THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Hotel Sol Ipanema vs Atlantico

asdsrfr
This topic is 6777 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dreynsol

RE: Ipanema

For a seaview deluxe room at the Ipanema Plaza for two people, that's about right.

For a standard room for one person, it goes for around US$ 145 + tax.

The rates are pretty consistent all year round except for New Year's Eve and Carnaval. And of course, like many hotels, very dependent upon the value the dollar.

Tchau,

- Drey

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at the Sol Ipanema for 6 days in mid-November. I am quite ambivalent about the hotel, though I do not believe I would stay there when I make another trip to Rio.

For me, Ipanema was definitely the right area. I would not have enjoyed staying in Copacabana. Personal tastes only, since lots of guys enjoy Copa.

The Sol Ipanema was still under remodelling when I was there; the pool was closed and the hotel fascia was enclosed in a protective sheeting while repair work was ongoing. Thus, my Ipanema beach view was obscured. None of this, by the way, was disclosed on the Best Western website (Sol Ipanema is a franchisee of Best Western); in fairness, the agency I used (Carlo's Gay Travel Americas) did mention that the hotel's fascia was undergoing work, but I didn't appreciate the extent of the work.

I thought the room was basic and very charmless. They certainly haven't spent any money on improving their room product. The room had no personality, no color, no paintings, just a very basic room.

I had very little trouble bringing guests to the room. I would characterize their policy as lenient.

All that said, the semi-obscured view of Ipanema Beach from my room was incredible. And, of course, shortly it will be an unobscured view. Posto 9 was easily seen from my room and the gay beach was immediately adjacent.

I thought the hotel employees were uniformly cheerful and helpful and never seemed to tire answering the tourist questions.

Conclusion: an acceptable experience, but I would likely not stay there again. I would definitely try the Ipanema Plaza.

I just completed my stay at the Sol Ipanema--thanks for all the comments here.

The remodelling is still going on and the pool area is closed. The protective sheeting has been removed, and the view is really specdtacular from the oceanfront rooms. On the downside, if you are a late sleeper, pounding and drilling-sometimes quite loud start at about 10:00. I would guess that the noise will continue for a few more weeks.

Much to my surprise--on my first night in Rio I ended up meeting someone at LeBoy who I ended up spending the week with. He was very sweet and we hit it off pretty well.

He stayed at the hotel for 4 nights with me. Sometimes he just walked by the reception during the day with me and right up to the room. At other times he was required to register. It sort of depended on who was at the desk. A few other times one of his good friends came up to the room as well to freshen up before we all headed out for dinner or LeBoy. Again this wasn't a problem, though the front desk clerk said that only one guest was allowed at a time, though he would let it slide. Both of these guys were vouched for by other Americans down there at the time and I felt safe taking them to the room.

At the end of my stay, I noted charges of 35 reals/day on my bill for the extra guests. Sometimes multiple charges on the same day. None of this was explained in advance, and they ended up removing some of the extra charges. I think if I had booked a double room in advance and registered my friend--then this wouldn't have been a problem. Next time that is how I would handle it.

Other than the construction the hotel seemed fine. I only made it to breakfast one of the days and it was very good.

You are exactly right about the Sol Ipanema's additional charges for double occupancy. I made the reservation for double occupancy and the rate was 35 Reals more per night than the single rate. None of the front desk clerks hassled me about having guests in the room, other than the registration process. At check-out I noticed two additional 35 Reals charges. When I inquired, those were swiftly removed. So it may have been less expensive for you to have registered as double occupancy.

• 2 weeks later...

Sheraton Rio

I'm not a regular visitor to Rio but I'd be very wary about staying at the Sheraton.

Yes, it's right on the beach but there's a good reason its room-rates are cheaper. It has a favela right behind it - and a couple of months ago, there was a gang/drug dispute raging with bullets flying across the street and, with road closures, this restricted access to the hotel.

I think it's easier and more fun to stay in Ipanema.

Hotels in Rio are like everywhere else in the world. You get what you pay for. I've stayed at the Sol and Plaza, been in the Sheraton, but never stayed there.

The Plaze is at least 1 1/2 stars better than the Sheraton. The Sol is at least 1 star beter than the Sheraton.

If you're on a tight budget or are just a born hold onto every penny type, the Sheraton will be OK.

For me I'd rather cut back on some spending at home and enjoy a

better quality ( and location) hotel while traveling. To each his own.

Archived