nov/Dec and haven't changed my plans. I traveled at the tail end of SARS (for work); there was little to be concerned about then, either.

Archived