THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

It Gets Better!

Lucky
This topic is 6115 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Having just completed my 5th trip to Brazil, I was struck by how much less a dollar got than it used to. Exchange was 1.93 with the ATM costing $5.00 on each end. Even the subte fare has gone up!

But last year the boys all tried to get 100R from us, this year 50 to 70 was acceptable, so the dollar still bought good dick for the money!

We enjoyed ourselves as usual, but even more so as we knew the city better than before. 8 nights in Rio was my longest visit yet, but it still zipped right by.

We spent the weekend in Sao Paolo, but I would take Rio any day over SP, and Club 117 appeals to me far more than Lagoa.

Regrettably, the guide we enjoyed so much last year in Sao Paolo stood us up this year. Nary a note nor a phone call to let us know.

We managed to have a pretty good time anyway!

I have been fortunate enough to have traveled to Rio on five different occasions and to Sao Paulo four, and I am with Lucky, I definitely prefer to be in Rio when I am in Brasil. I find the city to be much more beautiful as well as navigable. And after being in this city on those previous occasions, I know my way around and feel comfortable in traveling alone as well outside of Copa.

Guest flamengo

You are using the wrong ATM/bank! Citibank DOES NOT charge their clients an ATM charge IF you use your Citibank card at a Citibank ATM. That applies both domestically and internationally. I have use a Citibank ATM card in Brazil and Argentina for the last five years and have never been charged. Citibank is well represented in both Brazil and Argentina. (I am not employed by Citibank.;) )

Guest Fisher

A Citibank ATM is located on Avenue Copacabana

just before Rua Figueiredo Magalhaes (one block past

Siqueira Campos - towards Ipanema - on the ocean side

of the street). You get better rates at the ATM then the

cambios and with a Citibank card there is no fee. While

you can use any card at the Citibank ATM - for a fee, you

need a Citibank card to open the door.

Tchau,

Fisher :-)

I've used this facility, and I DO NOT have a Citibank card. In fact, I have been using these services for almost five years now. The Cambio is a few doors down, and I have used its services, too. I can't remember the rates of either, but this thread is about fees and Citibank.

Guest Fisher

In 2006 I had no problem getting into the Citibank

ATM with any ATM card, but this past May a non-Citibank

card would not open the door (The ATM itself would take

any ATM card)A tourist couple from Argentina non-Citibank

ATM card would not let them in either. Also a non-Citibank

ATM card would not open the door at the large Citibank ATM

on Avenue Paulista in SP. Don't know if it was glich in the

system in May or change.

Fisher

Guest msclonly

I was just told by the Citi bank central, that there is a 3% conversion fee.

I will stick with WAMU No Interest checking acct ATM card which has a 1% fee and a $1.00 per transaction fee.

;(

Guest flamengo

A conversion fee is NOT the same as a transaction fee. There is NO transaction fee for using a Citibank ATM card at a Citibank ATM. The same is true of HSBC and their affiliates - there is NO fee if a HSBC ATM card is used at a HSBC affiliate. A CONVERSION FEE is charged by most credit card companies for CONVERTING reais to US$$$. While in Brazil and/or Argentina, I "live by" a Citibank ATM card and Chase Master Card. I am charged a 3% conversion fee by Chase but have never been levied a charge by Citibank FOR atm use. I had rather use a credit card than carry large amounts of cash or use the outdated travellers checks. At the end of the month, I have a ledger of every real spent. Add that to the atm withdrawals and I know exactly the cost of my trip. I leave for Brazil on August 31 for the sixth trip and I have NEVER had a problem with an invalid cc charge. I'll stick with my interest PAYING, noo-atm fee Citibank card and my Chase MC with it's 3% conversion fee!

I work for chase, on Top of the poor exchange rate, there is a 3% conversion fee, Wamu charges only 1%, depends on how much you take out it adds up in the long run. False credit card charges are real, it shouldn't bother you though, the bank eventually eats it thus the expensive conversion fee. I believe I read in a trade mag that HSBC offers the best rates and svcs without the fees for international travel.

As far as opening the door at Citibank, any 4 track credit or debit card with a mag stripe does it.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: It Gets Bitter!

Given that the replies here have focused on the exchanges, I might mention that things got worse in Argentina.

There my bank ATM card was limited to withdrawals not exceedings 320 pesos, or about $100 US. This didn't just mean more trips to the ATM, it was virtual robbery on the part of the banks, as they took their approximate cuts both from the exchange rates and ATM fees of about $5.00 US each.

At one point I accidentally hit 20 pesos instead of 320...the whole amount was taken in fees!

I have been told that this problem does not affect cards in the Cirrus network, where larger withdrawals are possible.

Guest msclonly

I am happy to report that I am opening a new Acct that will cost me only 1% for ATM withdrawals in Foreign countries, and any and all fees will be credited back to my account immediately, while earning 3.5% interest on any amount.

So the local bank will lose out on my No Interest Checking Account, when I close it down. They only charge a !% fee + $1.00 per transaction at foreign ATMs and pay no interest. I consider the no interest as 'greed' just like the Interest Checking account paying like 0.31%, when there is a large balace in it. Might just have to close this one down as well, since the new account will have autopay bills, also. :-)

Men, could a SEPARATE thead be started regarding the ever-changing Xchange rate as it exists today in South America and especially in Brazil.

I believe our fellow cyberfriend began his thread with the title "It Gets Better!" Now from all of the comments (which are indeed valid) regarding the falling, falling dollar-- make it another and separate thread.

If you continue here, perhaps you can channel your comments about how your experiences (other than financial) get better and become the best in world travel!! :-)

Lucky, I now see that you'd changed your initial title from "...It Gets Better" now to "It Gets Bitter!" So I guess I'll have to retract my last post before this one!

We all hope that the dollar will be on the rise soon! But, if it isn't, we just have to bask in the past and adapt (as well as possible) to the present as well as the future! :-)

• 1 month later...
Guest flamengo

The Citibank plot thickens - I am in Rio now and have been since September 1. I have lived off of my Citibank account and their ATM´s. There is still no charge for using their card at their location. However, stay away from the Copacabana location - especially at night after 10:00. I didn´t and I was confronted by a homeless man while inside the ATM room. This was at 11:05. At first the man stayed outside. When I felt threatned, I looked for the security guard usually on duty. Noone was around even though a radio or CD was blaring. I beat on the window between the guard location and the ATM room. Still nothing. When the homeless man saw that noone was around, he came into the ATM room. By this time I was finished with my transaction and was determined to leave without giving him money and to leave with my life. I ran out of the room. As he chased me down Avenida Nossa Senhora de Copa, I saw a bus and was lucky to stop the bus. I didn´t know or care it´s destination since there were no taxis or police around. I did get away from the homeless man - he even tried to get on the bus. 1.5 hours later, I ended up at the end of the line and had absolutely no idea where I was. The bus driver and money-taker were no help. I got off the bus in a dimly lit area and finally found a taxi. Thirty reais later, I was back at my apartment five blocks from the bank. It was 1:45AM.

The next morning I went to the Copacabana branch office and met with Tharsis Alvarenga, who was introduced to me as the branch manager. I went in with NO attitude. I just wanted to know what was going to be done about ATM security. He told me NOTHING was going to be done because there was not a problem and that I should have called the police. He said Citibank had NO problem with security even though THE CARD READER DID NOT WORK - anyone could open the door simply by pushing/pulling it. The security guard finished work at 10PM. Then, as far as security is concerned, everyone can take care of themselves - period, case closed. He did not want to talk anymore. He simply did not care. This was Friday morning, Sept. 28.

I steamed over the weekend and on Monday morning, October 1, I visited the Ipanema branch of Citibank. I met a young man named Daniel Saddy and told him I wanted to know what the ATM security was at their branch. He took me to teir branch manager, Refael Fossati, who spoke no English so Daniel served as interpter. I explained the problem to Daniel, and, he in turn to Rafael. Rafael made a phone call immediately. While Rafael was on the phone, Daniel explained the Citibank protocol when there was/is a complaint. If the complaint is by a Brasilian client, the Citibank branch manager is required to file a complaint report by e-mail. If it is a foreign customer who makes the complaint, then the manager is required to make a report by phone (which Rafael had started) and follow-up by e-mail. The branch manager had not done this, which was confirmed by Rafael because there was no report on file. It took Rafael approximately 30 minutes to complete his phone report. It was discovered the the branch manager at Copacabana had several reports filed against him - the same as my complaint. There also had been security complaints against the branch. My complaint must have tipped the scales because, now, the manager in Copacabana would be required to file an extensive written report answering all the charges against him and the action to be taken to correct the complaints. Regardless, the card scanner was to be repaired immediately. The bank would also consider reinstating 24 hour security guard. The fate of the branch manager would be discussed by bank management in Sao Paulo.

I was assured (and, now, I believe) that Citibank gives client security the utmost importance.

Daniel told me to call or stop by the bank in 2-3 days and he would have a report for me. Yesterday, I stopped by and he told me that the branch manager in Copacabana has been informed of the charges against him and that he must respond in writing. The scanner will be repaired. No decision on the 24 hour guard. Daniel did confirm that ANY card with a magnetic strip will open a door with a scanner. What homeless man will have such card?

I was pleased with the response I received from Citibank in Ipanema. I would like nothing better than to see Tharsis with a blanket wrapped around his shoulders and his out for a few reais! Thank God I´m alive to follow up and to write this long, boring post.

Citibank on the Avenida Florida in Buenos Aires is not a good place to try to get cash out of an ATM. I went there several years ago to withdraw money so I could attend the antique flea market in San Telmo. I discovered that 400 pesos of the 500 pesos I received from the ATM (I think it was about $120 U.S at the time) were counterfeit. Armed with my receipt, I went to the Citibank the next day andd asked to see the manager. I was told he was busy. They asked me what I wanted. I explained the story to a young and arrogant young man. He told me that was impossible and there was nothing he could do for me. He then asked me to leave the bank! I was stunned. Here is a branch of an American bank basically telling me I was making all this up. I went back to my hotel and explained to the manager. She immediately called the police. Two young officers came to the hotel and I explained again, what happened. I showed them the money and they indeed confirmed it was counterfeit. They asked me to file a report, which I did. They also took me back to my hotel. They were courteous, sympathetic and friendly. They also urged me to return to the bank and insist on seeing a manager. Since it was my last day in Buenos Aires, I didn't want to spoil it with any further arguments.

I wrote to a senior vice president about my experience when I returned home. I never got a response. I year later, I took action as a consumer. I went into my branch of Chase and asked if I could re-finance my mortgage with them. They were delighted to do so and made the whole process far more easy and less complicated than my original dealings with Citibank. When a Citibank customer service rep called me to find out why I wasn't re-financing with them? I replied I don't do business with a bank that treats their customers in a hostile, negative way and told him the story. I now avoid doing business with Citibank.

Guest ihpguy

Ctibank Securty

I very rarely get to Copacabana. I usually end up at the Citibank branch on the Largo do Carioca in Centro. I can state that the sliding door is always locked at night and on weekends. And my credit cards will not open the locked sliding security door. The only one that will open it for me is my AAdvantage Citibank card. None other of mine will work on it. I am not a client of the bank, so do not know of the other issues. It sure sounds to me like the branch manager is not doing his job. The Centro branch has always been locked on weekends and holidays.

Archived