THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Return to Paradise Part Four

Big Daddy
This topic is 7149 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just confirmed my reservations to return to Paradise to be with meu bebito. I think I have figured out how to use FF miles, at least on Continental. The first thing to remember is that no can mean yes, and yes can mean no, at least in terms of seat availability. It is clear that the airlines try to make booking a seat as confusing as possible, in order to weed out the impatient traveler. It took me a couple of hours of research, but was finally able to book a Business First going to Rio for only 45,000 miles. So far my return is in coach, but for only 25,000 miles. When the Internet reservations agent gave me my confirmation number, I experienced an emotional high, my endorphins really kicking in. It is interesting to note that the Internet reservtions section of Continental has its own stash of seats, separate form the customer service agent you get on the phone. And they do not talk to each other. One thing I would like to say is that the Continental agents were all very patient with me. Once I co-miserated with them on how tough their job was understanding all the ins and outs of booking a FF ticket, they went out of their way cutting through red tape and even waiving fees.

I am returning on May 12th and will be checking into the Atlantico. As usual, will have Carlo book it for me. So far I have been very fortunate, as I have had no issues with the Atlantico, other than a leak in the bathroom. I have Maria take out everything from the fridge, and Wan Hallen and myself go to the mecardo and get what he likes. I also have the telephone turned off except for local calls. It is still too soon in Wan Hallen's recovery from talking on the telephone dependence to tempt him. It is a very easy process. Just tell the front desk, and you can be saved an amazing amount of money (at least I can.) Each time I checked out of the Atlantico, they provided me with a late C/O at no extra charge. Wan Hallen will be coming from Uruacu (five hours from Goiana on a bus)to be with me. I have promised him that there will be "no surprises" in the room waiting for him this time (other than all the stuff that I bring him from the US) Just checked with Varig and a R/T from Goiana to Rio is about $425. Sure wish I could get him an All Brasil Pass, like I can get. I will be in Brasil until June 13th this time, and would like to explore a bit more. Last trip we went to Igacu Falls, which is a not to be missed experience. I will be checking out side trips, many of which have been described here on the board.

I just got a messge from a friend who just returned from Rio. He basically said that Rogers had gone to "hell" and all the boys from our November trip were gone and that Rogers was not getting much business. I hated to hear that in that the owner of Rogers was really very nice to us and I had hoped that it would be successful. He also said the boys at 202 had acquired what he said was a "carnival time" attitude and were insisting on $R100 to $R150. He went on to say 117 was the place to go. He finally met Anderson and was very impressed with him. He did not go to the new sauna, so I guess I will have to rely on Tomcal for his experience.

I am already excited about hitting all my regular spots. Corrujinha's is always high on my list. Hope Jabba is there. It is like we almost vie to see how many boys we can get to sit at our respective tables. I cannot wait to see Joan and the rest of the staff at La Maison. It is on Copacabana Beach, and I love just sitting there, having a leisurely lunch and watch the boys go by. Am wondering if the gorgeous boys working at Por Cao will remember us.

I can go on and on, so should stop. I just got off the phone with Wan Hallen, telling him boa noite. Before I tell all of you boa noite, I do want to take this chance to say how grateful I am to HooBoy for this site. He will be missed. I only knew him from e-mails over the years (am a charter member of the site), but I can say that he dramatically changed my life for the better. Eat, Drink, and GO TO BRASIL, for tomorrow you may die.

Guest dreynsol

Hi Big Daddy,

Glad to hear my experiences there were not out of the norm. Club 117 is definitely the hot spot these days, as reaffirmed by the boys, and they know where the action is! :-)

Maria is going to be so excited to see you!

And, you’re right, it seemed like all the boys wanted to call their relatives this trip courtesy of my suite. I did enjoy talking to Cezar’s 19-year old brother on the phone though, in Porto Alegre.

Have a great time in Rio with Wan Hallen, and maybe you can sneak away to a sauna or two while he’s watching his novelas.

Boa Viagem,

- Drey

I was at Point 202 a week or so ago for the first time in quite a while (I'm a married man now, as you may recall) and it was as active as ever, with rates what they've always been. Of course, it was after Carnival, so it's low season again, but it was a busy night and there were plenty of clients, including foreigners. I was also at 117 recently, inadvertently arriving on the night of its 7th anniversary party, and it was also hopping! Most of my recent excursions have been to Estação, where I've had a good time, too. I haven't been to Roger's recently, but I hope it'll make it. With so much competition in the neighborhood, I think they're going to have to find a market niche for themselves that makes them different from the other places. Otherwise it'll be difficult to survive.

Domestic airfares in Brazil: They are usually MUCH cheaper if you book and purchase them in Brazil. Try the GOL website (http://www.voegol.com.br) which now has an English section and accepts American Express for payment for tickets bought without a Brazilian-issued credit card. The only problem is that GOL just announced a major fare reduction and the website is swamped. In that case, see if Carlo or another Brazilian travel agent can't help you get a ticket here. Varig and TAM aren't as cheap as GOL, but they're going to be facing a lot of competition and undoubtedly will start offering lower prices to be able to fill their planes, too.

Thank you for the link to GOL. The Varig fare for Wan Hallen is $R950. The GOL fare is $R400. A huge difference. Wan Hallen for some reason is very scared about flying GOL. Do they have a history of flying dangerous? I tried to get a link to TAM, but could only get their North American site. Do you have a link to their Brasilian site. I can navigate in Portuguese OK. Wan Hallen is a nervous flyer. He absolutely refused to take the heliocoper excursion at Iagacu Falls. He got mad that I would put my life at risk by going by myself. I guess my question is GOL scarier than a heliocopter?

I don't know of any reason to be afraid of flying GOL. I've used them any number of times. It's a young airline, with a modern fleet, and a good safety record as far as I know. They've recently inaugurated international service to Buenos Aires and soon will be flying to Santa Cruz and La Paz, Bolivia. As a budget airline they don't serve meals (just drinks and little boxed snacks), concentrate on Internet sales (no network of ticket offices), and only issue e-tickets. However, the ground and on-board service is as professional as any of the other airlines. I certainly will use them in the future.

GOL's base is in SP, and it's often necessary to stop or connect there to reach other destinations in the South or Center-West of Brazil. Some of its flights from Rio to Northeastern destinations are multi-stop, too. It can be a bit less convenient, but worth it for the savings in air fare.

Air fares in Brasil

I strongly suggest everybody visiting Brasil that whenever you plan to buy an internal air ticket, don´t do it through the websites, for they don´t have the best rates. Consult any local travel agent for they will be able to get you a better rate.

Now if you plan to travel extensively throughout Brasil (e.g. Foz do Iguaçu, Manaus, Porto Alegre etc...), it must be more advisable to buy a Brasil airpass which can only be purchased through an US or Europe Travel Agent.

Rigth now there´s an ongoing fare war and it´s really difficult to say which airline is cheaper because it changes everyday. So consult your agent (any agent, no specific one, as I don´t want to be accused of soliciting business here!)

Um abraço a todos,

RE: Air fares in Brasil

That's so true. I had no idea why this happened, until Carlo's explanation, but I bought a ticket for my Brazilian friend to go with me from São Luís to Salvador and on to Rio. I was already on my TAM pass and we were thinking of getting him a GOL ticket, but after just stopping by at the TAM office at the São Luís airport, we got a fare that was cheaper than GOL - about 750 reais, and allowing a 2-day stop in Salvador. TAM's internet fare was much higher, about 1200 reais, I think.

RE: Air fares in Brasil

In the past, some other posters have mentioned being able to get very good last-minute fares by going from one airline counter to the next at Brazilian airports. It's possible that the airlines still are willing to sell cut-rate tickets near flight time in order to fill seats that would otherwise go empty. There may be other explanations, as well. This is a good reminder of why it pays to at least check with a local travel agent in Brazil about airfares covering your itinerary.

Archived