THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Hotels in Rio-what happened?

bigguyinpasadena
This topic is 6803 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In August I paid a rate of 240 reais per night at the Atlantico Copacabana for the junior suite. It came to $108.00 US per night. That included an extra 25 reais per day for the high speed internet connection, and some taxes as well. I got that booking through the Romanus agency which is recommended here.

In August I paid a rate of 240 reais per night at the Atlantico Copacabana for the junior suite. It came to $108.00 US per night. That included an extra 25 reais per day for the high speed internet connection, and some taxes as well. I got that booking through the Romanus agency which is recommended here.

There is inflation in Brazil, like everywhere else, and that affects prices. Hotels are big energy consumers, and energy prices everywhere have been on an upswing. Those prices have to be passed on to customers when they become too large to be absorbed.

In Brazilian real terms, prices may have gone up some 12 - 15%. This is the time of year that Brazilian hotels begin revising their rates in anticipation of the upcoming high season. Generally the hotels issue their basic rates once a year, around this time. (Rates for New Year's, Carnival or other major special events are always more, of course.)

If the prices are being quoted in U.S. dollars, you're probably getting a double whammy, because the base prices in reais have gone up, and then those prices have been converted using the current unfavorable exchange rates (the dollar having been in the toilet against the Brazilian real for much of this year).

There are small rumblings and noises that the real may start falling again before long. How low it will go is anyone's guess, but it may be anywhere from R$2,50 - 2,80 to the dollar, which will make hotel prices in Brazil better values.

Incidentally, Argentine pesos have been falling in the past few days and were back at A$2,99 to the dollar yesterday. The real may not be far behind in weakening from its present high value, which feels artificially high, considering remaining vulnerabilities in Brazil's economy and the current mega-scandal that may affect political stability in Brazil.

There is inflation in Brazil, like everywhere else, and that affects prices. Hotels are big energy consumers, and energy prices everywhere have been on an upswing. Those prices have to be passed on to customers when they become too large to be absorbed.

In Brazilian real terms, prices may have gone up some 12 - 15%. This is the time of year that Brazilian hotels begin revising their rates in anticipation of the upcoming high season. Generally the hotels issue their basic rates once a year, around this time. (Rates for New Year's, Carnival or other major special events are always more, of course.)

If the prices are being quoted in U.S. dollars, you're probably getting a double whammy, because the base prices in reais have gone up, and then those prices have been converted using the current unfavorable exchange rates (the dollar having been in the toilet against the Brazilian real for much of this year).

There are small rumblings and noises that the real may start falling again before long. How low it will go is anyone's guess, but it may be anywhere from R$2,50 - 2,80 to the dollar, which will make hotel prices in Brazil better values.

Incidentally, Argentine pesos have been falling in the past few days and were back at A$2,99 to the dollar yesterday. The real may not be far behind in weakening from its present high value, which feels artificially high, considering remaining vulnerabilities in Brazil's economy and the current mega-scandal that may affect political stability in Brazil.

Guest dreynsol

Yes, I feel your pain! x(

After the Dollar being 3 and a quarter to the Real roughly a year ago, it is now 2 and a quarter approximately.

And of course, hotels have adjusted their prices accordingly. Many are hesitant about quoting in Dollars any more.

It's still not a bad value, just not as good as it once was.

But, the boyz are just as gorgeous! :-)

- Drey

Guest dreynsol

Yes, I feel your pain! x(

After the Dollar being 3 and a quarter to the Real roughly a year ago, it is now 2 and a quarter approximately.

And of course, hotels have adjusted their prices accordingly. Many are hesitant about quoting in Dollars any more.

It's still not a bad value, just not as good as it once was.

But, the boyz are just as gorgeous! :-)

- Drey

When booking to travel to Brazil, remember to check with Drey and me at http://www.GayTravelBrazil.com We can often get better rates than you'll find advertised, even on a hotel's own website. By purchasing a complete package from GTB, you may find yourself saving more money, because we can usually put together hotels, tours, air transportation, and other arrangements for less than you'd be able to do individually. Of course, there's also the convenience factor of one-stop shopping at http://www.GayTravelBrazil.com and the assurance that you'll be staying at gay-friendly properties where your business is welcome. As experienced gay travelers to Brazil, Drey and I can anticipate a lot of your needs and concerns, especially if this is your first venture to Brazil, and help assure that your trip will be the memorable vacation you expected!

When booking to travel to Brazil, remember to check with Drey and me at http://www.GayTravelBrazil.com We can often get better rates than you'll find advertised, even on a hotel's own website. By purchasing a complete package from GTB, you may find yourself saving more money, because we can usually put together hotels, tours, air transportation, and other arrangements for less than you'd be able to do individually. Of course, there's also the convenience factor of one-stop shopping at http://www.GayTravelBrazil.com and the assurance that you'll be staying at gay-friendly properties where your business is welcome. As experienced gay travelers to Brazil, Drey and I can anticipate a lot of your needs and concerns, especially if this is your first venture to Brazil, and help assure that your trip will be the memorable vacation you expected!

• 1 month later...

BigGuy admits he's full of shit:

bigguyinpasadena Sun Oct-30-05 10:41 AM

Member since Nov 03rd 2002

1694 posts

#92905, "RE: National Public Radio"

In response to Reply # 59

As you can't possibly be as dim as you are coming off in this post I would hope you can see in my post(and repost) above the reason of the withdrawel of the apology which was too hastily granted and after further reflection withdrawn.

I was premature in granting an apology to your fact finding skills.Upon examination of the evidenc provided I felt that you had not provided any evidence to back up your initial accusation.Thus I withdrew the apology with the offer of reinstatement once viable evidence was presented.

This be the way was no "concession"by any use if the term.

Still awaiting either the evidence or the apology,,,,waiting,,,waiting,,,waiting,,,,

BigGuyInPasadena

"We are all in the gutter-but some of us are looking at the stars"

O.Wilde

Just like Al Gore, BigGuy giveth, and then taketh away!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Guest msclonly

What a waste on every string and topic!

Time for you to move on, no matter how upsetting it is or was!

}(

Better to just ignore him. It will hurt more!

:+

Archived