THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Hmmm so no go on beef from Brazil?

bigguyinpasadena
This topic is 6795 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hmm. Now that you mention it, beef from Brazil to Argentina DOES sound like coals to Newcastle! Beef to Chile is another story, as Chile doesn't have the same kind of agricultural land that's good for large scale cattle raising (Brazil has the world's largest herd, now).

The hoof-and-mouth outbreak is limited, so far, to one area in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, which has been quarantined. Cattle are raised in many other regions of Brazil, which is a country larger than the U.S. (without Alaska and Hawaii). So the whole country isn't affected, by any means.

Hmm. Now that you mention it, beef from Brazil to Argentina DOES sound like coals to Newcastle! Beef to Chile is another story, as Chile doesn't have the same kind of agricultural land that's good for large scale cattle raising (Brazil has the world's largest herd, now).

The hoof-and-mouth outbreak is limited, so far, to one area in the state of Mato Grosso do Sul, which has been quarantined. Cattle are raised in many other regions of Brazil, which is a country larger than the U.S. (without Alaska and Hawaii). So the whole country isn't affected, by any means.

Guest msclonly

Beef from Brazil?

I am not a big beef or steak eater.

But I did enjoy the early bird special at 7:30 PM in Buenos Aires, this Spring. They had a large 'beefsteak', that looked like a New York cut to me for $7.00, that included a glass of Argentina white wine, fries or a large green chef salad in my case, and a slice of a most declicious light ricotta cheese cake.

The beefsteak was LEAN and juicey and very tasty. Good enough to go back nitely. I would also have the early bird special with a large chicken breast filet on occasion for an alternative choice.

I sure do miss these healthy meals.

:+

Time to plan a return visit!

Guest msclonly

Beef from Brazil?

I am not a big beef or steak eater.

But I did enjoy the early bird special at 7:30 PM in Buenos Aires, this Spring. They had a large 'beefsteak', that looked like a New York cut to me for $7.00, that included a glass of Argentina white wine, fries or a large green chef salad in my case, and a slice of a most declicious light ricotta cheese cake.

The beefsteak was LEAN and juicey and very tasty. Good enough to go back nitely. I would also have the early bird special with a large chicken breast filet on occasion for an alternative choice.

I sure do miss these healthy meals.

Time to plan a return visit!

• 1 month later...

RE: Beef from Brazil?

BigGuy admits he's full of shit:

bigguyinpasadena Sun Oct-30-05 10:41 AM

Member since Nov 03rd 2002

1694 posts

#92905, "RE: National Public Radio"

In response to Reply # 59

As you can't possibly be as dim as you are coming off in this post I would hope you can see in my post(and repost) above the reason of the withdrawel of the apology which was too hastily granted and after further reflection withdrawn.

I was premature in granting an apology to your fact finding skills.Upon examination of the evidenc provided I felt that you had not provided any evidence to back up your initial accusation.Thus I withdrew the apology with the offer of reinstatement once viable evidence was presented.

This be the way was no "concession"by any use if the term.

Still awaiting either the evidence or the apology,,,,waiting,,,waiting,,,waiting,,,,

BigGuyInPasadena

"We are all in the gutter-but some of us are looking at the stars"

O.Wilde

Just like Al Gore, BigGuy giveth, and then taketh away!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Guest msclonly

RE: Beef from Argentina

Florida Grill on the mall.

Simon explained to me this Saturday before the Musclemania, Brazil has oxen or Buffalo rather then the cattle, that Argentina has for their share of fine steaks. Tender and sweet. More European then Brazil in nature, that figures.

The Argentine while wine was much better then anything I get in California.

Brazil's meat mainly comes from cattle, not oxen. I think there's some confusion because the word used in Portuguese can mean either cattle or oxen.

Being a tropical country, much of Brazil's herd consists of hybrid breeds like the Nelore, which includes a cross with the kind of humped cows found in India. The Zebu cattle seen in Florida are a similar breed. The hump, by the way, is edible! In Brazil the cut is called "cupim" and it can be delicious! It's a bit like brisket. Argentina's herd includes more European/North American breeds.

Brazil has the world's largest cattle herd and beef exports are one of its biggest industries. The occasional outbreaks of foot-and-mouth disease are serious problems for the economy. As much as the authorities try to control the situation, Brazil's proximity to countries like Paraguay (which has frequent outbreaks) makes it very difficult to eradicate the disease permanently. Fortunately, the disease doesn't affect humans (or only in very rare circumstances) and the recent outbreaks are actually quite small and isolated. It's comparable in scale to there being a couple of infected herds in one or two counties in the entire United States. The rest of the herd is healthy. (There's a vaccine for the disease, and a large part of the Brazilian herd has been vaccinated.)

Argentina has also faced foot-and-mouth outbreaks in recent years. But beef in both countries can be delicious. I would agree that the overall quality of Argentine beef is higher than Brazil's, but there is lots of very fine beef to be had in Brazil, too. In Brazil, the very best is usually not served at rodízio restaurants. Instead, you'll find it at the best non-rodízio churrascarias, which are a-la-carte steak houses. Try the "baby beef" cut!

Maybe this is obvious, but people should be aware that hoof and mouth disease is not transmittable from cattle to humans. The danger is to herds in the other country, which is why Brazilian beef is being banned by some countries. It's not at all like mad cow. SF Traveler

Thanks for pointing that out, SFT!!! I forgot to mention that foot-and-mouth isn't a danger to humans.

One benefit for visitors is that there is suddenly a glut of beef on the market because many countries have stopped importing Brazilian beef as a result of the outbreak. That means beef prices are down. You may find some specials at the steak houses and rodízios. At the least prices won't go up for a while, given the drop in the cost of raw materials!

Of course, Brazilian meat of a rather different kind is also still very reasonably priced and absolutely delectable, which is why so many of us are utterly hooked on Brazil! :p

Archived