THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Pardon My Ignorance

buttnovice
This topic is 7132 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey gents of the Forum: I will be in Rio for a few days and am looking forward to checking out the termas. My question. . . when you enter, are you obligated to strip down and wear a towel? I know you get a locker. However, do you keep your wallet, ID and credit cards with you? Is there a pocket on that cover-up for your personal stash?

I understand there is a check-out procedure for your time, drinks, rooms, etc. Just curious how secure is this all this?

Looking forward to your advice, and hope triligual will offer his expertise.

no need to strip to the towel - you can keep your clothes on if u want but that will make u stand out like a sore thumb. the lockers are very safe and u do not need to worry about any belongings.

i have had photo equipement, ipod and money/ccs with me several times - I even forgot the locker unlocked once at Club 117 and the attendant took all of my stuff and kept if with him and returned(all intact) to me once he saw me in the locker room.

u will need to retrieve money to pay the boys so u will have opportunity to check ur stuff every once so often (or very often if you are TomCal). the admission, cabins and food/drinks u pay for when u leave.

relax and enjoy - i'll be in Rio for a long weekend on April 8-11. see u there if you are around.

carlos

Possibly you haven't read the semi-world-famous first Brazilian Sauna review, which explains everything in excruciating detail! ;) But the brief answers to your questions are:

Most clients take off their clothes and wear towels in the saunas. A few don't. Usually they prefer to stay dressed, wearing shorts, a T-shirt and flip-flops. It's up to you. If you do go with a towel, all of the saunas in Rio have lockers for storing your clothes and valuables. The lockers aren't huge, so dress simply. Also, even though the lockers have locks and you keep your key with you while you're at the sauna, pilfering isn't unheard of, although not a frequent occurrence. You can protect yourself by only bringing as much money as you expect to need for your evening at the sauna, and leaving the bulk of your cash stashed out of sight in your hotel. Ditto for any other valuables you wouldn't want to lose.

The saunas are secure, and check-out is like checking out of a hotel. You should carefully look at all of the charges to be sure they're for things you bought or authorized. Sometimes things you didn't charge show up on your bill, and you shouldn't have to pay for them, so if such a thing happens point it out to the person at the desk and ask to have it removed from your bill.

I've used my credit card to pay for my sauna charges and never had any problem (the boys, as you probably know, are paid in cash AFTER you've finished your encounters with them). In almost all cases, the charges appear on your credit card statement with some innocuous name. If you're concerned about using your card, just bring enough extra cash to cover your bill when you leave. Unless you're Tomcal (or a Tomcal wannabee) or you order a lot of imported whisky at the bar, R$150 - 200 will be more than enough to cover your bill for the evening.

Hope that answers your questions and reassures you. Don't worry, the saunas are fun and you needn't stress over it! Just look forward to having a good time! :9

I never had any problem in a sauna in Brazil except once when paying a guy: we were in a dark area and he pretended that I had not given him the correct amount. Now I give the money in the full light.

I think that most of the guys are honest. I guess that, if a guy was taken trying to cheat a customer, he would not be allowed again in the sauna.

Butt, when are you going to be in Rio? Maybe you can hook up with a regular for your first visit. I went with Jake my first time. It helped but was not necessary. (I'll be there April 16-23)

One additional comment: the saunas have towel boys who hang out in the locker area. I consider that a level of security from people messing with the lockers. BTW, I always tip him 10 reis when I get my towel and that gets me extra attention.

Ejoy!

Dick

CT Dick's right. The attendant will look after your stuff, particularly if you tip him and you're a regular! The attendants will also offer to hang up your shirt or other clothing somewhere under their supervision where it's less likely to get wrinkled than in the small lockers. However, keep your cash and valuables in the locker. You'll need to get cash from your locker to pay the boys after your encounters.

When I was in Lagoa in Sao Paulo and 117, Point 202, and Estacao in Rio in October of 2004-- I wore a black t shirt and boxer shorts which looked quite sporty along with the flip flops provided and felt QUITE FINE! I never felt out of place, and the guys (clients as well as sauna bois) didn't seem to be too concerned about what I wore.

In previous years I've worn the robe, and that was cool, too! :-)

To the originator of the thread, do read much if not all of the information here; it has been quite invaluable.

Guest ihpguy

Towels. Robes. Shorts. It's Brazil. Don't worry. Have fun and watch your back. When it comes right down to it, you're there to have fun while conducting a business realtionship, the green in your pocket is what they are after, not your love.

Hey all, thanks for the response. Actually I have read everything I could find here on the site and was a little concerned about someone who returned to their locker and was a little "short." Just wondered if there was a more efficient way, like a pocket in the towel, to keep thing$ close by.

Now my next question, where would be a good location in Rio? I'm thinking middle of Copacabana? I recall taxis are pretty cheap and convenient in Rio.

Butt, this is a hot topic here. The Hotel Atlântico in Copa is two blocks from three saunas and not far from Corujinho, the night time cafe we all go to. Many regulars have stayed there and had no trouble 'entertaining' in their rooms. Occasionally they tighten up on guests after an incident.

Several readers here have moved their loyalties to the Royal Rio. It is classier but further away.

Then there is the group that finds Copacabana a bit taudry and they stay in Ipenema.

I don't think there is a ground swell to stay anywhere but these two beach enclaves.

You can do some research on http://www.ipanema.com/ or the FAQ above or use the search on this site.

De gustibus non disputandum est.

Dick

> Actually I have read

>everything I could find here on the site and was a little

>concerned about someone who returned to their locker and was a

>little "short." Just wondered if there was a more efficient

>way, like a pocket in the towel, to keep thing$ close by.

There's no reason to be "short" unless your locker was pilfered (rare) or you neglected to bring enough money with you in the first place. Think about how much you will need BEFORE you go to the saunas.

No, there are no pockets -- they're just towels, not wraps. There might be a pocket in the bathrobes; can't say from personal experience because I've never used one at the saunas. However, pockets aren't all that safe either: things can fall out when you're not paying attention or nimble fingers other than yours can riffle through them! You're better off leaving your money and other valuables in your locker. As said before, nothing in life is certain, and lockers can be pilfered, but it's a rare occurrence. I've been going to the saunas for more than 20 years and have never lost anything there! Just remember to take your key with you after you've locked your locker, and don't leave it hanging in the lock!!!

Archived