THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Frequent Flier Frustrattion

Lucky
This topic is 5736 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For four years in a row I was able to use 90,000 miles to get a business elite ticket to Rio, but for next year, the lowest available on Delta is 100,000 and guess what? That's never available. I checked all of July 2009 and not one single day has anything less that 200,000 miles.

Delta has an ad today in the NY Times advertising NY to GRU at less than $500 each way, but from where I live the RT fare is over $2000. Am I ever going to cross the threshold into Club 117 again? Only with a sore butt as coach is available...for 100,000 miles.

I am no FF guru. In fact, I thought they were bad for business when they started and would, one day, cause the airlines (and clients) a lot of grief. That day has been around for quite some time now.

Back to the point you raise. How about a cheap ticket to NY and then have a NY pizza or whatever cranks your tractor in NY for a day or so, then go to GRU with an upgrade ticket (after the $500 each way)? Not trying to spend your money but there are always different ways to get things done. Plus you get miles for ALL that travel or most of it.

You won't be wrong to wait and see what the economy brings in the way of deals and bargains. If no one travels, the prices must come down or the airlines perish.

Best regards,

KMEM

I may try that idea, KMEM. I do love New York and Rio. My first visit to Rio was from New York, and it was nonstop. I slept 7 of the 10 hours and thought that it was a spectacular way to go. Now I don't think one can fly nonstop to Rio. I'm sure I didn't pay more than $900 for that flight RT.

Archived