THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Thinking about a trip to Rio de Janiero

SundayZip
This topic is 6740 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm doing some serious thinking about a trip to Rio de Janiero. As you can probably guess, I'm interested in the saunas and rent boys. I'm also interested in other touristy things -- things like walking, restaurants, and whatever the city has to offer. But I have a couple questions before I decide to go, and when to go.

How much will language be a barrier with the rental boys? I used to speak a bit of Spanish - maybe enough to order in a restaurant or give sketchy directions to a cab driver. Not much more. I've heard that some of the rent boys know Spanish, if not English, or that there is enough similarity between Spanish and Portuguese to get by.

When is the best time to go? I'm not interested in Carnival crowds and competing for hotel rooms and restaurant tables. Should I schedule for before Carnival or wait until its all over?

How does Rio compare to Montreal for selection and access to rental boys? Compare, lets say, the number, quality and availability of rent boys at the Rio saunas to strip club dancers in Montreal...

Thanks!

Leo

Hi Leo,I am going for the first trip to Rio in March,after Carnival and before Easter which is another big time in Rio.

Check out gaytravelbrazil.com for in depth info.

From what I have heard from hoovillians who have been to both places that it is an apples/oranges thing between Montreal(wher I have had much fun over the last few years)and Rio.

Some basic portugese(the language used most widely in Rio)is very helpful when navigating the scene in Rio-I have been using Pimsleurs brazilian potugese 1-it is cheap and will give you a footing in the language.

Welcome to the club. My interests in Brasil became whetted some five years ago after reading Trilingual's enticing (first) reviews of the sauna scene. Since that time I have been to various parts of Brasil five times since October of 2002.

My advice to you is to read everything that is on the site to which Biguy...mentioned; also read the information that is available in the archives at this site. I did the latter before going, and it helped tremendously.

I'd also suggest that you go during low season; the prices are great at this time, plus many of the venues are less crowded; I've gone during Carnaval, too, but prefer October- November for price, weather, etc.

I do not speak Spanish or Brsilian Portuguese (which would have helped greatly) but managed to satisfy my needs which going to the saunas in Rio as well as in Sao Paulo and Caritiba (sp).

After you do your reading of the material that is available to you at these two sites; purchase the language kit (also mentioned) and buy some excellent guide books to acquaint yourself with the cultural and historical attributes that Brasil affords one. You might desire to hire a guide to accompany you during the day for culture, too. There are recommendations at both sites. (I ventured to the saunas by myself and got along just fine after reading the hows and whats here as well as at GBT.com.)

RE: Thinking about a trip to Rio De Janeiro

First,

You're gonna have a great time whenever you go.

I am with Axiom however, I prefer our fall (October-November) which is their spring. The prices for housing are lower, there's room in the city, and most important, there aren't as many customers at the saunas, so you get a great selection and a lot of attention from the guys.

This site has a wealth of information carefully detailed and catalogued by Trilingual and others. At the time of my first trip, this was the only site that had this kind of information. Now there is the site started by Drey and Tri that has a more interactive assortment of offerings including travel assistance for reservations.

As for language, yes some rudimentary Spanish will help, Portuguese is very similar in some ways. I also recommend the Pimsleur, it's easy and you'll get enough of the basics.

Getting around the city is fairly uncomplicated and if you are lucky enough to meet a cab driver who speaks English (which is how I met Deyves on my first trip), you can probably arrange day trips to other areas of interest like Niteroi, Barra, and Petropolis. I recommend a visit to all of them.

Thanks guys for the good advice.

I spent some time reading through the postings on this site and am now leaning toward the October-November time frame. March, after Carnival and before Easter seems VERY appealing because, once I decide to go, I want to go soon. On the other hand, I'd love to skip town over the Thanksgiving Holiday -- too many years of hosting extended family and putting on the big dinner. What a treat to leave them all behind and go play in Rio!

Maybe I'll do a Feb or March long weekend in Miami, Ft Lauderdale, SF, NTC, or even Montreal in the dead of winter (huh?) -- Something to temporatily satisfy my wanderlust.

You guys are the best...

Leo

The first time I was in Rio was at the end of March, the weather was still warm, we did have some overcast days. I just returned a week ago and we had 5 sunny warm , cloudless days. I had friends that were in Rio a week before me and they had several days of rain so its just fate.

I personally do not like crowds and have no interest in seeing other Americans especially from New York during the big celebrations like Carnival and the Christmas holidays. If I wanted that scene I would travel to South Beach.

The mixing of African slaves and European settlers over 500 years has resulted in the most striking Brazilian men and women in different shades of colors and features. I'm still amazed by their physical features.

It is not fair to compare the boys from Montreal to Rio. Its like apples and oranges. Do remember when you are there we are a guest in their country and should treat everyone with respect and kindness.

Archived