THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Brazilian American Shoe Sizes

nycpaul
This topic is 7082 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I used the search feature but couldn't find this information, although I remember reading it on this site before. Would someone please tell me the American conversion for a size 41 shoe in Brazil. I think I remember someone writing that 41 in Brazil is different than 41 in Europe and therefore the standard conversion tables do not apply for Brazilian sizes. Thanks in advance.

If memory serves, Brazilian shoes sizes are usually 1 size LESS than European. So if you wear a European 41, you probably wear a Brazilian 40. If you shop at the very nice Mr. Cat shoe stores (where my friends from Berlin went crazy over styles and prices) they have a conversion chart. On athletic shoes (trainers) you will often find the sizes imprinted on the soles of the shoes, showing American, British, European and Brazilian sizes. Another place to look for shoe sizes is on the underside of the shoe's tongue. Naturally, though, you will try on any shoes before you buy them to be SURE they fit properly, because it's a looooong way back if you have to make an exchange!!! ;)

Guest ihpguy

Tri,

I agree that Mr. Cat is a great shoe store. And the prices are very reasonable and the shoes look very well-made. But everyone keep in mind that the shoes there tend to be narrow. So if you have a wider foot or buying them for someone with a wider foot, be careful

Thanks for the information on the shoe store, Tri. What I am trying to do is buy a pair of sneakers in the US to bring to a friend in Brazil. In Brazil, he wears a size 41. I am trying to figure out what size Nike's to bring to him. Thanks.

Following is a copy of a message from Trilingual dated September 28 2004 that answers your question:

Shoe sizes in Brazil are tricky. Brazilian men's shoe sizes are one number LOWER than their European equivalent (so add 1 to the Brazilian size to know the European size). I copied these charts from some Brazilian websites. As you can see, this is not an exact science!!! The Brazilian shoe size is shown first, followed by its U.S. equivalent:

39 = 7.5

40 = 8

41.5 = 8.5

42 = 9

42.5 = 9.5

43 = 10

43.5 = 10.5

44 = 11

44.5 = 11.5

(I've bought size 11.5 athletic shoes for my BF, who wears a Brazilian size 44.)

Another chart I think may not be quite as accurate shows these equivalents:

38 = 7 - 7.5

39 = 8

40 = 8.5 - 9

41 = 9.5

42 = 10 - 10.5

43 = 11 - 11.5

44 = 12

45 = 13

If you're buying athletic shoes, err on the side of getting a slightly larger size. Any difference can always be made up by wearing thicker socks! If you get something too small, there's no fixing it.

I'd be surprised if the salesman at ANY U.S. shoe store could convert correctly. Charts showing equivalencies with Brazilian sizes are almost non-existent. However, charts showing equivalencies with European sizes are common. To get the Brazilian size, subtract ONE from the European size. I.e., European 42 is Brazilian 41. But remember in all cases that shoe sizing is an inexact science, and the same size can fit differently from style to style and brand to brand. Ultimately, you've gotta try them on to know if they're going to fit!!!

Archived