THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Expired Passport.

jackhammer91406
This topic is 7135 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The thing happened to me. I called the Brazilian Consulate and they told me to bring the new passport and the old passport with the Visa in it when I travel. I've done this now a couple of times. Brazilian customs looks at the Visa in the old passport to make sure it's current and then stamps my new passport. No problems, no delays.

My Portugese teacher who works at the local Brazilian consulate also told me that this procedure was a possibility. But I'm a worrier, and I decided that I'd rather get a new visa just to avoid problems. And truthfully, I'm not worried about problems with Brazilian customs but with the US airlines who have to check your visa before letting you onto a plane to Brazil. I can readily imagine an overworked airline employee not understanding that your visa in your expired passport was still valid. But it's obviously worked for some, perhaps less paranoid, M4Mers! SF Traveler

Using the two passports is a common practice, and not just for Brazilian visas. U.S. visitor visas are commonly valid for ten years, while passports for most countries are only valid for five. Foreign holders of a valid U.S. visa can use the visa stamped in their old passport along with their new passport for entry into the U.S.

In this case, to be sure you don't lose it, I suggest stapling the back cover of your new passport to the front cover of your old one. Then paper clip the page in the old passport that has the visa on it to make it easy for airline and immigration personnel to find it. This is what I've done, and there's never been any problem entering Brazil.

If you DON'T have a visa, and your passport has less than six months validity left, be sure to renew your passport first before applying for a visa, because Brazil won't issue a visa on a passport that has less than six months validity left.

When I went to the Brazilian Consulate in Miami in December, in search of a new visa, the Brazilian representative herself told me about the 2 passport combination. This is not speculation or happenstance, it is a factual procedure that your worrying or not will not alter.

When did you get your visa? Until now, Brazilian visas have had a 5-year validity. If it says one-year you need to call the consulate and get it straightened out. Also, was your visa a standard tourist visa, or a business visa because you told the consulate you were going to be visiting hotels and doing other things related to your travel business? It's possible that business visas have a shorter validity.

Archived