THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Visa

world traveler
This topic is 7106 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I had posted that being from Canada, I was concerned that my Visa for Brazil was only valid for one year. There was a reply that this probably was incorrect and that I should get the matter straightend out. Was in contact with the Brazilian Embassy and they confirmed that the visa is valid for one year, from date of entry into Brazil.

World Traveler

Two questions: Is this a TOURISM visa or another type of visa? How long are Canadian tourism visas for Brazilian visitors valid?

Non-tourism visas may have different validities. Also, Brazil is a stickler for reciprocity, so if Canadian visas for Brazilians are only valid for 1 year, Brazil will offer the same validity as Canada does. Brazil will also charge the same fees for visas that Canada charges Brazilians.

>Two questions: Is this a TOURISM visa or another type of

>visa? How long are Canadian tourism visas for Brazilian

>visitors valid?

>

>Non-tourism visas may have different validities. Also, Brazil

>is a stickler for reciprocity, so if Canadian visas for

>Brazilians are only valid for 1 year, Brazil will offer the

>same validity as Canada does. Brazil will also charge the

>same fees for visas that Canada charges Brazilians.

This is a Canadian passport with a Brazilian visa. Don't know what Canada offers Brazilians. Cost for me was around $80.00 canadian plus incidental mailing expenses.

WT

Well, you can be pretty sure that whatever you were charged is exactly what Canada charges Brazilians seeking a tourist visa there. You might ask the Canadian immigration authorities how long Canadian tourist visas issued to Brazilian citizens are valid. If they're usually good for more than one year (U.S. visitor visas, as an example, are usually good for five or ten years with multiple entries to the U.S.) then you can ask the Brazilian consulate WHY your visa is for a shorter period, considering Brazil's policy of reciprocity in the granting of visas. U.S. citizens usually get five-year Brazilian visas with multiple 90-day entries.

Good luck in getting to the bottom of this. Having to get a visa every year is ridiculous!

>Well, you can be pretty sure that whatever you were charged

>is exactly what Canada charges Brazilians seeking a tourist

>visa there. You might ask the Canadian immigration

>authorities how long Canadian tourist visas issued to

>Brazilian citizens are valid. If they're usually good for

>more than one year (U.S. visitor visas, as an example, are

>usually good for five or ten years with multiple entries to

>the U.S.) then you can ask the Brazilian consulate WHY your

>visa is for a shorter period, considering Brazil's policy of

>reciprocity in the granting of visas. U.S. citizens usually

>get five-year Brazilian visas with multiple 90-day entries.

>

>Good luck in getting to the bottom of this. Having to get a

>visa every year is ridiculous!

>

>

Yes I agree, getting a new visa every year is a rip off, I also carry a US passport, so even tho the intial cost is higher, I will probably get a visa using my US passport next time.

WT

Guest Valleyman

Brazilian consulates seem to have different policies as to the length of visas they issue. In July 2002 the consulate in Los Angeles gave me a tourist visa that was valid for only 90 DAYS. Other consulates were then issuing visas valid for 5 years.

The policy on visa length can also change over time. When I applied for another visa in October 2003 – also at the Los Angeles consulate -- I was given one valid for 5 years.

>Was in contact with the Brazilian

>Embassy and they confirmed that the visa is valid for one

>year, from date of entry into Brazil.

>

World Traveler -- when did you get this visa? I too am Canadian and I got a 'Visto Turista' last September and it clearly states on it that it is valid for " 5 consecutive years from first entry". What does your visa say on it?

Mike

>>Was in contact with the Brazilian

>>Embassy and they confirmed that the visa is valid for one

>>year, from date of entry into Brazil.

>>

>World Traveler -- when did you get this visa? I too am

>Canadian and I got a 'Visto Turista' last September and it

>clearly states on it that it is valid for " 5 consecutive

>years from first entry". What does your visa say on it?

>Mike

>

i got mine last year and entered Brazil on Oct 5, 2004. Under mine name at the top, there are three XXX marking out something that I cannot read then a /and then reads Multiplas entradas and then it loos like a stamp and that reads 1 ano a partir da prima and i cant read it from there as this stamp is block some of the wording. and then it says 1 year from first entry. But when I faxed the Brazilian Embassey in Ottawa and even faxed them the page from my Passport with the visa on it, they replied, one year. Am not to worried about it, as my passport will expire shortly, and this in fact may be my last trip to Brazil.

WT

Archived