THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Bringing Your Laptop

BgMstr4u
This topic is 7021 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am going to Buenos Aires and Rio next month and would like to bring my laptop, to use the internet and to keep current with work, etc. A friend of mine who has lived in Brazil strongly advised me not to bring it. He is concerned about theft, and also about customs people confiscating it or charging some outrageous "fee" to let it through.

Has anyone had experience with laptops in Argentina or Brazil? Advice?

Thanks!

I have been to Brazil about 9 times. Each and every time I took my laptop with me. I never had a problem with the customs on the way in, or out. Theft can happen any where. But, you are going to keep your laptop in your hotel room, so it is safe unless one of your guests takes it away...

ohgwm226

Ditto. Technically, you're supposed to register the laptop with Brazilian Customs so they can be sure it eventually left the country, but I've never been asked and I don't know of any foreign tourist who has been.

Brazilians or permanent residents entering the country using their Brazilian "green card" DO need to register their computers, because Customs checks Brazilians (for tax and duty avoidance reasons). That way the traveler can be sure he won't be charged duty on his computer when he returns to Brazil after a trip abroad.

A different danger, though, is getting your laptop stolen at the airport! There has been a rash of laptop snatchings lately, especially at Congonhas Airport in São Paulo (the intown domestic airport) but also at the international airport and in Rio. Keep a very close eye on your laptop, especially when you're setting down someplace or you're busy loading your other baggage into a taxi, etc. For safety's sake, MAKE A BACKUP of everything you don't want to lose and leave it at home or at least keep it in a different piece of baggage so it's less likely to be taken if you do get robbed of your laptop.

Archived